Tajon Buchanan

nolando

I was watching Bruges but listening to Barça and loved his liveliness, also he was very dedicated defending, deep into his own box covering attackers. Great discipline.

Then all my pirate feeds went late 1st half and I went to watch Barça in a bar.

I'm saving on cable packs this fall until the WC, today was a day I missed them.

Marca the Spanish paper loved his match. Says their normally more reliable left side with Renildo was overcome totally by Buchanan, then of course Jutgla had his way too.

Were surprised Tajon had the time on the ball for the assist, critical of the Atletico defence, which needs help (even before the match they were saying this).

Rated highest on the pitch Tajon, Jutglà and Mignolet.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Marca the Spanish paper loved his match. Says their normally more reliable left side with Renildo was overcome totally by Buchanan, then of course Jutgla had his way too.

Were surprised Tajon had the time on the ball for the assist, critical of the Atletico defence, which needs help (even before the match they were saying this).

Rated highest on the pitch Tajon, Jutglà and Mignolet.

He did a good job of protecting the ball with his back to the defender, which enabled him to hold up play until Jutgla got in position

15 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

He did a good job of protecting the ball with his back to the defender, which enabled him to hold up play until Jutgla got in position

AS, the Madrid paper, called it a futsal play. 

As I say, first time I have ever read anything about Buchanan in the Spanish press and it is a major wake-up across the board, in El País as well, says his crosses sizzled through the defence and did not find a head; in El Mundo they felt that they handled him well enough in spite of everything and then Atletí had their chances in the late 1st half. Sport says he was a terror down the right. 

16 hours ago, Jack1997 said:

1-0 Brugge, is this Brugge team legit?

The draw was slightly favourable for CB.

However the other 3 teams are all rated higher going in.

So they are definitely punching above their weight.

If they can win the group they also get a possible easier opponent in the first round of the knock out stages

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

More ratings, read Sport today and they rated highest on the pitch my remote relative Jutglà, 9/10, and Buchanan and Mignolet, 8/10. 

Definitely can't wait until next month to see Tajon on a big stage like the World Cup

16 hours ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

Geez the second I stop watching, they score :)   As an aside, I'm getting one of my vibes, this time about the NT.  Everything seems to be falling into it's place, hopefully not too early.  I think they'll do well in the WC, they may not win or advance but I get the feeling the story will be good.

Wait till you see my W/C crystal ball's prediction.😃

13 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

AS, the Madrid paper, called it a futsal play. 

As I say, first time I have ever read anything about Buchanan in the Spanish press and it is a major wake-up across the board, in El País as well, says his crosses sizzled through the defence and did not find a head; in El Mundo they felt that they handled him well enough in spite of everything and then Atletí had their chances in the late 1st half. Sport says he was a terror down the right. 

I know some didn't agree with my take on the Uruguay game but Davies and the NT team really missed Buchanan. With him on the pitch Davies would have had more free space to dribble and Tajon would have been a menace on his side. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think Buchanan may be the 2nd most important player on this team. Yes, ahead of David and Eustaquio.

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

I know some didn't agree with my take on the Uruguay game but Davies and the NT team really missed Buchanan. With him on the pitch Davies would have had more free space to dribble and Tajon would have been a menace on his side. The more I think about it the more I'm inclined to think Buchanan may be the 2nd most important player on this team. Yes, ahead of David and Eustaquio.

Can't agree on Eustaquio.  Tajon plays a sexier game but if we can't take and keep the ball in midfield and thereby prevent it from going in our net, the Buchanan's skill are not going to be enough against good teams.   That does not include set piece contributions, distrubution to David, Davies and Buchanan and his increased ability to join attacks, if we decide to play him that way. 

1 hour ago, Sal333 said:

David has 35 goal contributions in 34 matches. Tajon has 10 in 25. We definitely miss him when he's gone, but I wouldn't consider him more important than either David or Eustaquio at this point. I hope he'll keep on evolving though. Great player

29 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

David has 35 goal contributions in 34 matches. Tajon has 10 in 25. We definitely miss him when he's gone, but I wouldn't consider him more important than either David or Eustaquio at this point. I hope he'll keep on evolving though. Great player

Hard to disagree with those numbers, but I agree (in part) with @Sal333, just in terms of the way Buchanan changes the complexion of our team.

Aside from more goal contributions, David was fantastic as a release value against the USA in Hamilton (and Toronto for that matter), but there was also the Panama game at BMO where I don't recall much of anything from him. The same can be said about the El Salvador Honduras game at BMO, though to be fair Buchanan never had a good game either and was at fault for the PK. Of course, David then pulled off brilliant stuff away to Honduras and El Salvador, and Buchanan had fine games down there too, although without any truly spectacular moments like David had. 

I just think that with Buchanan we have a player who will tirelessly run at defenders and use his trickery to advance the ball and get us out of trouble. I find David has more of a tendency to drift out of games when he is not on the ball, but Tajon is never isolated in that way and so he's more consistently a thorn in the side of the other team, if that makes sense. I know that's partly down to the position each one of them plays as well. 

So, I guess all that is to say I see the argument of Buchanan being more important than David, depending on how you frame things. I would disagree about Eustaquio though. For me he is critical for this team in a way that David and even Buchanan are not. 

Edited by Obinna

24 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Can't agree on Eustaquio.  Tajon plays a sexier game but if we can't take and keep the ball in midfield and thereby prevent it from going in our net, the Buchanan's skill are not going to be enough against good teams.   That does not include set piece contributions, distrubution to David, Davies and Buchanan and his increased ability to join attacks, if we decide to play him that way. 

Except with Buchanan on the pitch, Davies becomes exponentially more dangerous. The opposing teams can't double and triple check him because that would expose them on Buchanan's side.

Trust me I thought about your points but Tajon's presence on the pitch changes the opposing team's tactics. The Uruguay game was eye opening. They actually gave Canada's offensive attack lots of respect. The problem was they were thinking of the Canadian attack with Buchanan.

Jeeze, I still see  Davies trying to dribble past three, four Uruguayans. You think that would happen if Buchanan was on the pitch? If they tried it, he would burn them down his side.

Having said this, I understand your points about Eustaquio. So I'll offer an olive branch, I want to see both players on the pitch in Qatar so we don't have to see who is right.

32 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Have to agree with this. Tajon is a top-four player for us, but we at least have other options on the wings if he goes down. Who replaces Eustaquio in the middle?... I can't think of a single player. That includes injured and healthy current squad members, uncommitted dual nats, and even a guy who has a tiny chance to come out of retirement. Eustaquio is our best CM, hands down.

1 minute ago, DeRo_Is_King said:

Have to agree with this. Tajon is a top-four player for us, but we at least have other options on the wings if he goes down. Who replaces Eustaquio in the middle?... I can't think of a single player. That includes injured and healthy current squad members, uncommitted dual nats, and even a guy who has a tiny chance to come out of retirement. Eustaquio is our best CM, hands down.

But those options don't match Buchanan's contribution. We used those options against Uruguay and our offense sputtered. It's not just Buchanan's play that's added to the equation. It's how he affects the opposing teams tactics. They can't afford to blanket Davies like Uruguay did in the friendly. They have to keep player(s) on Buchanan which will give Davies more space to attack.

I remember Hercules Gomez saying that Mexico literally feared Davies and I'm sure that sentiment applies to most NTs. But how much will they fear him if they can afford to throw 3 or 4 players at him. With Buchanan they can't afford such a strategy. And none of our options can do what Tajon does. Attacks and also frees up space for Davies.

11 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

Except with Buchanan on the pitch, Davies becomes exponentially more dangerous. The opposing teams can't double and triple check him because that would expose them on Buchanan's side.

Trust me I thought about your points but Tajon's presence on the pitch changes the opposing team's tactics. The Uruguay game was eye opening. They actually gave Canada's offensive attack lots of respect. The problem was they were thinking of the Canadian attack with Buchanan.

Jeeze, I still see  Davies trying to dribble past three, four Uruguayans. You think that would happen if Buchanan was on the pitch? If they tried it, he would burn them down his side.

Having said this, I understand your points about Eustaquio. So I'll offer an olive branch, I want to see both players on the pitch in Qatar so we don't have to see who is right.

Very good point on Buchanan compounding the effectiveness of Davies. It works vice versa as well, I would say. 

By contrast, I don't think David necessarily makes Davies (or Buchanan) more effective. I still feel the potential of Davies-David-Buchanan hasn't been fully unlocked. Hopefully WC is the start of that. Those 3 need to be starting up front, in my opinion. Buchanan was super impressive against Uruguay, and we saw how good he looked vs. Atletico yesterday.  

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

But those options don't match Buchanan's contribution. We used those options against Uruguay and our offense sputtered. It's not just Buchanan's play that's added to the equation. It's how he affects the opposing teams tactics. They can't afford to blanket Davies like Uruguay did in the friendly. They have to keep player(s) on Buchanan which will give Davies more space to attack.

I remember Hercules Gomez saying that Mexico literally feared Davies and I'm sure that sentiment applies to most NTs. But how much will they fear him if they can afford to throw 3 or 4 players at him. With Buchanan they can't afford such a strategy. And none of our options can do what Tajon does. Attacks and also frees up space for Davies.

I agree 100 per cent with your point that having Buchanan on frees up space for Davies. However, I think you can change formation to account for his absence. If something happens to Eustaquio, I just don't see how you replace that quality in the middle of the park. You just can't get around that position with a formation change.  

3 minutes ago, Sal333 said:

There's no doubt that when Tajon is on his game as he was yesterday, it becomes very difficult to defend both flanks. The speed and trickery of  Davies & Tajon is intimidating and both are responsible defensively if required. I would really like to see David, Davies & Tajon up front with an extra mid behind them vs Belgium & Croatia. Trying to rank players is very subjective. I mean we finished 1st in WCQ playing many  games without Davies. Staq is a stud in the midfield and has an incredible engine. Watching him at Porto, he is all over the field defending, passing and attacking. It's quite incredible. I'm just glad we have a blue chip core that keeps getting better.