Tajon Buchanan

nolando

3 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Geographical aside, but why do so many of us use the French spelling/pronunciation for the Flemish city that Tajon plays in? Just because it's easier to say? We don't talk about Gand or Anvers (although we do use the French name of the famous battle town of Ieper).

Because its the clubs name?

5 hours ago, jonovision said:

Geographical aside, but why do so many of us use the French spelling/pronunciation for the Flemish city that Tajon plays in? Just because it's easier to say? We don't talk about Gand or Anvers (although we do use the French name of the famous battle town of Ieper).

It's a good question actually. We use the Flemish for most Flemish teams, but not Brugge. Likely has to do with traditions in English. 

On 10/1/2022 at 9:14 PM, jonovision said:

Maybe I am  misunderstanding as well. Are you saying we say "Club Bruge?"

It's Brugge in Flemish, Bruges in French. The club was first Brugsche FC (apparently a southern Flemish spelling) but was varients of Club Brugeois through a lot of the 20th century.  Club Brugge Koninklijke Voetbalvereniging (Flemish again) is from 1972. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

20 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Maybe I am  misunderstanding as well. Are you saying we say "Club Bruge?"

It's Brugge in Flemish, Bruges in French. The club was first Brugsche FC (apparently a southern Flemish spelling) but was varients of Club Brugeois through a lot of the 20th century.  Club Brugge Koninklijke Voetbalvereniging (Flemish again) is from 1972. 

Yes, I hear it all the time, and some Canadian podcasters were even harping on other English sports announcers for saying Brugge instead of the soft-g Bruges(although English people don't pronounce Brugge correctly either, as the Flemish/Dutch 'g' sound doesn't exist in English).

1 hour ago, jonovision said:

Yes, I hear it all the time, and some Canadian podcasters were even harping on other English sports announcers for saying Brugge instead of the soft-g Bruges(although English people don't pronounce Brugge correctly either, as the Flemish/Dutch 'g' sound doesn't exist in English).

I think you are setting the bar pretty high for commentators, I am just a little happy when Engish commentators say Davies and not the "Davis" that is normal for them. 

I have heard the English say BROO-GUH for Bruges, (a bit of French but all the way) so more defaulting to what they know again.   But they say tako for taco. 

I only know this from Old English, but the IPA symbol for last constanent in Brugge is a voiced velar fricative, not really any g  we know, and as you say, not easy to say.  

I think you can go too far the other way.  There was an American commentator for BEIN that was doing the Argentina-Jamaica game last week.  He obviously spoke Spanish and could trill or whatever all the Argentine names but he also tried with the Jamaican names.  Michail Antonio's name is only partially Spanish, if at all and he is not at all.   

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Geez the second I stop watching, they score :)   As an aside, I'm getting one of my vibes, this time about the NT.  Everything seems to be falling into it's place, hopefully not too early.  I think they'll do well in the WC, they may not win or advance but I get the feeling the story will be good.

Just now, Joe MacCarthy said:

Geez the second I stop watching, they score :)   As an aside, I'm getting one of my vibes, this time about the NT.  Everything seems to be falling into it's place, hopefully not too early.  I think they'll do well in the WC, they may not win or advance but I get the feeling the story will be good.

🤞