Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

10 hours ago, LeoH037 said:

Err... he has literally NEVER done that. You may not like the guy, but that's no reason to defame his character with blatant lies. If anything, he has done the opposite in regards to Davies. If anything he likely knows the kid better than anyone on this board, as he has had actual intimate conversations with him multiple times, and is likely in a better position to judge his character than anyone here.

He literally does it all the time in fact. He did it yesterday and admitted that he's done it in the past. He said anyone who thought he would factor in to Bayern so quick would be kidding himself. He said that because he was on record saying he wouldn't. So now he has. So that's a really funny way of saying you were wrong. Why would you accuse me of not telling the truth about information that is publically accessible? Look he's a pundit. He gives his opinion. Doesn't mean he can't be wrong. Media people are on the air all the time shaking pom poms. I'm just curious to know why he's so reluctant to shake pom poms for Alphonso Davies?

And further.. this is why soccer media in this country sucks. We have one or two guys who go around and everyone accepts them as the gospel. For instance I was watching Fox Deportes last night after Leon lost and they were having a melt down. 5 guys arguing completely disagreeing. All I could think is wow, you would never see anyone challenge any opinion on air talking soccer in Canada

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

He literally does it all the time in fact. He did it yesterday and admitted that he's done it in the past. He said anyone who thought he would factor in to Bayern so quick would be kidding himself. He said that because he was on record saying he wouldn't. So now he has. So that's a really funny way of saying you were wrong. Why would you accuse me of not telling the truth about information that is publically accessible? Look he's a pundit. He gives his opinion. Doesn't mean he can't be wrong. Media people are on the air all the time shaking pom poms. I'm just curious to know why he's so reluctant to shake pom poms for Alphonso Davies?

To be fair, there’s no way most people thought Davies would be doing what he’s doing and so quickly.  He’s there because of a series of injuries in the Bayern squad that resulted in him getting playing time.  I don’t see what Kristian Jack has stated to be in any way negative; conversely, he’s been pretty supportive of Canadian soccer and Davies.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

To be fair, there’s no way most people thought Davies would be doing what he’s doing and so quickly.  He’s there because of a series of injuries in the Bayern squad that resulted in him getting playing time.  I don’t see what Kristian Jack has stated to be in any way negative; conversely, he’s been pretty supportive of Canadian soccer and Davies.  

So most people were wrong it means they were right? I said he would do what he's done for all the reasons he has done what he's done. Phonzie is a freak, (not because he could do a couple step overs and run fast)MLS is underrated and it's easier to play great football playing with great players. I said that and I heard other people say it. I also said he has undeniable star quality. Clearly that's also true. So when your right your wrong?

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

So most people were wrong it means they were right? I said he would do what he's done for all the reasons he has done what he's done. Phonzie is a freak, (not because he could do a couple step overs and run fast)MLS is underrated and it's easier to play great football playing with great players. I said that and I heard other people say it. I also said he has undeniable star quality. Clearly that's also true. So when your right your wrong?

Other than Phonzie is a freak and the MLS is underrated, I don’t follow what this has to do with the original points.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, JamboAl said:

Other than Phonzie is a freak and the MLS is underrated, I don’t follow what this has to do with the original points.

First.. just because you can say a lot of people were aligned with your way of thinking (apparently) it doesn't mean you weren't wrong

Second.. When people are excited because a 19 yr old Canadian is the talk of the football world and people in Vancouver, where he is an absolute hero, are asking you to comment on it, just be excited bro. Get carried away like everyone else. Dont start the exchange with "yah but.... blah blah blah" pretend he's Jozy Altidore or Jonathan Osorio or whatever you got to do. Just be excited. Its easy

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

First.. just because you can say a lot of people were aligned with your way of thinking (apparently) it doesn't mean you weren't wrong

Second.. When people are excited because a 19 yr old Canadian is the talk of the football world and people in Vancouver, where he is an absolute hero, are asking you to comment on it, just be excited bro. Get carried away like everyone else. Dont start the exchange with "yah but.... blah blah blah" pretend he's Jozy Altidore or Jonathan Osorio or whatever you got to do. Just be excited. Its easy

That is so on point. Tomorrow, KJ will be waxing poetically about every run of the mill MLS player and why this MLS season is poised to be the greatest ever because all the off season moves have been amazing. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've only seen him on TV a few times during visits home, but I'm pretty comfortable with saying Kristian Jack is a very **** pundit. I get far more insight talking to a random dude down at the pub than I have ever gotten from him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I dont mind KJ either.  He seems to know his stuff.  Look at some of the other goober pundits on TSN...geesh.  I also dont care what he thought about Davies going to Bayern or what he thinks now, Everyone had an opinion and is entitled to one.  I havnt seen where he has slagged Davies, but KJ not being as excited as the biggest Davies fans isnt a crime.  We are the fans, we are the ones supposed to lose our minds.  

As for Davies, I didnt think he was going to walk onto one of the best teams in Europe and dominate.  Plenty of people on this board were hoping for a nice loan out this season.  He has upped his game10fold and deserves all the attention and praise.  I think most of us were hoping he could break through, but its mind blowing to think hes done it so quickly.  It could have gone the other way very easily, he could have been buried on the bench with no chance to shine.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think lots were itching for Davies to go on loan - 74' in all the last half of last year, no more than 45' in any game in the league until late October this one.  Probably the only reason I wasn't is that I tend to default to players staying where they are until there is a very compelling reason to change. 

But sometime you need an opportunity to show what you can do, he got one and did. 

Long may it continue and be repeated.  And we need to use it, as crass as it might sound. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Anyone catch the Bayern game?  Looks like Davies was subbed of at 63’ so I am hoping he didn’t get injured.  

They are up 6-0 and have made all substitutions, I’m not watching the game but I’m assuming it’s just because they are cruising.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, Alex said:

They are up 6-0 and have made all substitutions, I’m not watching the game but I’m assuming it’s just because they are cruising.

There was some crowd trouble about that time.  Will check once our game is done. 

But part of it was probably they wanted to give Hernandez some minutes. 

Update: 

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2020/2/29/21157395/hoffenheim-vs-bayern-munich-lineups-live-stream-how-to-watch-bundesliga-updates-highlights

Bayern Munich game stopped over anti-Hoffenheim crowd banner
 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 The bayern fans insulted the hoffenheim billionaire owner who apparently is very disliked in Germany. The last 10 minutes was the players just kicking the ball amongst themselves. It appears to be a show of solidarity, I just wish the same thing happened for racism. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the issue is the thought is the owner props up Hoffenheim because they're traditionally not a huge team. You know like Chelsea and Man City. That's what I read, maybe I'm wrong. People have een threatening his life and supporters have displayed banners saying they're going to kill him and members of his family. I'm passionate about football but c'mon give me a break

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I think the issue is the thought is the owner props up Hoffenheim because they're traditionally not a huge team. You know like Chelsea and Man City. That's what I read, maybe I'm wrong. People have een threatening his life and supporters have displayed banners saying they're going to kill him and members of his family. I'm passionate about football but c'mon give me a break

Yeah but more extreme  than that. Chelsea made the Champions League before Abramovich and City has a been a 1st or sometimes 2nd tier team for pretty much all their history.  From what I read Hoffenheim were an 5th division team when this guy took over. 

Also an interest thing I found in my reading, Flick - Bayern's current interim(?) coach was the same with Hoffenheim back in those 4th tier days.  Probably explains his reaction today. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
43 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Yeah but more extreme  than that. Chelsea made the Champions League before Abramovich and City has a been a 1st or sometimes 2nd tier team for pretty much all their history.  From what I read Hoffenheim were an 5th division team when this guy took over. 

Also an interest thing I found in my reading, Flick - Bayern's current interim(?) coach was the same with Hoffenheim back in those 4th tier days.  Probably explains his reaction today. 

Sure but I think it's been accumulating for a while and supporters have been warned so it just didn't happen in a vacumn. Anyways I don't want to derail. I'm no fan of the Red bulls of the World and agree with a financial fair play and people voicing concern etc etc but at a certain point it just comes off as froot loopland and people should put things in perspective 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

No idea if this will work for you lot or whether he will be playing for that matter. (Though I see Hernandez and Boateng may be out)  But I thought I would share before getting busy for the evening. 

LIVE 🔴 FC Schalke 04 vs. FC Bayern Munich | DFB-Pokal 2019/20 | Quarter Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGz9NSsjgsM

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No idea if this will work for you lot or whether he will be playing for that matter. (Though I see Hernandez and Boateng may be out)  But I thought I would share before getting busy for the evening. 

LIVE 🔴 FC Schalke 04 vs. FC Bayern Munich | DFB-Pokal 2019/20 | Quarter Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGz9NSsjgsM

 

Google says he is at LB

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

No idea if this will work for you lot or whether he will be playing for that matter. (Though I see Hernandez and Boateng may be out)  But I thought I would share before getting busy for the evening. 

LIVE 🔴 FC Schalke 04 vs. FC Bayern Munich | DFB-Pokal 2019/20 | Quarter Finals

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VGz9NSsjgsM

To the delight of the Voyageurs forum, the commentator with the English accent is pronouncing his name as Davies!

Edited by Norrin Radd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...