The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

9 hours ago, Obinna said:

Very interesting. If you come across it please share.

Let's assume that is true. Why do you think we see Davies successfully underlap with Bayern at LB, but not with Canada? Any theories?

Absolutely. I’ll have a look for the quote again but I admit to reading way too much hype after that game. 

That’s your observation, not mine. I would need to rewatch Canada’s matches before I’m convinced that it’s even true. Keep in mind that I’ve defended Davies at LB since Carl Robinson was getting flack for testing him there and he’s come leaps and bounds since then.

Bayern play better combinations all over the pitch, not just this one circumstance. As you noted they have more time to train together and they have world class talent in every position.

I don’t agree that under lapping runs are the only way to free Davies from a LB position and I don’t agree that Canada’s attack is left with Davies taking players on in our own half without them. We’re a better team than that. People are placing so much emphasis on one or two games when they say it can’t work.

Those runs are actually quite a risky play. If the pass is over hit then it’s an attack the other way with both wide players caught up the pitch. Beautiful and effective when it comes off but risky too. I see no reason why Canada couldn’t utilize them, but I wouldn’t build our attack around them either

33 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Video of Bayern practice.  Davies catches up to Kimmich and takes away the ball like nothing.

https://media.giphy.com/media/jOhIkGUpeGeqCBCoOX/giphy.gif

And if you play him on the flank of midfield in a  4-2-3-1, you get him to generate more midfield turnovers out of the press as well as providing defensive support for the LB.

Davies ball winning ability is off the charts. Cough cough, check the records I was saying that from the start. Ask yourself a simple question. Against even weaker competition in Concacaf, yes even weaker than Chelsea ;) , where do you want him taking the ball from the other team, 30 yards from our goal or 30 yards from their goal?

Someone mentioned Bale earlier. I have said it before as well, that is the best comparison I can come up with. Both crazy athletic left siders (I use left sider instead of left back or left winger as they have the ability to just lock down the side from wherever). Bale started to get used more attacking and even central, not sure if that will happen with Davies but stylistically I see similarities between the two.

12 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

I actually think Bale is overrated. Real Madrid fans definitely agree. He has a couple unreal attributes but he doesn't have the work ethic or the mentality that Phonzie has. I agree on the comparison but Phonzie is better player hands down. 

Hopefully soon but not yet at Bale's prime at least.   (Though he seems to have regressed since he clipped his ears) 

Broke my heart as Joe Cole had scored after coming back his return. I was at the other end and did my ankle jumping down the stairs when that gave us the lead. 

33 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Tottenham didn't win in 22 games with Bale at fullback. He's about as smart as bag of nails. He couldn't figure out a position if the position was missionary. He can run really fast and can strike a ball. That's about it

Ha. He was not playing left back for the entire "24 game Curse of Bale," remember, so the narrative breaks a little.  (It breaks if you include Europe or cups as well.) But I would hardly call his first couple seasons with them -  his prime. 

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Tottenham didn't win in 22 games with Bale at fullback. He's about as smart as bag of nails. He couldn't figure out a position if the position was missionary. He can run really fast and can strike a ball. That's about it

Also, Davies' German after a year is way better than Bale's Spanish after how many years?

10 minutes ago, BFBF said:

I suggest everyone listen to BBC live football daily's Most recent episode. High praise for Davies, and David also mentioned.

The impact of this emergence could be so huge, not just for young canadians but influencing potential dual nationals. At the moment watching the pair of them which players wouldnt want to be in a team with them?

6 minutes ago, toontownman said:

The impact of this emergence could be so huge, not just for young canadians but influencing potential dual nationals. At the moment watching the pair of them which players wouldnt want to be in a team with them?

That was the sad part about Tomori for me.  He could have been a key element in a potentially good team.  And I don’t just mean “good for Canada” - I mean objectively good.   With the attacking players we have, and the solid midfield, we are just a couple of good centres backs away from being a really solid team.  

Kristian Jack on the radio in Vancouver basically saying anyone who thinks Davies shouldn't play LB for Canada is nuts. He also claims Davies had a hard time integrating in to Bayern because he's and intervert. What planet is this guy on. He also says anyone who thought Davies would factor in to Bayern so quick would have been fooling themselves. But they would have been right? He also says we need to calm down on the hype because it could go to Davies head. Why doesn't Jack just go work for ESPN and beat it.

The most high profile soccer pundit in this country and I've never heard him talk about Alphonso Davies without an attempt to throw some cold water on to him

Edited by SpursFlu

Sounds like he doesn’t really understand him as a player or person at all.  By all accounts he integrated very quickly at Bayern and was singing Whitney Houston at his first preseason.  It’s all dependent on our pool as well where he plays.  But he has been his best as a winger for Canada and Canada has been at its best with him as a winger - that is without question IMO. 

It’s too bad we don’t have a truly standout LB or this might be easier. I think he’ll rotate depending on need and that’s okay. 

His insane ability gives us great options. No problems with that. If we have a LB that works and is on form he can play higher up and vice versa if we have on form attackers. He gives us ability to play a few different ways depending on our need. We dont need to be tied up in a LB or LW debate, he can play anywhere including goal :)

8 hours ago, El Diego said:

Someone mentioned Bale earlier. I have said it before as well, that is the best comparison I can come up with. Both crazy athletic left siders (I use left sider instead of left back or left winger as they have the ability to just lock down the side from wherever). Bale started to get used more attacking and even central, not sure if that will happen with Davies but stylistically I see similarities between the two.

Please don't insult Davies by comparing him with quite possibly the most overrated player of the last decade.

7 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I actually think Bale is overrated. Real Madrid fans definitely agree. He has a couple unreal attributes but he doesn't have the work ethic or the mentality that Phonzie has. I agree on the comparison but Phonzie is better player hands down. 

Easily. Bale was a passenger for all of Real Madrid's Champions League victories.....a tying header in 2014 and a couple of fluke goals against Liverpool don't make up for the fact he was categorically the worst player on the pitch whenever he did play in those finals....2016 I'll give him some props I guess. 

But yeah, first touch, composure, technical ability are all things the Phonz possesses that Bale has always lacked.

Edited by Macksam

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

The most high profile soccer pundit in this country and I've never heard him talk about Alphonso Davies without an attempt to throw some cold water on to him

Err... he has literally NEVER done that. You may not like the guy, but that's no reason to defame his character with blatant lies. If anything, he has done the opposite in regards to Davies. If anything he likely knows the kid better than anyone on this board, as he has had actual intimate conversations with him multiple times, and is likely in a better position to judge his character than anyone here.