Jump to content
jpg75

The Importance of Alphonso Davies

Recommended Posts

The derailment of this thread (a source of joy for so many of us) and, what's worse, the resurrection of T.I.O.R/Robert, is perhaps the worst thing about the coronavirus pandemic. 

And yes, I know 18,900+ people have died worldwide.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, T.I.O.R. said:

Robert will do just fine, Bison44.

Never mind about your subjective passion. Let's look at some actual numbers instead.

The IIHF claims to have a membership of 81 countries. Can you believe it? I wouldn't have, until I just looked it up. See for yourself at: https://www.iihf.com/en/associations

Anyhow, for argument sake lets play along with their silly illusion of grandeur. For some inexplicable reason there does not appears to be a IIHF/Coca-Cola ranking for these 81 hockey-playing countries, but just for fun let's say there has always been one. Let's also look at Canada as having two epochs. A pre-Gretzky era and a post-Gretzky era. Lets also assume that there have been 81 national ice hockey associations from the beginning. (I still find it hard to believe that there's 81 countries in the world that have hockey rinks.) Anyhow, during both the pre and post Gretzky eras, do you suppose the lowest ranking for Canada would have ever been 40th in the world, because that's the highest the CMNT has ever been in the FIFA/Coca-Cola rankings?

There's your smoking gun, @admin! Do what you must.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, nolando said:

Davies valued as the third most expensive teen in the world at a cool 92.5 Million Euros!! https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp288/en/

Interesting that Jonathan David is not even on the list, even though Josh Sargent comes in around 16 mil and Timothy Weah around 11 mil. We know that Gent rejected an offer of 25 mil, so his value is at least that. All the players listed are from the big 5 leagues, so that's probably why he does not show up. Assuming David has the highest value in Europe outside the top 5 leagues, he probably comes in around number 22 on that list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One of my favourite Soccer podcasts “Total Soccer Show” does listener questions. It’s an American podcast but last week I asked who had a higher ceiling, Pulisic or Davies. Fun response which I’m glad a whole wack of USMNT fans had to listen to.

 

https://total-soccer-show-usmnt-champions-league-epl-and-more.simplecast.com/episodes/the-minnow-xi-assembling-the-best-team-from-the-smallest-soccer-nations-plus-pulisic-v-davies-and-more-listener-questions (It’s about 30 min in)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, nolando said:

Davies valued as the third most expensive teen in the world at a cool 92.5 Million Euros!! https://football-observatory.com/IMG/sites/b5wp/2019/wp288/en/

This article is pretending Alphonso Davies doesn't even exist. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/football/jadon-sancho-erling-braut-haaland-borussia-dortmund-spt-intl/index.html

They literally list out the "top 5" players, but exclude Davies and include 6th ranked Hudson-Odoi.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Kent said:

This article is pretending Alphonso Davies doesn't even exist. https://edition.cnn.com/2020/03/23/football/jadon-sancho-erling-braut-haaland-borussia-dortmund-spt-intl/index.html

They literally list out the "top 5" players, but exclude Davies and include 6th ranked Hudson-Odoi.

So Trump was right about cnn being fake news.....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 4/3/2020 at 10:02 PM, Kent said:

Speaking of his pace, has anyone heard any speed measurements for him? Am I crazy for thinking he looks faster than Mbappe?

Second fastest at Bayern according to these guys.

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2019/12/3/20993458/bayern-munich-fastest-player-alphonso-davies-kingsley-coman-serge-gnabry-jerome-boateng

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

Speed in football is overrated. Its speed with ball control that's important. Phonzie has great tight control. For instance, Messi would lose many foot races but he can go at full sprint and the ball always seems to stay within a tight space to his feet. Its incredible 

This is why I never understand why players and coaches warm up by running and jogging without a ball. I always warm up with a ball, even when I stretch I keep a ball next to me. Once a coach asked me why, j told him I already know how to run, I'm learning to run with a ball at my feet

Edited by SpursFlu

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Speed in football is overrated. Its speed with ball control that's important. Phonzie has great tight control. For instance, Messi would lose many foot races but he can go at full sprint and the ball always seems to stay within a tight space to his feet. Its incredible 

This is why I never understand why players and coaches warm up by running and jogging without a ball. I always warm up with a ball, even when I stretch I keep a ball next to me. Once a coach asked me why, j told him I already know how to run, I'm learning to run with a ball at my feet

Speed matters when you're a defender. Look at how Davies has used to speed to chase down forwards.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Speed in football is overrated. Its speed with ball control that's important. Phonzie has great tight control. For instance, Messi would lose many foot races but he can go at full sprint and the ball always seems to stay within a tight space to his feet. Its incredible 

This is why I never understand why players and coaches warm up by running and jogging without a ball. I always warm up with a ball, even when I stretch I keep a ball next to me. Once a coach asked me why, j told him I already know how to run, I'm learning to run with a ball at my feet

Your anecdote suggests that this person was undoubtedly incompetent as a football coach.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Mikmacdo said:

Speed matters when you're a defender. Look at how Davies has used to speed to chase down forwards.

Because he is often out of position, in defensive terms. 

Plenty of great defenders have compensated relative slowness with great positioning and anticipation. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Mikmacdo said:

Speed matters when you're a defender. Look at how Davies has used to speed to chase down forwards.

I'll give you that sure being fast is an asset especially in defense but I was talking more in an offensive context. And of course the foundation of running fast with a ball is being able to run fast so I wasn't trying to suggest being a fast runner is a negative thing

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Movement without the ball, getting to loose balls, making probing runs, keeping up with runners etc, speed is an asset in all these things.  The threat of a speedster getting behind the defense, will make a coach change his whole game plan.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
51 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Movement without the ball, getting to loose balls, making probing runs, keeping up with runners etc, speed is an asset in all these things.  The threat of a speedster getting behind the defense, will make a coach change his whole game plan.  

No you want players who can run faster with the ball than they can without the ball

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

No you want players who can run faster with the ball than they can without the ball

There's 0 players ever who can run faster with the ball than without 😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...