The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Saw this on TranferMarkt.

https://www.transfermarkt.us/bayern-plan-to-renew-alphonso-davies-contract-quot-we-award-good-performances-quot-/view/news/355763

Relevant quote that I love to see:

The new contract would run until 2025 and would see a significant pay increase. Davies has seen his market value grow to $44 million, which makes him the most valuable U21 left-back on the planet. 

Edited by Copes

Minor note from the Bayern game. Davies played LB but it was a tight game (not a ton of running room). With 5 minutes to go, they subbed Hernandez on and put him at LB and pushed Davies up. He created 2 chances with his speed right away (if Gnabry wasn't a dink, he'd have an assist too).

Maybe the winger dream isn't dead for Davies (and maybe the LB isn't as locked up as I thought). But wouldn't mind if late in games Davies was pushed up field if Bayern were ahead to hit teams on the counter.

4 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

Minor note from the Bayern game. Davies played LB but it was a tight game (not a ton of running room). With 5 minutes to go, they subbed Hernandez on and put him at LB and pushed Davies up. He created 2 chances with his speed right away (if Gnabry wasn't a dink, he'd have an assist too).

Maybe the winger dream isn't dead for Davies (and maybe the LB isn't as locked up as I thought). But wouldn't mind if late in games Davies was pushed up field if Bayern were ahead to hit teams on the counter.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see more of that. He looked dangerous and it’s a great option when the opposition is pushing for a goal like today. His pace will kill teams that leave space in behind the defenders. I’d like to see him start there at some point too but they just keep winning with their current setup 

One of my favorite positions for him ( which I use on My Fifa Ultimate team, haha)... Is Davies as a LW in a 3-5-2. 

It was nice seeing him higher up the pitch on the weekend. It's amazing how much more accurate and precise his crosses and passing has become in under 12 months. His 1v1 defending has also gotten so good,  incredible work ethic and in an excellent environment.    

It's still incredible to think he could comfortably play LB, LW or RW at this high of a level. 

Really cheering for Davies and Bayern to have a deep CL run.  As a massive CMNT and a huge footy fan in general, I think it's simply incredible to have a Canadian play a significant role in CL contender.  

2 hours ago, Mikej said:

I like the idea of the 3-5-2. I would love to see us try it with Hoilett on the other wing. Or alternatively swap in Laryea and play him and Davies as wingbacks against tougher competition. 

I am warming up to it, depending on the opponent. I would put Laryea on the opposite flank to Davies (or Brault-guillard for that matter). Hoilett I would pair with Cavallini or David, or those two could play in a two and drop Hoilett to the bench.

As time goes on I see Junior as a super sub. He still has a lot of quality that can change games and he often comes from the bench at Cardiff City so it's not unfamiliar territory for him. I prefer that to shoe-horning him into a right wingback spot just to get him on the field. He's still got a good change of pace, but he's not as physically dominant as before. I really can't see him busting up and down the line. His game now is more about floating inside and creating. He can take players on from the outside too, but throw in the defensive responsibility and I think it's a big ask.

26 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Three at the back requires at least a couple of smart, mobile and confident centre backs?

Are we there yet?

Short term we could play Hutchinson at the LCB spot, medium to long term it is looking like Cornelius/Miller.

For RCB, I think Jakovic could do the job short term. Medium term it's probably Henry (if not also short term), who is not short on confidence or mobility. Smarts on the other hand...jury is still out.

In the middle, I like Vitoria or Hutchinson short term. Big question about who is suitable to lead from that spot long term.

A lot of teams play with 4 in the back, but in posession the defensive midfielder drops between the two centre backs and the full backs push high....

Piette or (especially) Eustaquio would be effective as that defensive midfielder I think.

Edited by Obinna

It's perfect.. or you have Hoilett paired with Cavallini up top and start Laryea at RWB.  

With Hoilett at RWB:

-------Cavallini---Larin---------

-----------------David--------------

----------Arfield--Piette----------

Davies-----------------------Hoilett

---Cornelius-Vitoria-Hutch----

-----------------Borjan-----------------

Davies and David both in their club positions. 

4 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Three at the back requires at least a couple of smart, mobile and confident centre backs?

Are we there yet?

3 CB's better than 2 CB's when you're talking about CANMNT these days!  

No but seriously.  I also agree, been crying for it since the Gold Cup, 3-5-2 suits our squad so much more than 4-3-3 this cycle.  Waterman has been doing great for IMFC in a back 3 too.  

16 hours ago, CanadaFan123 said:

It's perfect.. or you have Hoilett paired with Cavallini up top and start Laryea at RWB.  

With Hoilett at RWB:

-------Cavallini---Larin---------

-----------------David--------------

----------Arfield--Piette----------

Davies-----------------------Hoilett

---Cornelius-Vitoria-Hutch----

-----------------Borjan-----------------

Davies and David both in their club positions. 

Serious doubts about Hoilett there. How is he defensively compared to Laryea for instance? You can put Richie there and keep David and Davies in their club positions. 

12 hours ago, costarg said:

3 CB's better than 2 CB's when you're talking about CANMNT these days!  

No but seriously.  I also agree, been crying for it since the Gold Cup, 3-5-2 suits our squad so much more than 4-3-3 this cycle.  Waterman has been doing great for IMFC in a back 3 too.  

Yup, Waterman continues to impress and looks comfortable. 

2 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Serious doubts about Hoilett there. How is he defensively compared to Laryea for instance? You can put Richie there and keep David and Davies in their club positions. 

Yea, i agree, my lineup would have Laryea first option then ZBG. People forget that Laryea is a converted RB, reason why he's good going forward. 

25 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Playing with Cardiff in the EPL he had to do quite a bit of defending.   I don't think he's the most ideal RWB ever but Laryea isn't the best defender either and has just one year experience in the position.  

I'd rather have a natural right sided player there and one that is used to that position. When was the last time Hoilett even played on the right wing? No need to shoe horn him there. Layrea or ZBG should be our best bets in that position even if they aren't at the same ability/skill level attacking as Hoilett they are at least trained as defenders. 

27 minutes ago, CanadaFan123 said:

Playing with Cardiff in the EPL he had to do quite a bit of defending.   I don't think he's the most ideal RWB ever but Laryea isn't the best defender either and has just one year experience in the position.  

I get your point, but I would argue defending as a winger is different than as a wing back. Not that Hoilett can't learn and adjust, but I don't think it's the best use of him. Like I said before, his stregth is cutting inside from the left with his right foot and playmaking (or shooting from distance). He won't be able to do that as a right wing back and to be frank, I don't think he has the legs for an extended run at the position. In an emergency situation he could probably slot in there as cover I guess. Moreover, Laryea and ZBG are younger and have nice ceilings at the position and are nearing their physical peak while Hoilett is coming down from his, so I think it makes sense to invest in them and let Hoilett focus on creating offense because that is what he does best. So I respectfully disagree on this one, despite agreeing with you on many other things!

3 hours ago, Aird25 said:

Are we really playing to our strengths if we sacrifice a player further up the pitch just to play with an extra CB? That's our weakest position

Yup. Can you imagine if a CB or 2 get hurt? We would go even deeper in our already weak selection.

Having 3 makes no sense for this team. We simply don't have the depth for it.

32 minutes ago, Colliedor said:

Yup. Can you imagine if a CB or 2 get hurt? We would go even deeper in our already weak selection.

Having 3 makes no sense for this team. We simply don't have the depth for it.

That was also behind my post earlier.  

We have better depth and talent at central midfield and winger than at central defense  Which is where you are taking a player from, to allow for a 3rd centre back. 

A few others points.  

- Davies has done amazing and looks like he learned a lot in last 6 months but he is playing beside one of the best left backs in the world playing as a centre back.  He has great cover. Not sure we have that yet even with an extra defender. 

- Some teams play three at the back all the time (I can think of Wolves and Sheffield United off the top of my head) but they have a different set of opponents to us I think.   We should be able to batter most of the teams we face with any offensive formation.  (When we haven't it has been errors at the back, for the most part.) We then have a handful of teams that are a level above.  Not sure that is the best use of three at the back.  Teams will also use three at the back to stop the bleeding, defensively, which is I guess is option against those few teams but that seems very temporary.  Playing it all the time should be based on your talent pool or your ability to buy players to fulfill the three slots and training with it for years.

Not sure that is us, right now.  

The 3-5-2 is an interesting one for sure, I don't think we are quite there yet for the CMNT but perhaps.

It can actually morph into a quite a solid defensive formation (5 at the back) but as mentioned above it can take years to imply and learn it properly. 

I was mostly commenting how I like Davies in the LW/LWB spot on my Fifa team but even at Bayern in a back 4 he still has quite a bit of freedom to roam forward. 

I think against minnows  on the CMNT even if we set up with a back 4 our FBs will be able to go pretty high up the pitch in any type of 4-3-3.