The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

54 minutes ago, spitfire said:

He won’t play tomorrow I don’t think that’s the national team travel day the camp starts Monday...

For some players. All the MLSers play at the exact same time on Sunday.

14 minutes ago, RS said:

For some players. All the MLSers play at the exact same time on Sunday.

Yes but they don’t have an 8 hr trans Atlantic flight to Toronto from Munich and the MLS games are all today aren’t they...

Edited by spitfire

He was nominated for the Golden Boy award with Tuttosport. Right beside De ligt, Donnarumma and the other big guns.

Who would have thought that when he was 16.

22 minutes ago, Mikmacdo said:

Its really up to Bayern. Not what he does for team canada. 

Not really.  If he serves us better as an attacking LW, I don't care if Bayern throw gloves on him and put him in net.  At least for the next couple of years (until he would maybe be totally reshaped as a LB) what bayern does with him in no way dictates what we should do.

Maybe it's just me but the progressions in his game in just under a year has been insane, insane in a good way. 

I know some are calling for a winter transfer window for more mins but if he is going to get 50 appearances across BM as a sub with full 90 min games with the reserves, why change it? Especially with his age and the clear positive progression development being made in his game. 

I personally would prefer he stays with BM for the remainder of the year. Obviously BM knows best, but I'm hoping we don't see a winter transfer.

2 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

Maybe it's just me but the progressions in his game in just under a year has been insane, insane in a good way. 

I know some are calling for a winter transfer window for more mins but if he is going to get 50 appearances across BM as a sub with full 90 min games with the reserves, why change it? Especially with his age and the clear positive progression development being made in his game. 

I personally would prefer he stays with BM for the remainder of the year. Obviously BM knows best, but I'm hoping we don't see a winter transfer.

It seems like one of those rare situations where either option is good.  He is either in a top class playing environment and getting some minutes while training with truly world class players or (likely) getting tons of time at a next-tier club still playing in a top league. 

7 minutes ago, apbsmith said:

I just like what stability can do for you, especially at a top class outfit. I would even like David to stay a little while, where he is.  We have had so many European nomads over the years.

1 hour ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

He had a relatively free role in what I saw as a 4-4 (narrow) -1 -1.  Popped up on both sides of the pitch from what I saw.

If being hyper-critical, I would say he could he driven into the box more and looking for them to commit and take a penalty. 

I hear people mentioning 4-4-2 diamond, 4-4-1-1.  All i saw was a clear and obvious 4-2-2-2.  Fraser and Piette were lined up just in front of the CB's.  Arfield and Osorio were just ahead busting their lungs wide and narrow and everything in between.  Davies and David parked it a little further up the field making runs and waiting for the through-balls.  Laryea (and Miller to a lesser extent) supplied a little more width high up.  With any of the middle 4 dropping back and filling the gaps.  It was a thing of beauty. 

Great strategy, can't believe they all bought into that system and played it so well the first time. "Soccer IQ". 

Also need to mention Herdman knows how to explain what he wants, knows how to sell it, and knows how to instill the belief required.

1 hour ago, costarg said:

I hear people mentioning 4-4-2 diamond, 4-4-1-1.  All i saw was a clear and obvious 4-2-2-2.  Fraser and Piette were lined up just in front of the CB's.  Arfield and Osorio were just ahead busting their lungs wide and narrow and everything in between.  Davies and David parked it a little further up the field making runs and waiting for the through-balls.  Laryea (and Miller to a lesser extent) supplied a little more width high up.  With any of the middle 4 dropping back and filling the gaps.  It was a thing of beauty. 

Great strategy, can't believe they all bought into that system and played it so well the first time. "Soccer IQ". 

Also need to mention Herdman knows how to explain what he wants, knows how to sell it, and knows how to instill the belief required.

Great strategy. It's as if we had everyone taking care of the same job but leaning toward the things they do best where they do it best. So we had Piette deeper and more defensive than Fraser who was further back and more conservative than Arfield and Osorio. But all came back, and all played positive to the proper degree. It all added up to a perfectly complementary midfield.

It's still surprised and delighted at how much real soccer we played last night.

Davies looked so comfortable on the ball yesterday, even when he was double or tripled teamed. At times it looked like he was toying with the US defenders...the way he did in his last MLS season. His best performance in a Canada shirt as a free striker...wonder if that presents another option for Bayern? Could he sub for Lewa?

16 minutes ago, Kadenge said:

Davies looked so comfortable on the ball yesterday, even when he was double or tripled teamed. At times it looked like he was toying with the US defenders...the way he did in his last MLS season. His best performance in a Canada shirt as a free striker...wonder if that presents another option for Bayern? Could he sub for Lewa?

Yeah he was given a lot of lisense and used it. He's clearly feeling his oats hanging around with the BM guys and their BDE.

Edited by Lansdude