The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

11 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, it is an interesting position to be in.  He doesn’t start, but is close enough to the starting 11 that Kovac trusts him as a sub.  That is pretty hugs at a club like Bayern - and it is hard to be disappointed about that kind of a role at his age.  I do wonder if his transfer fee creates pressure to find a way to play him rather than loan him but I suspect Bayern are far too pragmatic to be swayed by something like that.   

What Bayern paid for Davis is beer money that no one on the team will lose any sleep over if it doesn't pan out.  They paid probably 3 times as much for Renato Sanches after Euro 2016 and were quick to cut him loose at a loss to Lille. Davis is getting his minutes on merit and not because Bayern is worried about his transfer value going down.

With Alaba's injury and Hernandez also not fully fit, looks like Davis will see some serious minutes at LB in the next few games.

13 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Nice to see Davies continue to make the bench for a champions league fixture. They only carry a bench of 7 in champions league. 

They basically have no choice. Hernandez is out again and Alaba is back this game after not playing for Bayern all of September if I'm not mistaken. They're like one wrong step/bad tackle away from Davies being their starting LB 

7 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, a lot of this is down to Spurs not liking each other in the slightest. 

Yah time for a turnover but I would say like PSG, Madrid, Barcelona. It doesnt mean your good enough to play in the Bundesliga it means your good enough to play for Bayer Munich, which is a whole other thing

Edited by SpursFlu

1 hour ago, king1010 said:

Doesnt get the start today despite the injuries. 

Yes Pavard there. Defenders not usual substituted but maybe need more natural left-footedness and attack-mindedness there. Hoffenhiem been resilient.

Update:  Now three at the back and Perisic came in on the left side. Sule and Boateng are too slow as a two.  

Update 2: Remains on the bench in a 1-2 loss. Only 2 subs used in a poor performance.

Easy to armchair manage but they needed speed on the left side of defence, see what happens going forward.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Kovac does not trust the youth and instead prefers to shoehorn Pavard on the left.

Easy for me to say from my armchair, but if you don't trust an 18 year old Davies against Hoffenheim, why not play Kimmich on the left and Pavard on the right? I don't get it.

Bayern message boards are ripping Kovac to shreds and deservably so.

Many of the posters were calling for Davies to start this one at LB and some want him to get more chances in general. 

Good to get confirmation that we are not simply being biased Canadians when we say Davies should play more.

Edited by Obinna

36 minutes ago, Floortom said:

He doesn’t play enough for a developing 18 year old. Needs to go on loan and get some real minutes.

I dont even think he needs to go on loan. I think Kovac needs to wake up. Davies is very raw, but he can play at this level right now.

What he needs is more opportunities to refine his game, but Kovac does not have the guts to play young players, probably because he is afraid to drop points. A coach like Pep or Klopp have the full backing of their club, but it has never felt like that with Kovac at Bayern. His position as coach has always felt in danger.

I don't think a loan would hurt Davies and probably it will come down to that if Kovac doesn't get fired or doesn't change his ways.

Edited by Obinna

My only thought on this is that he needs minutes he needs to play really to continue to develop the reason why he grew at VWFC in my opinion he was playing week in and week out.

if he’s not playing regularly by Christmas he needs to get out on loan to a mid table team for the 2nd half of the season and smash it then come back preseason and really push to get that starting spot...

imho