The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Bayern have a busy schedule coming up so I hope he can finally get a start. 

They play this Saturday, 3 days later they travel to Greece, 4 days later they have a league game, then a cup game 3 days after that. 4 days of rest then they play 3 games in 8 days before the international break.

So that’s 7 games in 3 weeks? 

Bayern draw 2-2 while Davies stays on the bench. 

I'm honestly surprised Kovac hasn't given Davies a decent shot at taking Coman's role. Coman is a good player, don't get me wrong, but he's very mechanical. I think Davies has a much higher ceiling and already has game breaking ability with some confidence. 

35 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Bayern draw 2-2 while Davies stays on the bench. 

I'm honestly surprised Kovac hasn't given Davies a decent shot at taking Coman's role. Coman is a good player, don't get me wrong, but he's very mechanical. I think Davies has a much higher ceiling and already has game breaking ability with some confidence. 

I think it’s fairly obvious that Davies isn’t in Kovacs plans at this point. Even with all of Bayern’s injuries Phonz hasn’t really ever had a shot. Hopefully he gets a good loan opportunity 

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

I think it’s fairly obvious that Davies isn’t in Kovacs plans at this point. Even with all of Bayern’s injuries Phonz hasn’t really ever had a shot. Hopefully he gets a good loan opportunity 

I am getting to that point, watched that today and Bayern needed something refreshing.  The opposition keeper was spilling everything and they needed few more direct attacks and they would have been well out of sight before the end. 

If Davies is not that for Kovacs, then a half a year may be in order.  Beating a sorry Spurs team, does not make up for lacking a cutting edge in the league, too often.  

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

Yah I’d give him a 6.5 /10.

solid performance. A bit too cautious actually going forward but I guess that’s too be expected as he was focused on his defensive responsibilities.

overall a solid performance that shows he can be counted on.

I just saw parts, the first 30 and 15 minutes of the second half but that was my take as well.  

In fact, the reason I watched only that was it was because of my team's game where I remember thinking he looks the almost the opposite player as Pablo Zabaleta at this stage of his career.

Zabaleta knows exactly when to head forward, when stay back and exactly when a full back can contribute offensively.  (He just does not have the legs to do it now)

Davies has all the legs in the world, just needs to learn the position still and defaults to playing it safe, which is the better conscious choice to make when your team should have a bunch of other offensive weapons.

His quick feet serve him well as a defender, incidentally.

His play on that goal was great, but also demonstrates how careful/tentative he plays going forward with Bayern. After he received the ball back on that give-and-go he could have literally run past that last defender. Instead he made an early pass to Lewandowski who wasn't in exactly the best position, and a bit of luck was needed to open up the defence.

Hopefully as he gains confidence he starts doing more with the ball at his feet. Nevertheless, looks like it was a solid performance by Phonzie!

BM doesn't need to rely on Davies to score, or even set up goals, for that matter.  They have enough offensive weapons so anything from him is a bonus.  Coaches likely have him on a tight leash and told him to focus on the defensive end.

I watched the game and he didn't look out of place at all.  Are people forgetting he doesn't turn 19 for a couple of weeks?  

Watched the entire match closely and thought he had a strong game. He made a couple of early errors but gained confidence as the match went on. Thought his first touch was good, and opened his body up well to execute accurate passes which aren’t as easy as they look. 

People seem to forget that he’s playing for Bayern in the Bundesligs and not in the MLS. Tactics and structure are completely different so as I’m sure we’d love to see him gallop down the field taking people on, that’d likely be the quickest way he can find himself planted on the bench. He is also playing with many demanding players (who happen to be some of the best on the planet) who demand the ball, accurately, quickly and often.

His time will come. He is 18 years old playing for a giant of world football beside some of the best players to have ever played. Think about that.

I expect to see massive things from Alphonso. Let’s sit patiently and watch.

He’s definitely playing it safe but I thought he had a solid game. A lot of good one touch passes in tight spaces, some decent defensive plays and interceptions. 

Only attacking moments I can remember are the Lewandowski goal he kind of assisted, a blocked shot, and one quick burst of speed past a defender to get a cross in. 

At least he proved he’s not a liability out there. 

Kovac considers not making a mistake more important than anything else. He seems like a very scared manager, which is weird for Bayern. The fact that Davies was clean was very good. If Davies had scored a goal and assisted another, but made a couple mistakes at the back, Kovac wouldn’t play him. Clean responsible play is more important it seems. I think Davies will get more time if he keeps showing his desire to play Kovac’s way.

Did anyone read the latest Kovac/Bayern story on goal?

This is a man who is terribly afraid of getting sacked, I am telling you...

"What Liverpool did yesterday showed that they deserved to win the Champions League, but you also have to have the types of players," Kovac said to reporters.

"We must accommodate what we have. You can't try to go 200 [km/h] on the Autobahn when you can only go 100. You simply must accommodate what we have.

"We have different player types. We must find the right mix and I find that our Gegenpressing is also good, and, of course, it can always get better."

"What are we talking about, eh?" he said, referring to Klopp's four years in charge at Anfield. 

"About continuity. About time. Which apparently you no longer have in football."

Edited by Obinna