The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

10 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

the one caveat about this is the average NFL play is what...10-15 seconds?  players are not continually in motion, and depending on what position (eg offense or defense, special teams, etc), may not see much game time vs what a soccer player does week in/ week out

There are far more explosive movements in gridiron football than in soccer. I don't think there's a reason NFL players would regularly come back sooner from such an injury, aside from that sport's frequent disregard for the health of its players.

Edited by jonovision

13 minutes ago, jonovision said:

There are far more explosive movements in gridiron football than in soccer. I don't think there's a reason NFL players would regularly come back sooner from such an injury, aside from that sport's frequent disregard for the health of its players.

Agreed with the explosiveness of NFL players. You’ll usually see only 1 game missed. You definitely need to be fully healed to play a game. However it is far easier to manage an injury in an NFL game

8 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Well, all of this is a reminder of what we are missing most at the moment: depth.  We've got suitable depth to get us through qualifying in our rinkydink confederation, but the WC is a different beast altogether.  

But this team isn't going to cave if they don't have Fonzie. 

Even the deepest team would struggle to deal with the loss of one of the top 20 or 30 players in the world.

24 minutes ago, cornerkick said:

the one caveat about this is the average NFL play is what...10-15 seconds?  players are not continually in motion, and depending on what position (eg offense or defense, special teams, etc), may not see much game time vs what a soccer player does week in/ week out

It doesn’t matter what sport, you wouldn’t rush a professional athlete back before they’re fully healed. Explosive movements with an injured hamstring would risk much more serious/long term injury. No team would risk that.

5 minutes ago, frmr said:

It doesn’t matter what sport, you wouldn’t rush a professional athlete back before they’re fully healed. Explosive movements with an injured hamstring would risk much more serious/long term injury. No team would risk that.

NFL teams risk their players' health constantly with poor medical decisions. Just ask Tua.

1 minute ago, jonovision said:

NFL teams risk their players' health constantly with poor medical decisions. Just ask Tua.

I don't doubt that, but letting a professional athlete play with a torn hamstring is something that I don't even think the meat grinder that is the NFL would do.

44 minutes ago, The Beaver 2.0 said:

Well, all of this is a reminder of what we are missing most at the moment: depth.  We've got suitable depth to get us through qualifying in our rinkydink confederation, but the WC is a different beast altogether.  

But this team isn't going to cave if they don't have Fonzie. 

Horrible to lose Max but at least at keeper we have the depth you speak of. No team in the world can replace Davies, however.

2 hours ago, Floortom said:

This is a good study on hamstring strains (again, if it’s a serious tear than he’s out for Qatar and this study isn’t relevant)

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/11/929#ref-3

it analyzed hamstring strains in NFL athletes over 10 years and finds that:

41% of players with the injury returned in less than a week, another 41% returned between one and three weeks, and only 18% of injuries lasted longer than three weeks.

Similar study - this time on NCAA soccer players.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4532185/

average return to play was 7 days for men. The range was 1-156 days with  75% of players returning within 4 to 12 days.

26 minutes ago, TOcanadafan said:

With this kind of speculation, I’m also worried that Bayern might not be completely truthful about diagnosis / test results.

I get that might be an issue for friendlies or even some qualifiers.   But I think CSA would be fairly assertive when it comes to their marquis player at the WC.   And Phonzie himself would be looking for every opportunity to play. I doubt an overly cautious approach wins the day under these circumstances.  The last time he was out we were dealing with a heart issue    This is pretty different.   

For me the real concern is that hamstrings can get tweaked again if someone comes back too early.  Unless it is serious I think we may get him back in time.  The real question is whether or not it is durable enough at that point to last the tournament.  

Just now, TOcanadafan said:

With this kind of speculation, I’m also worried that Bayern might not be completely truthful about diagnosis / test results.

FIFA mandates that the club must release an injured player to be assessed by doctors for the national association. That's to stop players being unjustly held back from friendlies or qualifiers. The idea that a club will try to hold a player back from the World Cup on spurious grounds is ludicrous.