The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

39 minutes ago, Ally McCoist said:

I was going to post a few weeks back saying that we've had so much good fate and luck throughout qualifying that watch us get fucked over by an injury before the World Cup...  

Did you forget we didn't have Davies for half the matches and Borjan and Hutch were missing for one window?

10 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He was creamed a few times vs Haiti think it was. We were lucky Honduras or El Salvador weren't playing for keeps. 

You trust CONCACAF refs and rivals over Bundesliga?

In any case, this wasn't a foul, he was all alone when it happened, for me your "roughed up" point doesn't make sense.

Roughed up, over worked. Same shit. Pick your poison.

For the people talking about the compressed COVID season and 3 match international windows, I don't think that plays a role in Davies' injury. Remember that he missed all of January, February, and March (at least, don't remember when he was back for Bayern) with his heart issue.

If the World Cup was in the summer, who would have been missing? When was Osorio hurt, might have been after the World Cup would have started. Hutch would have been out. I think Kennedy would be out either time. Henry probably would have been out, but I am just going off of memory here.

Plus if it was in the summer perhaps the MLS season would have had to be more compressed and could have caused physical strain on all the other MLS guys. So Kaye, Piette, Miller, Johnston, Laryea (or he might've not come back to TFC yet I suppose).

Injuries suck. They can happen at any time, and they can be for any length of time. You can blame FIFA and Qatar for a lot of things, but injuries I think is maybe a bit much. I would be interested in seeing some statistics though about how many players will miss the World Cup due to injury compared to other years, but I'm sure that's tough to calculate since you can't prove that the injured player would have been called up if they were healthy (of course in some cases it is obvious).

Another problem with this injury is the impact it has on game planning.   Herdman would have, no doubt, had by now an idea of the game plan and players needed to carry out that game plan.  It obviously would have included Davies.    With this news, if it means Davies is out, it throws a big monkey wrench into the whole plan.   That might be the bigger concern than the absence itself.

Edited by Free kick

I don't think it looked very serious, but that's just to say that it didn't look like he'll be out for several months. It could non-serious and he could still just miss the World Cup, so even a non-serious hamstring injury could be extremely serious within the current context.

All we can do is hope. We dodged a bullet with the kick to the face. Twice lucky?

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Wheeler is being ridiculous. The best case scenario is not disastrous. The best case scenario is Davies takes a week off and is fully fit for Qatar - and that’s still entirely possible.

I’m in no way a Gareth supporter for the most part, but I think he’s reaction is how a majority of people on this forum are feeling.

1 minute ago, Floortom said:

Wheeler is being ridiculous. The best case scenario is not disastrous. The best case scenario is Davies takes a week off and is fully fit for Qatar - and that’s still entirely possible.

Yeah that was a little much. Speaking as somebody that quit my studies for two hours and went scrambling for any news possible… this was a little much, lol

This is a good study on hamstring strains (again, if it’s a serious tear than he’s out for Qatar and this study isn’t relevant)

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/11/929#ref-3

it analyzed hamstring strains in NFL athletes over 10 years and finds that:

41% of players with the injury returned in less than a week, another 41% returned between one and three weeks, and only 18% of injuries lasted longer than three weeks.

3 hours ago, Ally McCoist said:

I was going to post a few weeks back saying that we've had so much good fate and luck throughout qualifying that watch us get fucked over by an injury before the World Cup...  

We had the exact same bad luck (Davies absent) in WCQ as we are facing now.

1 hour ago, trc2014 said:

I’m in no way a Gareth supporter for the most part, but I think he’s reaction is how a majority of people on this forum are feeling.

The disaster scenario is Davies doesn't play and Canada doesn't get out of the group. Meanwhile the most likely scenario with a healthy Davies is Canada doesn't get out of the group. 

Edited by jonovision

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

This is a good study on hamstring strains (again, if it’s a serious tear than he’s out for Qatar and this study isn’t relevant)

41% of players with the injury returned in less than a week, another 41% returned between one and three weeks, and only 18% of injuries lasted longer than three weeks.

Post of the Day!

1 hour ago, Floortom said:

the one caveat about this is the average NFL play is what...10-15 seconds?  players are not continually in motion, and depending on what position (eg offense or defense, special teams, etc), may not see much game time vs what a soccer player does week in/ week out

Edited by cornerkick