The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

Tabla is a wing player because his trickiness should mean some crosses and a few shots from the side. It favours his dribble. He has not shown us he's a mid with pace moving the ball around, with vision around him, with back passes, with a bit of pause. He is not fast, more tricky and he is daring with his skill, not his speed. So he cannot be an attacking mid like Scotty, Hoillet, Osorio, our best bets for now.

Davies is fast and I think as a 2nd attacker or on either side is more dangerous. But maybe when he gets to Bayern that will change a bit. Depends how they tailor him. We can see Ballou is more cautious and judicious with the ball since he's been at Barça, maybe not so spontaneous, but in control more. 

So I think it is fair to think Ballou is not starting for our best XI and Davies is up high, and Tabla for now is coming off the bench if needed, like Millar. 

On 11/23/2018 at 4:49 PM, MtlMario said:

I never was sure if I should mention this but now that we are on the subject....... at the last Canada game in Mtl. (you know the one that the crowd went home in a cab) Davies was standing by the players bench before the game (about 6 feet away from me) and didn't respond to me twice. I am not trying to say anything bad about his character, just saying what happened to me at that certain time. Cheers.                                                                                                 BTW all I wanted was to take a picture with him.

That's too bad.  I met him in Toronto after TFC beat Vancouver 5-2 in the Voyageurs Cup final this year.  He was one of the only players willing to take a pic with me, and even signed my Canada jersey.  I respect him

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Tabla is a wing player because his trickiness should mean some crosses and a few shots from the side. It favours his dribble. He has not shown us he's a mid with pace moving the ball around, with vision around him, with back passes, with a bit of pause. He is not fast, more tricky and he is daring with his skill, not his speed. So he cannot be an attacking mid like Scotty, Hoillet, Osorio, our best bets for now.

Davies is fast and I think as a 2nd attacker or on either side is more dangerous. But maybe when he gets to Bayern that will change a bit. Depends how they tailor him. We can see Ballou is more cautious and judicious with the ball since he's been at Barça, maybe not so spontaneous, but in control more. 

So I think it is fair to think Ballou is not starting for our best XI and Davies is up high, and Tabla for now is coming off the bench if needed, like Millar. 

This may be good for Barca, but it hasn't been good for us.

I would describe his play with Canada as "out-of-sync".

Perhaps the Tabla who played with the Impact was "less controlled", but he would have fit in much better in the Canada team, I think. 

In the Dominica game, he would slow things down when his teammates wanted to play quickly.

Maybe there's a way to use those tenancies to our advantage, or maybe he needs to adjust. That's on Herdman to figure out though.

Edited by Obinna

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We can all hope that Davies gets lots of chances at Bayern pretty quickly, but Robben got 2 and Riberry 1 in Bayern's 5-1 Champios League win over Benefica today.  Davies will have to push like crazy to displace one of these guys anytime soon.  

Maybe seeing Davies in training scared them into getting their act in gear ;)

20 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

We can all hope that Davies gets lots of chances at Bayern pretty quickly, but Robben got 2 and Riberry 1 in Bayern's 5-1 Champios League win over Benefica today.  Davies will have to push like crazy to displace one of these guys anytime soon.  

If we are cheering for Davies minutes.....

We want BM to go on a deep CL run.  Bayern's two best wingers are 34 & 35.  Robben has admitted himself he can't play 90 mins 2-3 times in one week anymore and rapports already showing he is taking Davies under his wing.

The deeper Bayern's CL run goes.... more clogged the schedule becomes :).... and hopefully some minutes for Davies. In my opinion, there is no doubt BM will give Davies his chance, what's to be determined is what he does with his opportunities. Exciting times!

Edited by apbsmith

On 11/27/2018 at 7:16 PM, dyslexic nam said:

Ironically, a 5-1 game might be exactly the type of match Davies could get some minutes in...

Alphonso said that Bayern told him that he'd be in their first-team plans immediately when they were wooing him. Kovacs and Salihimidzic repeated that a couple of months ago. However, the most telling thing is that, after having seen him train for a week, Kovacs said it again a few days ago.

I read that to mean that Alphonso's been mustard in training and they are looking forward to unleashing him come January. I'd be pleased with 10-15 appearances between January and May, mostly from the bench, but with a few starts thrown in.

Davies is just so talented. I know it's Bayern Munich, but when I look at what the kid can do, I have no doubt he can play at that level. All he needs to do now is adjust to the pace of the game, and with several weeks of training before January, I have no doubt he'll be ready to start coming off the bench early in the new year.

58 minutes ago, Yoginess said:

He sure is talented. But so is every other player at Bayern. Talented and way more experienced.

i hope Davies wins a starting job but will totally understand if the coaches give him limited minutes

Yeah, an extended starting position I think is years away, but don't be surprised to see him earn at least one start before this season ends.