The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

1 hour ago, Blackjack15 said:

Relax people, in 2019 expect our back four situation to be solved and figured out 

That includes the Left Back position 

Adekugbe, Morgan and Levis will all be in contention since we will play against much stronger opposition 

So let’s not freak out okay? Cool. 

Davies is a winger and herdman knows it, against these minnows he decided to okay with play with two at the back in order to score as much as possible since Goal difference matters in Nations League qualifying

It will go back to normal 

Very true, although I think that backfired last night because it sure looked like having Davies in an attacking role last night would have helped our goal differential.  Probably should have started the natural defender in Adekugbe at Left back last night with Davies moving up ahead.  

Can't say I disagree with the logic. We aren't sound defensively so we're condemned to score lots of goal to win while pressuring the opposite defense. Having someone as fast and as skilled as Davies something pushing through forward and supporting the attack is a valuable asset.

It also have the added benefits of putting more offense on the pitch at his normal position. I don't know... Putting our "best defenders" in their natural position in a 4-4-3 doesn't change our questionable defense. Might as well go up. Unless we score both Tomori and Ferreira, that won't change.

Of course, Davies needs to polish his game and decision making, which you won't get better teaching environment than Bayern Munich. Hard to think that Herdman didn't already talk to them to have an idea of what they had plan for him. Might be why Davies still is LB for us.

If Davies had started on the wing last night, one or two of David, Tabla or Millar would not have seen the pitch. One advantage of the last three games has been that Herdman has given plenty of playing time to those three and has had the opportunity to evaluate them first-hand. I would say that David is the only one so far that looks like he might be ready to face a higher level of competition. That’s fairly valuable information to have, going into next year’s Gold Cup.

I don’t think a 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 formation plays to the strength of the team. I noticed Germany has been playing a 3-4-3 formation that would probably be best for the roster to get the best guys on the field. 

Henry-Cornelius-ZBG

Hoilet-Arfield-Hutch-Osorio

Davies-Cav-David

Piette takes Hutch spot when he retires. 

11 hours ago, Norrin Radd said:

If Davies had started on the wing last night, one or two of David, Tabla or Millar would not have seen the pitch. One advantage of the last three games has been that Herdman has given plenty of playing time to those three and has had the opportunity to evaluate them first-hand. I would say that David is the only one so far that looks like he might be ready to face a higher level of competition. That’s fairly valuable information to have, going into next year’s Gold Cup.

Or perhaps we could play some friendlies to evaluate them? 

https://bayernstrikes.com/2018/11/21/alphonso-davies-joins-bayern-munich-team-training/

He traveled to the Bavarian capital yesterday, where he went ahead and completed his medical and attended a Bayern basketball game after doing some sight-seeing.

Today was all about work, though. The Canadian wonderkid participated in his first training along with the rest of his new teammates. According to Bild, Davies is wasting no time acquainting himself with his new colleagues as well.

He hung around Arjen Robben in the dressing room, before warming up alongside Kingsley Coman and striking up a conversation with the Frenchman. On top of this, Davies stuck around after last night’s basketball game to shoot some hoops with Serge Gnabry.

Cozying up to Robben, then palling around with Gnabry. Well played, Phonz. Lull them into a false sense of security before you soon steal their spots in the eleven!

I'm confident that Phonz and Coman will be the first choice wingers for Bayern by the start of next season.

11 hours ago, Chad_Impact said:

Um, 

20181121_090113.jpg

For the record, that pic is cut off and there’s is at least a bit of Canadian flag at the other end. It can be seen for a moment in the video Ansem posted as well as a pic in a tweet in this article. https://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2018/11/21/half-messi-half-ronaldo-alphonso-davies-trains-bayern-munich

Apologies for linking to such a click baity article title.

I was wondering why he had a scarf with a US flag on it but it seems this is the scarf of the North American Bayern fan club and yes there is a Maple Leaf on one end of the scarf that is cut off from the photo. The Bayern logo is also at the end of the scarf and cut off in the pic. Mia san mia is a Bavarian saying but still I find it a weird scarf, there is more USA in the scarf than Bayern.

He is getting a lot of press coverage in Germany. Hopefully he will be able to handle the pressure. 

Video of his first day at Bayern: 

An article with another video of his first day, showing him training with Robben who is pretty much the player I hate the most but if he imparts some knowledge to Davies it may soften my view of him :-)

https://www.bavarianfootballworks.com/2018/11/21/18106679/bayern-munich-video-alphonso-davies-first-day-team-training-arjen-robben-kingsley-coman-niko-kovac

And he is also the main story on the Kicker website with a long article about his life:

http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/736195/artikel_ein-geschenk-fuer-das-spiel_alphonso-davies-im-portraet.html

As much as I dislike Bayern, I do have a grudging respect for them. They rob the smaller poorer German clubs of their best talent but do a good job of developing the players. While they are rich by Bundesliga standards their budget is small by EPL or Barca/Real standards and they manage to compete based on being a well run club that really understands the game, can spot good players and develop them properly. It is probably the best big club that Davies could go to and if any club is able to help him to get to a very high level as well as deal with the pressure it will be them.

7 hours ago, Grizzly said:

As much as I dislike Bayern, I do have a grudging respect for them. They rob the smaller poorer German clubs of their best talent but do a good job of developing the players. While they are rich by Bundesliga standards their budget is small by EPL or Barca/Real standards and they manage to compete based on being a well run club that really understands the game, can spot good players and develop them properly. It is probably the best big club that Davies could go to and if any club is able to help him to get to a very high level as well as deal with the pressure it will be them.

They're the 4th most valuable club in the world. And they're worth approx. $600 million more than Man City, the 5th most valuable club (and the second most valuable EPL club). They're rich by any standard, not just by Bundesliga standards. Unlike other massive clubs, however, they avoid spending huge sums of money on one or two players. The most they've ever spent on a single player is 41.5 million Euros.

Edited by BleepBlap

7 hours ago, BleepBlap said:

They're the 4th most valuable club in the world. And they're worth approx. $600 million more than Man City, the 5th most valuable club (and the second most valuable EPL club). They're rich by any standard, not just by Bundesliga standards. Unlike other massive clubs, however, they avoid spending huge sums of money on one or two players. The most they've ever spent on a single player is 41.5 million Euros.

There is a big difference between club valuation and how rich a club is, ie. what their player budget is and how much cash they have on hand. However, I just looked up player budgets and they are 8th in Europe so that is higher than I thought they were. They must have increased their player budget in recent years. For many years they were getting very good results in Europe on much smaller budgets than the other big clubs. 

https://en.as.com/en/2018/01/17/football/1516210881_006124.html

9 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Pretty fcking proud to see the videos and see him goofing with Müller, other players. Phenomenal stuff. 

And I am, like others here, glad to see Bayern Munich lose in Germany as much as possible. But will probably cut them some slack if Alphonso is playing.

I think he’ll fit in nicely there.. it seems that team fits his personality exactly and that can’t be understated for an 18 year old basically flipping his world upside down.  

1 hour ago, Grizzly said:

There is a big difference between club valuation and how rich a club is, ie. what their player budget is and how much cash they have on hand. However, I just looked up player budgets and they are 8th in Europe so that is higher than I thought they were. They must have increased their player budget in recent years. For many years they were getting very good results in Europe on much smaller budgets than the other big clubs. 

https://en.as.com/en/2018/01/17/football/1516210881_006124.html

There is no difference between a club's valuation and "how rich a club is." Club valuation tables are precisely how one determines which clubs are the richest. Assessing how rich a club is based on how much they spend on players, however, is the definition of conflation, and is not at all an appropriate metric in measuring the wealth of any club. 

Nevertheless, no matter what metric you choose to use, club valuation (the correct metric) or how much they spend on players (not even remotely a proper metric), they are at or near the top in Europe.

4 hours ago, BleepBlap said:

There is no difference between a club's valuation and "how rich a club is." Club valuation tables are precisely how one determines which clubs are the richest. Assessing how rich a club is based on how much they spend on players, however, is the definition of conflation, and is not at all an appropriate metric in measuring the wealth of any club. 

Nevertheless, no matter what metric you choose to use, club valuation (the correct metric) or how much they spend on players (not even remotely a proper metric), they are at or near the top in Europe.

While true in the literal sense, it is unfortunately not how the game works today... Nobody would say Rangers are in the top 10 most valuable clubs in the world, but if they get bought out by a Sheikh Mansour type, theyre one of the richest clubs in the world, the guys family is worth a trillion dollars.... thats why Uefa has attempted to stop this from getting out of hand with FFP.