The Importance of Alphonso Davies

jpg75

I just hope he can stay grounded. Other young Canadian athlete’s (Eugenie Bouchard) have been hyped up massively before and they get caught up in the fame.

I have seen Phonsies’ personality enough to believe he will stay humble, but it is always in the back of my mind.

3 hours ago, canta15 said:

I just hope he can stay grounded. Other young Canadian athlete’s (Eugenie Bouchard) have been hyped up massively before and they get caught up in the fame.

I have seen Phonsies’ personality enough to believe he will stay humble, but it is always in the back of my mind.

He strikes me as more of a Raonic (humble, focused) than a Bouchard.

1 hour ago, dyslexic nam said:

He strikes me as more of a Raonic (humble, focused) than a Bouchard.

Bouchard plays a self sport... So once the hype got to her, and the beauty/sex appeal part, started modeling etc she lost focus. Especially when she won nothing. 

6 hours ago, canta15 said:

I am basing this strictly on my own perceptions, but I think Davies is a good combination of humble and confident. By that I mean he can stay grounded even with fame at a young age, but is confident/'cocky' enough to run at Bundesliga defenders with his first touch on his first appearance at Bayern :D

Frankly, I think wingers/forwards need a little swagger, and Davies definitely has that. Belief you can beat the defenders 1-v-1.

I never was sure if I should mention this but now that we are on the subject....... at the last Canada game in Mtl. (you know the one that the crowd went home in a cab) Davies was standing by the players bench before the game (about 6 feet away from me) and didn't respond to me twice. I am not trying to say anything bad about his character, just saying what happened to me at that certain time. Cheers.                                                                                                 BTW all I wanted was to take a picture with him.

Edited by MtlMario

11 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

I never was sure if I should mention this but now that we are on the subject....... at the last Canada game in Mtl. (you know the one that the crowd went home in a cab) Davies was standing by the players bench before the game (about 6 feet away from me) and didn't respond to me twice. I am not trying to say anything bad about his character, just saying what happened to me at that certain time. Cheers.                                                                                                 BTW all I wanted was to take a picture with him.

He was "focused".

51 minutes ago, MtlMario said:

Before the game might be a tough time to get a picture with the player. Honestly, they should be focused and thinking about the game. If the team gets blown out of the water and smiling pictures with fans taken before the match show up in the media, well it wouldn't look good....

After the game is best time I think.

4 hours ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

I am basing this strictly on my own perceptions, but I think Davies is a good combination of humble and confident. By that I mean he can stay grounded even with fame at a young age, but is confident/'cocky' enough to run at Bundesliga defenders with his first touch on his first appearance at Bayern :D

Frankly, I think wingers/forwards need a little swagger, and Davies definitely has that. Belief you can beat the defenders 1-v-1.

Success in any career or profession requires that special balance of audacity and humility. Davies has got that balance, and at a remarkably young age. His teammates will respect this instantly. Oh, and he is damned fast too.

4 hours ago, MtlMario said:

He was 16 and at his first cap, it probably wouldn’t be a good look to do that before kick off.  I wouldn’t take it to heart. 

On a totally different note... Glad to see a couple of our young stars still go through normal teenage stuff...

https://canoe.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/does-canada-have-a-new-power-soccer-couple

I don’t want to spread rumours. Its great to see the future of Canada soccer on both the men’s and women’s side getting along. Thought it was a fun and funny article.

11 hours ago, Jahinho Guerro said:

Bouchard plays a self sport... So once the hype got to her, and the beauty/sex appeal part, started modeling etc she lost focus. Especially when she won nothing. 

Uhhhhh what? Genie’s struggles are directly linked to the severe concussion she suffered at the US Open in 2015. She has since sued and won a judgement against the USTA in which they were found negligible. It was so severe that she could feel the cleaning chemicals from the floor burning the back of her head after she fell.

8 hours ago, BenFisk'sBiggestFan said:

On a totally different note... Glad to see a couple of our young stars still go through normal teenage stuff...

https://canoe.com/sports/soccer/mls/vancouver-whitecaps/does-canada-have-a-new-power-soccer-couple

I don’t want to spread rumours. Its great to see the future of Canada soccer on both the men’s and women’s side getting along. Thought it was a fun and funny article.

This must be Phase 2 of CSA's "Long Term Player Development Strategy".  

Well played CSA.  Well played.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Up 3-1 at home today but concede 2 in the last 15..better turn it around quickly or kovac might not be there by the time he becomes eligible

And Dortmund won, by the way with Pulisic playing quite well. 

After watching a few Bundesliga matches lately, I think the level is quite high, I'd dare to say the lower ranked teams play better than the poorer teams in EPL, for example: thinking of Mainz, who were very good even losing, it was a high quality match.