Jonathan David

Vince193

13 hours ago, Olympique_de_Marseille said:

He can go back to being a sub at club level, he only scores late anyways! ;)

I know it was a joke but a bit of a real explanation, he plays behind two strikers most of the time. After going up 1-0 on the night both of those strikers were subbed, he became the de facto striker. 

He could have had a couple assists but those strikers had a stretch (when the Cyprus team started to push up) when they went too early multiple times.  His build up play has been really nice at times. 

But as said his finishing is cool as anything.  Easy to say he takes easy chances for club and country but not every striker does so with his regularity.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Gent likes to play with one or two big target forwards, like the guy who scored the first goal.  They're actually quite good at running into space and if they're even halfway decent finishers, David will get a bucket full of assists this season.

Maybe I'm in the minority here but I'm just as impressed with his playmaking as with his finishing.

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Gent likes to play with one or two big target forwards, like the guy who scored the first goal. 

They just brought Depoitre back and I am not overly impressed, though it was a nice finish, last night from the corner.   He seemingly replaced the Japanese player Kubo and is partnering Yaremchuck, (at least in the last couple games.)  They play nice and open and there will be lost of chances but I think their movement ahead of David could improve.   Just opinions of course, based on seeing Depoitre against Premier League defenders.  I could be very wrong, often am.

Looking it up: back before his failed move to Porto and Huddersfield, he helped Gent win the league with 12 goals and 7 assists. 

David is the big difference-maker right now and they are not boring. 

I think Depoitre is quality for the Jupiler League but just couldn't make the next jump to a higher level, much like Larin. 

Off topic but you seem to know Gent well so do you know what happened to the Georgian kid Chakvetadze? He's seems to have fallen off the map but he's roughly the same age as David and at one time was rated much more highly.

Edited by Snowcrash

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

I think Depoitre is quality for the Jupiler League but just couldn't make the next jump to a higher level, much like Larin. 

Off topic but you seem to know Gent well so do you know what happened to the Georgian kid Chakvetadze? He's seems to have fallen off the map but he's roughly the same age as David and at one time was rated much more highly.

I don't know Gent that well, I have only been watching them sporadically since David was there and a lot this year since I really enjoyed watching two strikers and a #10. And David.

Chakvetadze got injured in the spring some time. I don't think played much at all in the playoffs when David was reemerging. Honestly not sure he has played this season. 

Update: not sure how reliable

Giorgi Chakvetadze (MI) Cruciate ligament injury (since 21/04) Late November 2019

http://www.teamfeed.co.uk/injuries-suspensions/football/belgium/pro-league/injuries

45 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I don't know Gent that well, I have only been watching them sporadically since David was there and a lot this year since I really enjoyed watching two strikers and a #10. And David.

Chakvetadze got injured in the spring some time. I don't think played much at all in the playoffs when David was reemerging. Honestly not sure he has played this season. 

Update: not sure how reliable

Giorgi Chakvetadze (MI) Cruciate ligament injury (since 21/04) Late November 2019

http://www.teamfeed.co.uk/injuries-suspensions/football/belgium/pro-league/injuries

Thanks!  It's too bad all of the Gent information is only available in Flemmish and not French but it's not surprising given the language dynamics of Belgium.  I've visited my son when he was working in Lille, near the border, and he quickly learned it's much less hassle to use English in the Flemish areas than French even though they all understand French.

I started watching Gent more this year for the same reasons (David and generally exciting), though I didn't see the Larnaca match. My initial thoughts are, if you push a higher line against Gent you are screwed. David conducts the counter so well from his central position. They are absolutely devastating. However, if you sit back on them, they can struggle to break down a low line.

Keep in mind I've only seen ~3-4 full matches of theirs this year so small sample size applies. That being said, I encourage people to watch Gent. They are a fun side.

I was in Ghent last year and they are potentially one of the big clubs in Belgium.  The stadium on the outskirts of the city is a proper sized venue and the supporters are very passionate. 

A nice next step for him could be an hour down the road at Lille in Ligue 1; but for now, I think staying at Gent for another season would be his best option unless someone drives up to the Ghelamco Arena with a truck load of Euros.   

On 8/16/2019 at 3:47 PM, JamboAl said:

I was in Ghent last year and they are potentially one of the big clubs in Belgium.  The stadium on the outskirts of the city is a proper sized venue and the supporters are very passionate. 

A nice next step for him could be an hour down the road at Lille in Ligue 1; but for now, I think staying at Gent for another season would be his best option unless someone drives up to the Ghelamco Arena with a truck load of Euros.   

Agreed. Best for him to be in an environment where he’s comfortable and a known commodity. This will give him the best opportunity to further his development at a good level. 

13 hours ago, Ottawafan said:

Agreed. Best for him to be in an environment where he’s comfortable and a known commodity. This will give him the best opportunity to further his development at a good level. 

I can see David winning Belgium League player of the year. 

I am glad he has stayed with Gent. He is quickly becoming their best player. Once he experiences being the bonafide star of his club, he can move on.

We need players to develop that way. Most of our best players past and present are/were role players. The last star of Canada to be the star of their club was Dwayne DeRosario. David will be the next one.

Their transfer window has not closed yet, has  it?  Not suggesting anything, just checking.

Here is a short article about David from in the week.  I think it deserves to be skimmed without translation first.  

Jonathan 'ice cold' David krijgt lof van ploegmakkers: "Als hij op doel af gaat, ben je meer dan 70% zeker dat hij scoort"

Tegen Larnaca was het toch lange tijd bibberen voor AA Gent. Pas toen David in de slotfase twee keer kon prikken, was de kwalificatie zeker.

De Canadees kwam in het absolute slot twee keer alleen voor de doelman en werkte beide kansen koelbloedig af. Ice in his veins, zoals ze dat in Noord-Amerika durven zeggen. Ook zijn ploegmaats zijn onder de indruk. "Als hij op doel af kan gaan en ruimte heeft, ben ik toch voor meer dan zeventig procent zeker dat hij zal scoren", aldus Odjidja, die de assist voor de tweede treffer van David afleverde.

"We hebben in het verleden ook al gezien dat hij makkelijk kan scoren. We moeten wel opletten dat we hem niet verbranden, hij trainde nog niet zoveel als ons dit seizoen", ging de kapitein verder. Ook Depoitre was onder de indruk. "Het is inderdaad zeldzaam dat hij zo koelbloedig kan blijven op die leeftijd. Hij heeft echt veel kwaliteiten én is belangrijk voor het team."

Jonathan 'ice cold' David receives praise from teammates: "If he goes towards the goal, you are more than 70% sure that he will score"

VADIS AND DEPOITRE SPRINKLE WITH PRAISE FOR COOL KILLER JONATHAN DAVID

AA Gent was shivering for a long time against Larnaca. Only when David was able to poke twice in the final phase was the qualification certain.

The Canadian came twice alone in front of the goalkeeper in the absolute final and coldly finished both chances. Ice in his veins, as they dare say in North America. His team mates are also impressed. "If he can go to goal and has room, I am more than 70 percent sure he will score," said Odjidja, who delivered the assist for David 's second goal .

"We have also seen in the past that he can score easily. We have to be careful that we do not burn him, he did not train as much as us this season", the captain continued. Depoitre was also impressed. "It is indeed rare that he can stay so cold-blooded at that age. He really has many qualities and is important for the team."

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/www.sportsactu.be/ek2004/nieuws/2019-08-16/vadis-en-depoitre-strooien-met-lof-voor-koele-killer-jonathan-david#ixzz5x26qkaOH

If you take your chances and score the goals you're supposed to score along with a few crackers from both feet, you are easily a regular player in a top 5 league

I stream a lot of Lille matches and they recently sold a 20 year old Portuguese striker to AC Milan for 38M euros and David is a better player in my opinion.

The player, Leao, scored 8 goals in his first season with Lille and has size over David but that's about it.

Edited by Snowcrash

• 2 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, InBorjanWeTrust said:

Scored a brace today against cercle brugge. I'm starting to really believe he's ready for the next step, I can definitely picture him succeeding at a mid tier Bundesliga club. Such a great finisher, got ice running through his veins!!

I'm with you...and I could see him at something bigger than mid tier bundesliga.