Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Very in depth and interesting, (which I probably would say because it generally agrees with what I have seen watching their games)

I would say one thing it ignores a bit is the fact that a lot of David's 6 goals this season did not come when he was playing behind the strikers.  

His two goals in the Europa league came after both Yaremchuk and Depoitre were subbed and replaced with midfielders, making him the most striker-like player on the pitch. 

Of his 4 goals in the league, only one that came when he was actually holding a position behind the strikers was the one against Oostende when he arrived late in the box and rifled one top corner.  In the others games, there was only one other striker on the pitch and he was as advanced or more advanced than them.  

Overall though it echoes some of the reasons I think David needs to be in the centre rather than on the wing.  Whether we can afford to sacrifice a midfielder to make that happen I don't know, if you need a big centre forward.  

(I see adverts for the school the writer teaches at all the time, they have campuses at Wembley and the Ethiad.  Oh to be young again and not have to worry about getting a job that would likely provide a living.) 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

Very detailed analysis and agree with many of the writer's points but I think David's vision is understated.  I don't think the stats count hockey assists but David's had a number of them  and he'd have more direct assists if the Gent attackers had better finishing ability.

Also, they article mentions that he's 5'10" but if you look at his physique, he's actually quite muscular and has a very strong base.  He's nowhere near his physical peak so while he's not going to dominate aerial battles, he won't be knocked off the ball easily and will win his share of 50-50 balls.

6 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Duane Rollins tweeted Transfer Markt updated his value from 10.26M to 17.1M. Davies is only at 11.4M.

Not sure if it changes this much but I hope he stays at Gent for at least this season, maybe more.  Regular minutes, decent level, legitimate chance to stay in Europe after Christmas.

Some personal ones too.  I have come to like that team including the way they play and might pop over for a game in the spring if we have not used up our holidays.  

34 minutes ago, king1010 said:

Duane Rollins tweeted Transfer Markt updated his value from 10.26M to 17.1M. Davies is only at 11.4M.

Transfer Markt typically understates the value of younger players.  For example, Lille had a young Portuguese forward  Rafael Leão valued by TM at $17M who was sold to AC Milan this summer for $28.5M.

Even before this latest valuation, having streamed Lille matches, I thought David was by far the better player.  The only thing Leão had over David was height and maybe holdup play.  Every other aspect of David's game was better, in my opinion.

Edited by Snowcrash

51 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Transfer Markt typically understates the value of younger players.  For example, Lille had a young Portuguese forward  Rafael Leão valued by TM at $17M who was sold to AC Milan this summer for $28.5M.

Even before this latest valuation, having streamed Lille matches, I thought David was by far the better player.  The only thing Leão had over David was height and maybe holdup play.  Every other aspect of David's game was better, in my opinion.

Speaking of Lille, I notice they have bought Renato Sanches for £25M. It didn't work out with him, but I think they'll (Bayern) do a better job developing Davies.

As for David, Lille is the type of club that I would like to see him move. A place he can earn playing time, but also get European games. Timothy Weah has done that, joining from PSG over the summer. France would perhaps be the right level. Portugal or Holland are perhaps not much of a step up?

Ligue 1 is a distant fifth of the big 5 leagues but it's still much stronger top to bottom than Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, etc. 

Lille also has an outstanding record for both recognizing young talent and then developing them for massive transfers. They spent some of the money they got from Pepe and Leao and among their purchases this summer was a 20 year old forward from the Jupiler League, Victor Osimhen, for about $14M.  It looks like they struck gold again and will probably be able to sell him for 2 or 3 times that in a year or two.

43 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Ligue 1 is a distant fifth of the big 5 leagues but it's still much stronger top to bottom than Belgium, Netherlands, Portugal, etc. 

Lille also has an outstanding record for both recognizing young talent and then developing them for massive transfers. They spent some of the money they got from Pepe and Leao and among their purchases this summer was a 20 year old forward from the Jupiler League, Victor Osimhen, for about $14M.  It looks like they struck gold again and will probably be able to sell him for 2 or 3 times that in a year or two.

Fuck, can I get a job flipping young footballers?

I think David's next move should be to a top-4 league, but maybe just not a top team in those leagues.

Like, a mid-table Bundesliga or La Liga team would be great. I think he definitely has the quality. I mean, if he is dominating Belgium how much different would the Portugese League or the Eredivisie be? Perhaps a move to a top French team, as has been mentioned, but really I think he could and probably will jump past that.

12 hours ago, Snowcrash said:

Very detailed analysis and agree with many of the writer's points but I think David's vision is understated.  I don't think the stats count hockey assists but David's had a number of them  and he'd have more direct assists if the Gent attackers had better finishing ability.

Also, they article mentions that he's 5'10" but if you look at his physique, he's actually quite muscular and has a very strong base.  He's nowhere near his physical peak so while he's not going to dominate aerial battles, he won't be knocked off the ball easily and will win his share of 50-50 balls.

Quite impressed with how strong he is on his feet, as it were, and he's still just a kid.  If he doesn't put on another pound over the next few years he's still going to get a lot stronger yet.

50 minutes ago, Strait Red said:

So England or Italy since DAZN stopped showing Bein Sports and their coverage on France and Spain.

Not England please,

Unless he would be headlining in the Championship and he is probably too expensive and too good for that now.

I can't see my team paying over £25 million for another attacking midfielder or a smaller striker and it would break my heart to cheer against him. 

On 9/14/2019 at 12:27 AM, Bertuzzi44 said:

I think David's next move should be to a top-4 league, but maybe just not a top team in those leagues.

Like, a mid-table Bundesliga or La Liga team would be great. I think he definitely has the quality. I mean, if he is dominating Belgium how much different would the Portugese League or the Eredivisie be? Perhaps a move to a top French team, as has been mentioned, but really I think he could and probably will jump past that.

I think he could win a starting spot on a big club in one of the top four leagues right away.

I was watching the Chelsea match and even though Mason Mount is a great young player who I think will become like a Mesuit Ozil-type stylistically in the long term, he would be relegated to the bench if he competed with Jonathan David for that number 10 position on a week to week basis. 

That's how much I value JD.

He is going to a big club right away I reckon. 

Edited by Macksam

4 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

David’s production is so much better than Davies ever achieved in MLS

Davies assisted or scored 17 his last year in Vancouver;  David had 19 combined in all competitions last year.  

He will very clearly outpace that this year if he continues along the same lines but he did start very well last year, as well.  He also plays with a coach that loves a wide open game. 

But mostly it was just an opinion going by what I saw on the pitch.  I thought, Davies was ironically a man among boys; David has great vision and incredible finishing, not sure he is completely out grown his league yet. 

Not that don't I love watching him, his games and his team.

32 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Davies assisted or scored 17 his last year in Vancouver;  David had 19 combined in all competitions last year.  

He will very clearly outpace that this year if he continues along the same lines but he did start very well last year, as well.  He also plays with a coach that loves a wide open game. 

But mostly it was just an opinion going by what I saw on the pitch.  I thought, Davies was ironically a man among boys; David has great vision and incredible finishing, not sure he is completely out grown his league yet. 

Not that don't I love watching him, his games and his team.

26 points in 81 matches for Davies with Vancouver. 29 points in 54 matches for David with Gent. It’s actually closer than I thought. They’re both best with Canada though! 15 goals and 13 assists combined over the last 14 or so games!

Edited by Aird25

6 hours ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

We will see. 

I don't think he is dominating the Juliper League the way Davies did MLS, yet. Take that for what it is worth.  I would rather him get minutes than a big name at this point in his career.  

I love Davies but he was dominating MLS mainly athleticism and world class pace. David is one of the top players in Jupiler League on technique and soccer IQ. His athleticism, though not on par with Davies, is very good and he's not anywhere close to his physical peak.