Vince193

Jonathan David

30 minutes ago, Norrin Radd said:

There is something very satisfying about the fact that he will likely develop into one of the best if not the best player ever born in the United States!

Did not know he was born in US

Honestly can't remember a Canadian player that cool around the goal when the pressure is on. OK, sure, Radz at his best, but totaly different player!  Radz didn't have the time to think about it.  

25 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Honestly can't remember a Canadian player that cool around the goal when the pressure is on. OK, sure, Radz at his best, but totaly different player!  Radz didn't have the time to think about it.  

David already has over twice the competitive goals that Radz did for Canada.  Crazy.

1 hour ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t mean to be that guy but David has scored all his goals against minnows or close to minnows. While he’s going to be a great player for us I don’t think we can tell much from his scoring braces vs Martinique, USVI, and Cuba.

Err... he's scored goals against the likes of Andelecht, and Standard Liege...

17 minutes ago, LeoH037 said:

Err... he's scored goals against the likes of Andelecht, and Standard Liege...

I meant international scoring people are going crazy over the fact he has 9 goals in 7 games when they’ve all come against pretty much minnows.

45 minutes ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I meant international scoring people are going crazy over the fact he has 9 goals in 7 games when they’ve all come against pretty much minnows.

Canada also played minnows often when guys like DERO were on the field... and he still wasn't scoring at the rate David is. The last time Canada's senior team played Cuba, it was in Toronto in cold temperature against a Cuba team that had mostly defected... and still they only managed to get 3 goals. Give credit where credit is due. David is the real deal (or are you forgetting his killer instinct for the world to see in that steal and assist against Mexico?). He is only 19 and no where near close to his prime.

3 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

If you look at a highlight package of his goals for Gent this season, they're way more impressive than his Canada goals.  His poise and ability to find space is outstanding for a 19 year old.

There's no need for David to move as long as he wants to stay at Gent and is getting starts.  Too many a professional has moved to a "bigger" club and yeah, the paycheque is great but all they get is time in the reserves.  He's still only had one season of top flight football in him.

9 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

I don’t mean to be that guy but David has scored all his goals against minnows or close to minnows. While he’s going to be a great player for us I don’t think we can tell much from his scoring braces vs Martinique, USVI, and Cuba.

He came into the national team fold at the right time, with the Nation’s league and now expanded Gold Cup, so many more competitive matches for him to play. 

9 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Every one of the guys on our goalscoring charts have goals against minnows.  Throw in the fact - as KJ pointed out - that we have never been this lethal against the small fry, and I think David's scoring rate is still impressive. 

12 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

We have had plenty of players in the past that struggled to do what he is doing against minnows. One thing in particular that I like about him is that he doesn't seem to turn off. He is always giving it his all. He played the same in the first 10 minutes as he did in the last 10 whereas we had a few players that were starting to hold onto the ball a bit too long near they end

To me there are two aspects of his game that separate him from almost every Canadian soccer player I’ve seen. 

1. His touch. He knows how to touch the ball. He’s great at moving the ball on his foot to a shielded position, thus making it even harder for a defender to get the ball. And he can do it with pace. 

2.  The ability to get into the right spot. He’s extremely opportunistic and can pounce on a defender and turn it into a a scoring opp. He reads the play so well which allows him to always be in the right spot to receive a pass or to attempt at the net. He’s so good at coming in late on a play when needed and making his contribution. 

The sky is his ceiling and he may become one of the top attackers in the game. 

1 hour ago, Ottawafan said:

To me there are two aspects of his game that separate him from almost every Canadian soccer player I’ve seen. 

1. His touch. He knows how to touch the ball. He’s great at moving the ball on his foot to a shielded position, thus making it even harder for a defender to get the ball. And he can do it with pace. 

2.  The ability to get into the right spot. He’s extremely opportunistic and can pounce on a defender and turn it into a a scoring opp. He reads the play so well which allows him to always be in the right spot to receive a pass or to attempt at the net. He’s so good at coming in late on a play when needed and making his contribution. 

The sky is his ceiling and he may become one of the top attackers in the game. 

Glad to see you back. If I recall correctly you  predicted a long time ago when David was still relatively unknown to most, that he had a higher ceiling than Davies

3 hours ago, deschamp86 said:

We have had plenty of players in the past that struggled to do what he is doing against minnows. One thing in particular that I like about him is that he doesn't seem to turn off. He is always giving it his all. He played the same in the first 10 minutes as he did in the last 10 whereas we had a few players that were starting to hold onto the ball a bit too long near they end

Not to take anything away from David - he has been fantastic. But we need to acknowledge that he is being served up balls from a much better group of players as well. 

Posted (edited)
16 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

USVI and Cuba? Sure, they are minnows. That may be a little harsh on Cuba, but realistically their record in the group stage speaks for itself. I'm okay with calling them minnows.

But Martinique? No. These guys are not minnows. Do some of you call them a minnow because they aren't a FIFA member or something? It really seems that way...

Look at their results. To put them in the same category of USVI or even Cuba is unfair and inaccurate. When has Cuba or USVI scored twice against Mexico? 

So yeah, David scored a brace against them. They are not world beaters, but let's not downplay it either. No need.

If David fails to find the net in the knockouts, or against the US in nations league, then we can talk about him only scoring on weak teams.

But for now, all the kid can do is score against the teams in front of him.

Besides, Mexico was the only big team he's faced so far and he was a second-half substitute.

What more do you want?

Edited by Obinna

14 hours ago, SkuseisLoose said:

Martinique are not a minnow.

From a global perspective maybe, but not from a CONCACAF perspective.

3 hours ago, Kadenge said:

Glad to see you back. If I recall correctly you  predicted a long time ago when David was still relatively unknown to most, that he had a higher ceiling than Davies

Just a year and a half ago he was beating up on some of the top clubs in Ontario. Not surprised about his abilities but to see him do it at the highest levels of football is impressive for his age. Got my eye on another local player who I think could be a vey high level player but needs to take care of his opportunity this upcoming season. 

Posted (edited)

Here are David's goals from this past season.  These links don't stay up for long either because Gent and/or Jupiler League are pretty strict with copyright.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zmfo_DOq9Ko

Here's a goal from Europa League qualification.  What a run and what composure on the rebound.

https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x6rr48a

Edited by Snowcrash