Jonathan David

Vince193

13 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Keep in mind David has the biggest say in all this.  If he has to move on to cash in he'll be moving on.  Simple as that.  

Doesn't need to rush things either though, and doesn't read like he is, but being complacent and just letting it all play out shouldn't be an option either.  Of course that's why you have agents picking your pocket.  What a business.

Doesn't even have to be to cash in. I don't know a single competitor at this level that wouldn't want to test themselves against the best opposition they could. 

1 hour ago, Dominic94 said:

Awhile back someone had said they had reached out to David’s agent to scout Canada for more talent...

I mean it's basically as uncharted as you can get for a European squad to be scouting and profiting. Imagine all of the talent that is out there in Canada that is just waiting for an opportunity. Lots of wasted talent out there I'd assume 

52 minutes ago, Jith12 said:

That's correct. I believe that Club Brugge were supposedly doing the same as well.

Former Nat and Brugge man Mike Klukowski is an agent. Shouldn't be too hard ( or too much to ask) to get a few Canadians in his portfolio: https://www.transfermarkt.com/mk-football-management/beraterfirma/berater/4380

Personally, I'd start by trying to land the likes of Borges.

On 7/20/2019 at 2:04 AM, nolando said:

Former Nat and Brugge man Mike Klukowski is an agent. Shouldn't be too hard ( or too much to ask) to get a few Canadians in his portfolio: https://www.transfermarkt.com/mk-football-management/beraterfirma/berater/4380

Personally, I'd start by trying to land the likes of Borges.

I loved watching Klukowski play. Probably our greatest left back of all time. Hopefully he gets surpassed soon by others.

On 7/19/2019 at 4:13 PM, JuicyHam said:

I mean it's basically as uncharted as you can get for a European squad to be scouting and profiting. Imagine all of the talent that is out there in Canada that is just waiting for an opportunity. Lots of wasted talent out there I'd assume 

Hopefully not as much anymore with the CPL here.

On 7/18/2019 at 1:16 PM, Yoginess said:

Prem teams are "terrible at developing" talent because it's the most competitive league from top to bottom and hard to break into. If David is good enough to push for starts than he will develop just fine.

That being said, I have no idea if David could actually hang in that league right now. 

Totally disagree. They are poor at developing talent because they don't need to. They have so much money they can just buy the next flavour of the month kid. It has nothing to do with how competitive the league is. It has to do with resources.

1 hour ago, masster said:

Totally disagree. They are poor at developing talent because they don't need to. They have so much money they can just buy the next flavour of the month kid. It has nothing to do with how competitive the league is. It has to do with resources.

For me personally, if we are talking in the bottom half of the league, I would say it is the near financial disaster of crashing out of the league, if you have not planned for it. You look at Hoilett's team Cardiff, they essentially made deals last summer with one eye on going back down. So they should be fine.  Others like QPR or Leeds earlier take years to recover, some have not.  So most managers are scared to give a kid a chance.

The academy at West Ham just developed an England player last season in Declan Rice.  But that took a whole lot of guts from a new manager to not buy a defensive midfielder and instead play him there, especially since the few games he had started before that were at centre back.  But despite a very poor start, relegation was not a huge fear for most of the season.  If it was you, probably would have seen a veteran brought in, because even £20 - 30 million you spend on that is nothing compared to the cost of going down. 

There are a few kids that emerge across the league every year, but it is really hard to gamble/take that leap of faith, for a lot of teams.  Also remember that English players are worth a lot more, so if you are going to develop in house, it is probably not as cost effective to do so with a foreigner. Or you can get them really young and make them homegrown. 

Developing players within an academy structure is done first and foremost as a principle you believe in. Some clubs believe in it and do it, others do not. Some clubs even hire youth and senior coaches with a mind that they will believe in the principle and apply it. Right now in England there are some good cases of this, after having gone beserk with teams on the field with no English national to be seen. 

So it has to be done as a value. Some owners, fans and managers like the idea, and are proud of it, and are appreciative of it. Others could care less. Others are somewhere in between.

If you look at the younger generation of English players, say u-15 to u-21, you are probably dealing with the best and best developed crop since the 1960s, in international terms, or maybe 70s. Their results are good, their play. And the support they are getting from their clubs. It used to be that you would not expect English teams to do well in Youth League, for example, but lately they are, rivalling clubs with a longer and more consistent tradition of player development, like Barça and Madrid. 

Arguing the economics of this is all very well, but since clubs have money to burn, the incentive is not what it used to be. I also personally believe that since people at clubs are taking cuts of transfer fees, and there is a lot of under the table corruption happening, the incentive to pay high amounts rather than develop kids in your academy is higher, sorry to say. So this argument that Barça did not pay a cent for half its starters, all very nice, makes me proud--but meaningless if you have no problem paying for better starters to get better results. If it is just a question of money saving, I say it is not worth it, as that cannot be the value that developing youth best exemplifies. 

22 minutes ago, El Diego said:

Which one? He has two! 😄 Not to mention helping set up the PK.

Maybe he's good enough to play right back? 🤔🤔🤔 That way we could put our two most talented players in the two least important positions...

Two least important positions eh. Care to explain

1 hour ago, Yoginess said:

Least important, not unimportant. What other position would you claim is less important?

I’m not sure but if you’re making claims like that you better back it up.

Is your logic thats its difficult to look at a defender’s value through stats so you write them off and fullbacks aren’t in the middle of the pitch thus descreasing their value to the team?

"Least important but not unimportant" is a good way of putting it. Full backs are increasingly closing the gap on other positions but they're still last.

Anyway, I shouldn't have made the snide comment in David's thread. We should be focusing on his performance in this match which was fantastic. He's absolutely unstoppable on the counter.

• 2 weeks later...