Jonathan David

Vince193

Asked to be subbed tonight but seems to be okay.

The quote is from the club doctor.

Translated. 

"Also Jonathan David was struggling and asked for a substitution. "That was just a cramp in the hamstrings", something the player himself also confirmed. A big relief for Ghent with a view to the clash with Saint-Étienne."

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2019-09-15/kaminski-en-david-halen-de-wedstrijd-tegen-saint-tienne#ixzz5zccXmpNI 

59 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Asked to be subbed tonight but seems to be okay.

The quote is from the club doctor.

Translated. 

"Also Jonathan David was struggling and asked for a substitution. "That was just a cramp in the hamstrings", something the player himself also confirmed. A big relief for Ghent with a view to the clash with Saint-Étienne."

https://www.voetbalkrant.com/nieuws/2019-09-15/kaminski-en-david-halen-de-wedstrijd-tegen-saint-tienne#ixzz5zccXmpNI 

Breathe everyone... just breathe...

3 hours ago, Macksam said:

The Saint-Etienne clash will be a great gauge of where he's at imo. 

David has 7 goals and 4 assists in 12 games  between Jupiler League and Europa.  He's getting lots of Belgium press coverage outside of Gent and he's easily a top 10 player, maybe top 5 in Belgium right now.  Gent will do everything they can to maximimze his transfer value and if he manages to get 25 goals this season, he'll go for 30M+ euros.

If Gent is smart, they'll take less in transfer money up front from one of the top clubs but a higher sell-on percentage and send him to a club like Lille or OM and still end up making more.

Edited by Snowcrash

15 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

David has 7 goals and 4 assists in 12 games  between Jupiler League and Europa.  He's getting lots of Belgium press coverage outside of Gent and he's easily a top 10 player, maybe top 5 in Belgium right now.  Gent will do everything they can to maximimze his transfer value and if he manages to get 25 goals this season, he'll go for 30M+ euros.

If Gent is smart, they'll take less in transfer money up front from one of the top clubs but a higher sell-on percentage and send him to a club like Lille or OM and still end up making more.

If he produces those numbers and Gent wins a few trophies, he could fetch double that possibly. 

55 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

That's pretty ambitious. No Belgian league player has gone for over 30M. Only 8 have ever gone for more than 20M.

44 minutes ago, Snowcrash said:

Club Bruge sold a 22 year old Brazilian CF, Wesley, to Aston Villa this past summer for $28.5M and his numbers in 48 games over all competitions for 2018/2019 were 17 goals and 10 assists, 2 of the goals coming in CL.

Interesting.

If David puts up those numbers, as a 19/20 yr old, he may fetch a similar fee, but we should consider who would be the buyer at that price.

I don't want him to go to England, but I have trouble seeing French, Portugese or German clubs paying that much. 

1 hour ago, Snowcrash said:

Club Bruge sold a 22 year old Brazilian CF, Wesley, to Aston Villa this past summer for $28.5M and his numbers in 48 games over all competitions for 2018/2019 were 17 goals and 10 assists, 2 of the goals coming in CL.

Villa have thrown over £100 mill at some pretty mediocre players.  I watch them last night against our normally pretty leaky defence (with a little help from the reffying superstar that is Mike Dean.)  One of their players was Marvelous, literally (Marvelous Nakamba) but other than that despite some decent support they just huffed and puffed a lot.  It may keep them up, if they come together instead of coming close to head butting each other again. 

The point being, not sure others would have paid that for Wesley.  And as you point out, he also had six Champions League games against good teams, with the exception of a surprisingly rubbish Monaco side, to show the world what he could do.   

On the topic, I don't care how much David goes for. I care that if he goes he goes somewhere where there is a balance of  playing and being challenged more than anything.  I don't think the Belgian League is too easy for him at this point.  I don't want him having 3 clubs in 5 years or something like either.   

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford