Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Jonathan David will get offers from other clubs because the World Cup is like a launching pad in a sense that if you have a great tournament or score a lot of goals, more clubs will be interested in you as a player via transfer window

This guy has done an excellent job in convincing others he’s not a troll. 

If he's a troll I think he's like that Japanese guy they found in the jungle like 20 years after the war ended still fighting. 3 or so years in his area manager forget about him down in the cellar like Office Space and he's still trying shit disturb the Voyageurs forum. Everyone else has moved on to Ukrainian and Taiwanese chat rooms

Maybe he's got Stockholm Syndrome and we've inadvertently converted him to one of us

Edited by SpursFlu

49 minutes ago, frmr said:

Question for the audience: is Jonathan David world class yet?

What's your definition of "world class"?

For me, I would take "world class" to mean, he could reasonably be expected to compete for starts on essentially any club or national team.

He plays for a CL quality side, and is consistently one of the top goal scorers in League 1. I suppose that would suggest he's probably world class by most definitions.

1 hour ago, frmr said:

I think he's on the cusp right now, putting up 9 goals in 11 games for Lille. Before that, a respectable 15 Ligue 1 goals and 19 in all competitions. Then, he has a strike rate of 22 goals in 34 international games for his country. And he's still just 22 years old? There aren't too many who can boast those numbers.

The only thing missing is playing for a big club. I know Lille are a pretty big club, but rightly or wrongly I don't think you will be considered world class without playing for a Top 6 EPL team, Barca or Real Madrid, one of the big Italian clubs, PSG, Bayern, and maybe Dortmond. And it's not just about playing for them, he'll have to put up similar numbers in one of those environments. IF he does that he'll lock in his "world class" status. He'll be held in the same esteem as the likes of Vlahovic, Darwin Nunez, and even Erling Haaland. I know Haaland is basically super human, not saying merely doing this would automatically put him at his level, but he'd at least be part of that group of young world class strikers. To me it feels like he's going to make that jump very soon, just hasn't happened yet. 

4 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I think he's on the cusp right now, putting up 9 goals in 11 games for Lille. Before that, a respectable 15 Ligue 1 goals and 19 in all competitions. Then, he has a strike rate of 22 goals in 34 international games for his country. And he's still just 22 years old? There aren't too many who can boast those numbers.

The only thing missing is playing for a big club. I know Lille are a pretty big club, but rightly or wrongly I don't think you will be considered world class without playing for a Top 6 EPL team, Barca or Real Madrid, one of the big Italian clubs, PSG, Bayern, and maybe Dortmond. And it's not just about playing for them, he'll have to put up similar numbers in one of those environments. IF he does that he'll lock in his "world class" status. He'll be held in the same esteem as the likes of Vlahovic, Darwin Nunez, and even Erling Haaland. I know Haaland is basically super human, not saying merely doing this would automatically put him at his level, but he'd at least be part of that group of young world class strikers. To me it feels like he's going to make that jump very soon, just hasn't happened yet. 

I would agree that he's on the cusp and that he still needs to do it in a tougher league and continue producing in Champions League, but he's one more sizable step away from being considered considered genuinely world-class. Which is weird because he's still relatively unknown in the football world. Possibly having two world-class players from Canada at the same time: what ever Voyageur that gave his and his firstborn's souls to Satan, your efforts are appreciated.

3 minutes ago, frmr said:

I would agree that he's on the cusp and that he still needs to do it in a tougher league and continue producing in Champions League, but he's one more sizable step away from being considered considered genuinely world-class. Which is weird because he's still relatively unknown in the football world. Possibly having two world-class players from Canada at the same time: what ever Voyageur that gave his and his firstborn's souls to Satan, your efforts are appreciated.

For sure. The reason why I specifically brought up Nunez and Vlahovic is because right now I think David is where they were a year ago, before their big moves. Nunez scored 26 in 28 for Benfica, Vlahovic scored 17 in 21 for Fiorentina. David has 9 in 11 right now for Lille, a similar stautre club to Benfica and Fiorentina. All 3 are roughly the same age, but David is easily the lowest profile and I think it's because he hasn't made his big move yet, but he will (probably after the world cup).

15 minutes ago, Obinna said:

For sure. The reason why I specifically brought up Nunez and Vlahovic is because right now I think David is where they were a year ago, before their big moves. Nunez scored 26 in 28 for Benfica, Vlahovic scored 17 in 21 for Fiorentina. David has 9 in 11 right now for Lille, a similar stautre club to Benfica and Fiorentina. All 3 are roughly the same age, but David is easily the lowest profile and I think it's because he hasn't made his big move yet, but he will (probably after the world cup).

That's a fair assessment.

46 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Well I permanently block a few of those I see sneering here, maybe because I'm not into professional dunces.

The referred to poster just does an extremely good job summarizing core concepts, that's not trolling at all.

I agree. I appreciate @TGAA_Star's posts and I rarely, if ever, disagree with what he's saying. But if he was a troll... it'd be a legendary troll.

...but he's not.

10 hours ago, frmr said:

If I am a manager at a top club and I am looking for a world class striker, after watching yesterday's game I would say no.

David scored on a penalty (which he is expected to do), and he scored on a tap-in which any one of us would have been able to do. But he did miss not one, but two,  breakaway chances. A world class striker would have scored on at least one of those chances.

Also David is a hot and cold striker. He is known to go for long spells without scoring. I would wait for a full bountiful season before deciding to call him world class.

15 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

Jonathan David will get offers from other clubs because the World Cup is like a launching pad in a sense that if you have a great tournament or score a lot of goals, more clubs will be interested in you as a player via transfer window

This actually might actually have a negative impact on a career as many transfers in the past that were based off of a tournament did not end well (James, Golovin,…)

5 minutes ago, The Pessimist said:

If I am a manager at a top club and I am looking for a world class striker, after watching yesterday's game I would say no.

David scored on a penalty (which he is expected to do), and he scored on a tap-in which any one of us would have been able to do. But he did miss not one, but two,  breakaway chances. A world class striker would have scored on at least one of those chances.

Also David is a hot and cold striker. He is known to go for long spells without scoring. I would wait for a full bountiful season before deciding to call him world class.

I think he has it (world-class) in his sights but I agree.  He can still develop. One of my favourite players and that is why I think the right move is again critical. He needs to keep playing regularly, not being a rotation option in one of the very top sides. 

40 minutes ago, The Pessimist said:

I agree he should have scored one of those breakaway chances but I don’t agree that any one of us could have scored the tap in. You get tap in opportunities by working hard and being in the right position. Lots of David’s goals are scored from tap ins after making intelligent runs.

2 hours ago, ADP10 said:

This actually might actually have a negative impact on a career as many transfers in the past that were based off of a tournament did not end well (James, Golovin,…)

I think it would really be difficult for David and Canada to have a tournament that was below expectations, as expectations from most observers will be that we'll struggle to win a single game.

1 hour ago, Craig11rm said:

I agree he should have scored one of those breakaway chances but I don’t agree that any one of us could have scored the tap in. You get tap in opportunities by working hard and being in the right position. Lots of David’s goals are scored from tap ins after making intelligent runs.

The second chance was a great run, great first touch and good strike by David. The save was exquisite though.

the first chance I’m not really sure if he flubbed it or the keeper made an amazing save.