Jonathan David

Vince193

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Where would he even be in the depth chart? He’d compete for minutes so far with Benzema, Rodrygo, I think Valverde too- my concern is the time between now and when Benzema might move on or be ready to take a smaller role to let JD take the reins is basically the time between when Jovic was bought and left the team. 

i guess this is an existential question as a fan of the CANMNT. If we want our players to grow, they eventually need to end up at elite clubs and those clubs have elite players competing for playing time. I may be charging JD a Canadian tax myself, and should just believe that he’s good enough to eventually be an important player for Madrid, because that’s the only reason they’d be interested in him in the first place. 

I am more partial to a big la Liga move than an EPL move purely because of the fan base. (Mostly new North American) EPL supporters at big clubs are the worst. Americans who started following Liverpool like 8 months ago already want to blast Nunez straight into the sun. We don’t need JD moving to a team that forces us to come in contact with such riffraf.

At Real Madrid he'd be second in the depth chart behind Benzema, immediately. He'd be playing most matches, and they'd give him starts to rest Benzema here and there.

Rodrygo is still being used to come on the 2nd half to shake things up, which he does very well, but he's a right side player. They in fact don't have anyone right now at centre striker. Mariano is 29 already and they talk about offloading him. Just a month ago they were saying maybe Hazard could play a false 9, then they said they could sign Isak who went to Newcastle for a rather high price, they said they were looking at Cavani, which is no long term solution and went to Valencia. They liked the striker at Nice, Gouiri, who is the same age as JD (sold to Rennes for the same as David cost 2 years ago), and has 4 goals. And on and on.

Basically, they have no coverage. I hear they talk about some quality in their B team, Castilla, but they haven't gotten any minutes.

Just took more looks at the summer rumour mill for Benzema successors, adding to the above:

Nkunku at Leipzig

Brobby at Ajax

Moukoko at Borussia Dortmund

Raúl de Tomás at Espanyol but he was injured all preseason, eventually sold cheap to Rayo Vallecano

It's endless.

Then they have the money, having missed out on Mbappe and then also Haaland because they really thought they'd get the former and did not push for both. I think the fact that so many names appear, almost all below JD's level, is a sign they are not feeding the rumour mill to not get into a bidding war.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

17 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

At Real Madrid he'd be second in the depth chart behind Benzema, immediately. He'd be playing most matches, and they'd give him starts to rest Benzema here and there.

Rodrygo is still being used to come on the 2nd half to shake things up, which he does very well, but he's a right side player. They in fact don't have anyone right now at centre striker. Mariano is 29 already and they talk about offloading him. Just a month ago they were saying maybe Hazard could play a false 9, then they said they could sign Isak who went to Newcastle for a rather high price, they said they were looking at Cavani, which is no long term solution and went to Valencia. They liked the striker at Nice, Gouiri, who is the same age as JD (sold to Rennes for the same as David cost 2 years ago), and has 4 goals. And on and on.

Basically, they have no coverage. I hear they talk about some quality in their B team, Castilla, but they haven't gotten any minutes.

Just took more looks at the summer rumour mill for Benzema successors, adding to the above:

Nkunku at Leipzig

Brobby at Ajax

Moukoko at Borussia Dortmund

Raúl de Tomás at Espanyol but he was injured all preseason, eventually sold cheap to Rayo Vallecano

It's endless.

Then they have the money, having missed out on Mbappe and then also Haaland because they really thought they'd get the former and did not push for both. I think the fact that so many names appear, almost all below JD's level, is a sign they are not feeding the rumour mill to not get into a bidding war.

That makes sense. I'm wondering if they would try and put JD on the wing to play with Benzema which is why I mentioned Rodrygo too.

I will say though, what an incredible career move if David ends up at Madrid because Haaland is at City and Mbappe looks like he's going to end up at Liverpool. The two best in the world can beat on each other for the next decade playing for the most moneyed teams in the world while Jonathan David, the "budget pick" ends up as the future of arguably the world's most famous soccer team. If David ends up with more European trophies than Mbappe once they retire, they legally have to change the name to soccer across Europe. It's actually in the rule book.

7 hours ago, InglewoodJack said:

That makes sense. I'm wondering if they would try and put JD on the wing to play with Benzema which is why I mentioned Rodrygo too.

I will say though, what an incredible career move if David ends up at Madrid because Haaland is at City and Mbappe looks like he's going to end up at Liverpool. The two best in the world can beat on each other for the next decade playing for the most moneyed teams in the world while Jonathan David, the "budget pick" ends up as the future of arguably the world's most famous soccer team. If David ends up with more European trophies than Mbappe once they retire, they legally have to change the name to soccer across Europe. It's actually in the rule book.

I'd love to be wrong, but there's no way that Liverpool will be competing for Mbappe at the wages he's on. And, he seems to have turned into a massive knobhead over the last 12-15 months, so Klopp may well have gone off him, even if they were willing to match his ridiculous salary. I'd still love JD to be the long-term replacement for Bobby Firmino at Liverpool. He could join Darwin Nunez, Luis Diaz, Diogo Jota, Harvey Elliot, and Fab Carvalho as the young, attacking core for the next 6-7 years.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Benzema isn't playing today. Not midweek in CL either. They say he has muscle fatigue.

They have no natural 9 as cover.

dum dum dum.....

Your comment has intrigue and suspense between the lines and words, it'd be a big mystery or riddle if it wasn't posted on David's thread.

38 minutes ago, costarg said:

dum dum dum.....

Your comment has intrigue and suspense between the lines and words, it'd be a big mystery or riddle if it wasn't posted on David's thread.

Not only that, but most are saying Lille wants 60 million euros, and that Real Madrid won't pay that when they have Benzema.

And less so in the winter window.

But they spent 63 million in 2019 on Jovic when they had more striker options on the roster than now.

6 minutes ago, Joe MacCarthy said:

I was in part referring to the certain laxity or glibness of this video, and I usually really enjoy Josh's work. But when he gets speculating he is far less judicious than when he talks about other things. 

Point being: can't just discount a team like Real Madrid for the wrong reasons. Or make statements that the only teams who can afford a winter transfer at 60 million are in EPL. 

The most important point here, regardless of who might be interested, is this: what does David leverage to get the transfer?

Most would respond "goals". Fine. So far, goals in Ligue 1 are possible, so that should not be a problem as long as he does not get into any overly long dry spells or Lille starts really playing badly. So merely on the basis of his Ligue 1 play, he has chances to get a decent transfer. 

But leveraging the World Cup? Do we know what we are talking about here? 

If you pay attention to how this works, a major transfer to a big league and a big club means more than showing up in Qatar. For a David it probably means you have to score at least a goal that wins a match: say a winner vs. Belgium. If you score to make it 3-1 in a Belgium win late, that may not count. If you score 2 against Morocco the last day, however nice, and we are eliminated with a win and two losses, may not count. If you are part of collective play and others score, may not count. 

If the entire team plays well and we get 4 points and somehow go to the knockout rounds, it would probably count for the entire team. Even if Johnston and Hoillet score the key goals, Buchanan gets a header, then Ubgo one late. You can leverage that, but the entire team could benefit for transfers. And David too--but only if he kept scoring when he got back to Lille.

Bayern is the team for him imo. They are screaming for a striker like him esp one who isn’t selfish and can actually pass the ball. 

if I’m Bayern I would forget kane who’s chasing the EPL scoring record and try for David instead. 

Chelsea I pray lose interest cause that’s where strikers go to die rather him go to united than Chelsea 

8 hours ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

Bayern is the team for him imo. They are screaming for a striker like him esp one who isn’t selfish and can actually pass the ball. 

if I’m Bayern I would forget kane who’s chasing the EPL scoring record and try for David instead. 

Chelsea I pray lose interest cause that’s where strikers go to die rather him go to united than Chelsea 

Not sure about that.  Bayern actually has a good number 9 in Eric Choupo-Moting, and they're starting to use him now a lot (5G, 2A in the last 5 games).  They also have his heir apparent in Mathys Tel who's only 17 and has looked pretty good in limited minutes.  Add in the fact that Mane, Sane and Mueller all play the SS/10/false 9 position (even Musiala too) and it is getting crowded for minutes on that team.  Not saying David couldn't be a starter, but it wouldn't be easy...

8 minutes ago, Bertuzzi44 said:

Choupo-Moting is 33 and Tel is 17. For a huge club like Bayern I could definitely see them looking for cover at striker. And none of Mane, Sane, Mueller are out-and-out strikers. They could probably cover, but again I could see Bayern looking to solidify the position.

He's not going to be handed a starting spot anywhere he is looking (from reports) but I think Bayern combines a very high level with an opportunity to play, more than just about anywhere. 

4 minutes ago, Free kick said:

For those with basic cable.  TV5 is has Lille vs Monaco on their sched for today at 3Pm Eastern. Monaco sits 2 pts ahead of Lille.

It's 15 minute tape delay on TV5

You can watch it live if you have Fubo or BeIn.

Not sure if One Soccer has it

Edited by narduch