Jonathan David

Vince193

16 minutes ago, costarg said:

I never said he wasn't talented, he can rack up the stats just as well as anyone.  That doesn't mean he isn't toxic and holding back his team even with the production.  The dumpster fire grew exponentially since his arrival, it was nowhere near as bad before him.

Hasn’t the “drama” mostly been Mbappe demanding that he and he alone be the face of the team, demanding they get rid of Neymar, demanding they secure a ton of top transfer targets, to play the way he wants to play, etc.? Not that he isn’t entitled to feel this way- he deserves his own elite team, he’s one of the best in the world, but PSG is clearly going to roll with Neymar and Messi etc., and Mbappe is *eventually* going to move on to greener pastures- he’s too young and too good not to, so it seems their best option is to get sell him now, and arguably his best replacement is Johnny David.

ultimately we want our players to play for the best teams possible, to face the best opposition possible, and also to be in a position where you can flourish. If there are better opportunities than PSG, I’m all for it, but as far as I know, it’s mostly mid table English clubs that are after him. I think the familiarity of staying in France, playing for Galtier while upping the stakes by playing for a team with high aspirations is the best bet to get JD to that world class level. It’s arbitrary, but I wanna see him score 25 goals in a season. I think his best bet to do that is at PSG.

Edited by InglewoodJack

For this fan, David choosing a league other than EPL is simply more interesting, just like traveling to countries where the first language isn't English is more interesting. EPL is like NFL: if you're a fan of the sport it's almost impossible to avoid, no matter how predictable the outcome or how odious some of the key players are.

Why should almost every footie fan in Winnipeg or Moose Jaw or Moncton have a favourite EPL team but not a favourite Serie A side? No particular reason other than marketing and $.

I just checked some stats, and David has improved in nearly every category this season (G, A, AvgS, Sh%, AvgP, PS%, KeyP, crosses, LngB, ThrB etc,). I haven’t watched a lot of Lille this season, so they may be more attacking than last, but it would be interesting to see what he could do on a more dominant side 

Edited by Aird25

8 minutes ago, jonovision said:

For this fan, David choosing a league other than EPL is simply more interesting, just like traveling to countries where the first language isn't English is more interesting. EPL is like NFL: if you're a fan of the sport it's almost impossible to avoid, no matter how predictable the outcome or how odious some of the key players are.

Why should almost every footie fan in Winnipeg or Moose Jaw or Moncton have a favourite EPL team but not a favourite Serie A side? No particular reason other than marketing and $.

I'm no expert but I imagine the English language has a lot to do with it. Does it not annoy anyone else that there is essentially zero coverage for us to enjoy on David at Lille? The vast majority of content on him is in French, as it would be. PSG would be slightly different, since because they're "a big club", there is more coverage on them on English speaking networks. Similar to how there is at least a decent amount of English speaking content on Bayern and Davies. But the reason Hank from Winnipeg has a favourite EPL club is because all of the coverage is in English, and there is plenty of it. It's kind of hard to get into AC Milan when you can't understand 95% of what is said about them.

I'm online all day for work and I have football podcasts on for most of the day. As such, I know and follow the EPL way more than any other league due to the amount of English speaking content on the league. If David moved to England to a big club and did well, imagine how much more fun/interesting/engaging it would be to follow his career when there would be hours of excellent punditry talking about his game every week. That's personally a big reason why I want him to move to England. Much more accessible to us fans.

Edited by frmr

1 minute ago, Stryker911 said:

He would be a fantastic pickup for a Champions League team that is looking for a bit of offense for the knockout rounds. I have mentioned before he could be a Vlahovic type of pick up. There has been Inter rumors in the past and if Lukaku is goin to be out for a while they may be interested once again.

He could actually partner Vlahovic if he goes to Juve, as they paired him and Di Maria (a winger) yesterday, or at least that's how they seemed to line up - I never watched the match.

David is best in a 2-man partnership, I believe.

4 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Out of curiosity, who's the last Canadian to play Serie A? I never factor them in to potential destinations for our players since it seems that when our players go to top leagues, it's France, England, some Germany.

I don't think anyone ever has.

Grande played Interto Cup for Brescia but was loaned out before the Serie A season started

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Marketing and dollars (Euros) are not only probably why we have heard of PSG but also why they are an elite team of course.  It's not like they have an intensive European history.

If you want to talk predictable, PSG winning the French league is more predictable than anything in English football.  

And we want to talk about odious players - look no further than PSG.

Sorry, I am biased but him going to PSG ticks all your negative boxes if you look at it objectively. 

If you want competition, England's top teams have European competition plus better competition week in and week out.  Spain, Italy and Germany would be better as well. 

To continue to try to be objective, David is very very good and can get better but he is not absolute world class at the moment. Is he in the top 25 forwards in the world, maybe, maybe not? PSG is a destination for such players, for good and bad. 

Is Mbappe a better player than he was when he joined PSG?  

Honest question - have they improved a lot of players at David's level? 

I know they attract a lot of very good youth and they often go on to decent to great careers elsewhere.  Magnain, Areola, Nkunku, Kingsley Coman etc. But it seems at David's age players move on to improve.

Like Man City, Chelsea is a tiny bit better at using their youth after loaning them.  

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 hour ago, InglewoodJack said:

Out of curiosity, who's the last Canadian to play Serie A? I never factor them in to potential destinations for our players since it seems that when our players go to top leagues, it's France, England, some Germany.

I believe it would be JDG...  ...as in, the JDG we don't speak of here...

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Marketing and money are more positively correlated to player quality in soccer than in any sport, and currently, the Premier League has established itself as the top flight of soccer at a time when the game is exploding in North America. North American soccer culture has been most closely influenced by English soccer, and to a lesser extent Italian soccer, however, Italy is in a bit of a slump currently, none of their teams compete for trophies in Europe, your typical 16 year old fan won't care about Napoli because they used to be one of the best teams in the world, just like young hockey fans don't care about the Habs and their 24 cups from before they were born. I think just like we see in so many other sports, there's been a pronounced shift towards focusing on players vs. clubs and making transfers a major part of following soccer. Because of this, unless your parents followed their childhood club, you most likely care about which big name players get signed where, and in soccer, most of the best players and biggest transfers are in England.

I'm in a pretty large sports discord, mixed americans and canadians, and there is barely a single mention of either national team, even when our teams are playing, yet there are several posts every hour about how much Darwin Nunez sucks, or how Haaland is doing or so on- that's what's interesting to new fans.

As a fan, I agree with you- one of the things I love about soccer is how many different quality leagues in different places there are- I like that watching AD play is a reason to check in on German soccer, how we watch French games because of David and Ugbo, and beyond that, all of our players in smaller leagues, it's more interesting than other sports where you have a single league of 30 teams, 10 of them are good, and you basically only try and play there.

15 minutes ago, GasPed said:

I believe it would be JDG...  ...as in, the JDG we don't speak of here...

Funny enough, I think his brother is our only La Liga player ever, minus Koleosho.

Edited by InglewoodJack

Not only that, but so many of his goals have directly added points to Lille's total. Only goal against Lens. Goal in a 2-1 win against Toulousse, 2 against Montpelllier in a 3-1 win. By my count, his goals contributed to 6 additional points (all of those matches would've been draws without his goals) which is the difference between 7th place, where they are now, and 14th place, where Strasbourg is right now.

If he stays remotely this consistent this year, you have to think he's up for player of the year in Ligue 1- don't care that Neymar and if he stays, Mbappe will have better numbers than him, but at this rate, he might actually drag Lille to Europe as a solo effort.

If Jonathan David went to PSG and played next to Neymay & Messi there is no such thing as bigger things for him. As far as raising his profile it's beyond that of even playing at Bayern. PSG may feel a bit cheesy to us here in Canada but that clubs a big deal and well followed around the world. They're basically automatic to be in the last couple rounds of Champions League every year. Easy top 5 club in the World 

Edited by SpursFlu

27 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

They're basically automatic to be in the last couple rounds of Champions League every year. Easy top 5 club in the World 

Automatic in the sense they have lost in the last 16, 4 of the last 6 years.   Or in the quarterfinals the 4 years before that. Or the fact they have been to the semi-finals 3 times in their history.

They tend to lose against the big teams when it really counts.

If you want to talk about a team that beats up on its league but has a more prestigious piece of European hardware - Borjan's Red Star technically fit the bill.

2 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Automatic in the sense they have lost in the last 16, 4 of the last 6 years.   Or in the quarterfinals the 4 years before that. Or the fact they have been to the semi-finals 3 times in their history.

They tend to lose against the big teams when it really counts.

If you want to talk about a team that beats up on its league but has a more prestigious piece of European hardware - Borjan's Red Star technically fit the bill.

Yes PSG are exactly like Red Star Belgrade. You're drunk dude

4 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I was going to put an emogee in to signal a joke but thought I didn't need to.

Look we can hate Man City for similar reasons and create an argument as to why they're not a big club. Finding a genuine ManCity supporter is no easy task. But we need to live in reality. It's not 1996

Playing for PSG is just like playing for Real Madrid or Liverpool or Bayer Munich or Man United (lol) or Barcelona (lol) or AC Milan (lol)

Edited by SpursFlu