Jonathan David

Vince193

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

You're right, I could've sworn William Hill was out of Vegas. Either way, money don't lie, so if they're calling him one of the most underrated forwards in Europe, that means something.

We're also going to start a dialogue on why one player in france who has 8 goals on the season is going to get transferred for 150 million euros, and another player with 8 goals in france is apparently not worth 50 million euros. seems to be what some finance people would call a "market inefficiency"

If he avoids a scoring drought this season, his value is going well north of 50MM. Teams will be regretting not getting him while he was cheap.

6 minutes ago, frmr said:

If he avoids a scoring drought this season, his value is going well north of 50MM. Teams will be regretting not getting him while he was cheap.

He also just tied Eden Hazard for most Lille goals since 2000 apparently.

And yeah, I think a lot of smart teams will see JD as the moneyball counterpart to the Mbappe sweepstakes. You can pay 150M (I heard Liverpool might bid up to 400M??) for Kylian Mbappe, or you can pay a modest 50-70M for Jonathan David, and at the end of the season, production won't be drastically different. Certainly not 100M different.

2 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

He also just tied Eden Hazard for most Lille goals since 2000 apparently.

And yeah, I think a lot of smart teams will see JD as the moneyball counterpart to the Mbappe sweepstakes. You can pay 150M (I heard Liverpool might bid up to 400M??) for Kylian Mbappe, or you can pay a modest 50-70M for Jonathan David, and at the end of the season, production won't be drastically different. Certainly not 100M different.

At that level, marketing is part of why you pay massive money for a player.  But hopefully our World Cup success will boost things in that area.

(Shame Lille are not in Europe again.) 

3 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

At that level, marketing is part of why you pay massive money for a player.  But hopefully our World Cup success will boost things in that area.

Lille not being in Europe may help a January move as he won't be Cup tied

5 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, Lille, if they win today, are one point out of Europe (one game extra). If literally anyone aside from David starts scoring, they have a decent chance of making it. Hell, they might sneak into Europe just off the back of how good JD has been.

6 minutes ago, narduch said:

Lille not being in Europe may help a January move as he won't be Cup tied

I think they abolished that rule, come to think of it.

Edit:  "Since 2018/19, it no longer matters whether those players have already played in the competition for another club, even for another club still in the competition."

https://www.uefa.com/uefachampionsleague/news/024e-0e9960c4c766-21ef2df7ed44-1000--can-january-signings-play-in-champions-league-europa-league-and/

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford