Jonathan David

Vince193

13 minutes ago, An Observer said:

If you want the top sides, it’s the 12 that were in the Super League and then add PSG and Bayern so it’s really a top 14

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_Super_League

That’s probably accurate. Looking back it shows you what a classy club Bayern is to have never been involved in that.

I've been advocating a Real Madrid move, but then backed off when I learned they already had their maximum 3 non-EU players. 

Just learnt today that Vinicius now has Spanish nationality, since early September, so they do have a spot open, only have Rodrygo and Militao as non-EU.

Apart from being the right fit as a sub for Benzema and to cover for post Benzema RM, there's the bit where Ancellotti follows our NT.

Put me down for a David to Napoli move.

They bought Osimhen (the guy David replaced) for 70M euros, so maybe they go farming at Lille once again. As mentioned, they are flying and Raspadori is there on loan from Sassuolo. Haven't watched him (highlights aside) but he's a secondary striker that's tearing it up in Champions League. He's only got a single goal in Serie A though. Maybe they pick up the phone if he goes cold and David has a good World Cup? 

I agree that despite form Napoli are more of that second tier of European giants, similar to Dortmund and mabye Atletico. As nice as it would be for him to join a true giant of world football, a smaller step up could be safer. I wouldn't want him to go to Dortmund though (agree with @SpursFlu, he put it in a very good way - world's highest trampoline club).

Unlike Dortmund, Napoli strike me as more of a destination, not a pit stop. Not saying Napoli would be his final destination, but there are some elite players who played a big chunk of their career at Napoli, such as Mertens, Insigne.... Maradona. There are definitely worse places for a Canadian international to play the bulk of their career. 

Or he could be a Cavani or Higuian, play there for 3 years or so before making a truly big transfer to a world giant as a proven goal scorer in his prime. 

Edited by Obinna

If anyone hasn’t watched Napoli play this year I would highly recommend it, soccer in its most beautiful form. Think of the exact opposite of Lille last season. It would be a joy to watch Davis in that team his counter attack and buildup play would fit well and would be given countless chances in good scoring positions for him to finish.

12 hours ago, frmr said:

It's based on current form. Napoli is absolutely flying right now. But I agree.

It can't be completely, based on the ranking of the English teams. Be interested to know the methodology. 

On the broader topic - of the top 14 - possibilties in England (where he wants to go eventually), for me.

- he could fit into Chelsea's current system, probably better than Broja.  Just depends on how long Aubameyang lasts

- Arsenal - still maybe, Nketiah hasn't shown a lot if Jesus falters in some way.

(Newcastle's wide forward positions could use an upgrade, not obviously in the 14 yet)

Bayern still seems like the place, if they don't think they need a big body in there. 

14 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

I wouldn't want Dortmund. It seems like the highest level trampoline club on the planet

I'll take the above list but replace Napoli with Atletico Madrid. Any of those 12 would be amazing. 

Atletico is perfect for David especially if he gets to play with players like Griezmann, Joao Felix among others and he gets to play in a system that actually would play to his strengths under El Cholo Diego Simeone

I feel somewhat positive about David going to Real Madrid relative to the other giant clubs he's been linked with. Maybe that's down to some of the analysis @Unnamed Trialist gave to us a while ago. I can't remember what you said at the time, but it left me with a decent feeling about it. 

The article says that David would be Benzema's long-term replacement, so he'd have to wait in the wings somewhat. How long the wait will be is the big question. Obviously, Benzema remains in the form of his life with no signs of slowing down. It kind of reminds me of Lewandowski, who's just a year younger but doesn't seem to be declining whatsoever. Could these guys be this lethal 3-4 years from now? If so, David going to Madrid may not be wise.

What do you guys think? 

Edited by Obinna

26 minutes ago, Obinna said:

I feel somewhat positive about David going to Real Madrid relative to the other giant clubs he's been linked with. Maybe that's down to some of the analysis @Unnamed Trialist gave to us a while ago. I can't remember what you said at the time, but it left me with a decent feeling about it. 

The article says that David would be Benzema's long-term replacement, so he'd have to wait in the wings somewhat. How long the wait will be is the big question. Obviously, Benzema remains in the form of his life with no signs of slowing down. It kind of reminds me of Lewandowski, who's just a year younger but doesn't seem to be declining whatsoever. Could these guys be this lethal 3-4 years from now? If so, David going to Madrid may not be wise.

What do you guys think? 

Even at his highest level Benzema doesn't usually play 90.

The real problem is that his subs got minutes and didn't take advantage of them. So that's where a sub who's effective comes in.

Benzema is about to play in a World Cup, turn 35, and challenge for a domestic league, domestic cup, and a champions league. There will be minutes. Furthermore, I could not think of a better forward to perhaps learn from, in training.

Madrid's bench players had large roles this past season, such as Camavinga and Rodrygo. The time is now. 

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Even at his highest level Benzema doesn't usually play 90.

The real problem is that his subs got minutes and didn't take advantage of them. So that's where a sub who's effective comes in.

Right, that rings a bell now. Thanks for the reminder on that. 

13 minutes ago, frmr said:

I think if David went to Real Madrid at the age of 23, we could all put up with him coming off the bench for a season.

I would still prefer a Premier League move though.

Sure, but will it be a season? Could be multiple seasons and who knows how long Benzema will keep ticking along.

Good news is that he is not a 90-minute player, supposedly. David would get chances. I do wonder though; would he struggle without the consistent game time? Jovic and Mariano seemed to. 

12 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Sure, but will it be a season? Could be multiple seasons and who knows how long Benzema will keep ticking along.

Good news is that he is not a 90-minute player, supposedly. David would get chances. I do wonder though; would he struggle without the consistent game time? Jovic and Mariano seemed to. 

Sorry was in a rush.

Point is that Madrid has taken coverage for Benzema seriously, they paid a "David" price for Jovic years ago now, they tried to believe in Mariano. Vini wasn't scoring, Rodrygo hadn't appeared. Hazard was a famous failure. It's amazing they've had success with such a thin roster.

It's obvious you need someone to support the leading striker effectively, or play alongside him.

If you look at the minutes of Jovic or Mariano, they were actually decent, with no production. What would happen if your younger striker were producing?

To @CCrTFC agreed, great striker to learn from. Movement off the ball, very poised and calm in buildup play, heads up always, generous team player. Good back to goal. Similar even keel personality. Like David tends to score inside the box, though better in the air.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

15 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sorry was in a rush.

Point is that Madrid has taken coverage for Benzema seriously, they paid a "David" price for Jovic years ago now, they tried to believe in Mariano. Vini wasn't scoring, Rodrygo hadn't appeared. Hazard was a famous failure. It's amazing they've had success with such a thin roster.

It's obvious you need someone to support the leading striker effectively, or play alongside him.

If you look at the minutes of Jovic or Mariano, they were actually decent, with no production. What would happen if your younger striker were producing?

To @CCrTFC agreed, great striker to learn from. Movement off the ball, very poised and calm in buildup play, heads up always, generous team player. Good back to goal. Similar even keel personality. Like David tends to score inside the box, though better in the air.

Yes but it would mean I would have to pay £15 more a month for another streaming service. 😉

Where would he even be in the depth chart? He’d compete for minutes so far with Benzema, Rodrygo, I think Valverde too- my concern is the time between now and when Benzema might move on or be ready to take a smaller role to let JD take the reins is basically the time between when Jovic was bought and left the team. 

i guess this is an existential question as a fan of the CANMNT. If we want our players to grow, they eventually need to end up at elite clubs and those clubs have elite players competing for playing time. I may be charging JD a Canadian tax myself, and should just believe that he’s good enough to eventually be an important player for Madrid, because that’s the only reason they’d be interested in him in the first place. 

I am more partial to a big la Liga move than an EPL move purely because of the fan base. (Mostly new North American) EPL supporters at big clubs are the worst. Americans who started following Liverpool like 8 months ago already want to blast Nunez straight into the sun. We don’t need JD moving to a team that forces us to come in contact with such riffraf.

Edited by InglewoodJack

5 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Where would he even be in the depth chart? He’d compete for minutes so far with Benzema, Rodrygo, I think Valverde too- my concern is the time between now and when Benzema might move on or be ready to take a smaller role to let JD take the reins is basically the time between when Jovic was bought and left the team. 

I am more partial to a big la Liga move than an EPL move purely because of the fan base. (Mostly new North American) EPL supporters at big clubs are the worst. Americans who started following Liverpool like 8 months ago already want to blast Nunez straight into the sun. We don’t need JD moving to a team that forces us to come in contact with such riffraf.

To be fair, English supporters aren't the most patient with new signings either. 

The biggest stage will always bring out the haters unless you start like Haaland.

18 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

To be fair, English supporters aren't the most patient with new signings either. 

The biggest stage will always bring out the haters unless you start like Haaland.

Even with Haaland, he's the bundesliga tap in merchant, easy goals only, only plays this way because City are too stacked, etc. I guess it goes with the territory.