Jonathan David

Vince193

Just watched the 4 Lille goals through the Ligue Un YT channel. Surely JD had to get credited with assists on both of Cabella's goals, no?

Also, anybody else find it hilarious how Cabella gave it the big one after scoring a 6-inch tap-in when JD did all the work to make the goal? At least their Lille teammates knew the truth and mostly went to JD to celebrate.

6 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

Potter doesn't name anyone, as he shouldn't, it's just the same old journalism writing speculation.

No coach would ever screw up a negotiation making a player more expensive by "naming" him.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Potter doesn't name anyone, as he shouldn't, it's just the same old journalism writing speculation.

No coach would ever screw up a negotiation making a player more expensive by "naming" him.

Old being from here

https://www.jeunesfooteux.com/Chelsea-Jonathan-David-LOSC-interesse-Graham-Potter_a59099.html

And repeated in the English press on Thursday, I believe.

But I said Tuesday on here that Chelsea is a top Premier League destination where he might play immediately.

So maybe I am the source?😉

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

1 minute ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Old being from here

https://www.jeunesfooteux.com/Chelsea-Jonathan-David-LOSC-interesse-Graham-Potter_a59099.html

And repeated in the English press in Thursday, I believe.

But I said Tuesday on here that Chelsea is a top Premier League destination where he might play immediately.

So maybe I am the source?😉

"Selon nos informations..."

Soccer journalism is trash.

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

"Selon nos informations..."

Soccer journalism is trash.

I swear I have said things on club forums before about Canadian players that have shown up in the English internet press a few days later.

Probably coincidence but some outlets' prime sources are random podcasts and ex-players or commentators speculating to fill time on radio or TV, so you never know.

23 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

I swear I have said things on club forums before about Canadian players that have shown up in the English internet press a few days later.

Probably coincidence but some outlets' prime sources are random podcasts and ex-players or commentators speculating to fill time on radio or TV, so you never know.

Or you can simplify: player agents, and agencies, make deals with journalists. 

They either pay them directly, or offer perks; or trade real information in exchange for the publication of speculation as "properly sourced" information.

It benefits a player for there to be rumours about a possible transfer and many suitors. It does not benefit a potential buying club to be revealing any interest at all for any player. Clubs tend to work silence when buying, agents work noise when looking for a sale.

I've seen so many decades of wild speculation in the Spanish press, and especially in summer, that I just treat it as non-items. It's the signal for me to take some time off.

David certainly had chances to score a bunch yesterday. He hit the post which Cabella tapped in, redirected a pass just inches wide of the other post and lofted a shot over the keeper that floated past the top corner of the goal. He was running hard for the entire 90+ mins. Btw David & Eustaquio we have 2 big engines who can cover a lot of ground and then there is Davies

Open to the Premier League and La Liga - eventually wants to play for a "massive" club.

Nice things to say about his Canada teammates and Herdman

Decent interview

(I think people forget how small Europe is relatively - Ghent being 45 mins from Lille)

Edit: I am probably underselling this. A big deal that a Canadian gets a 10 minute interview on Sky or really any player that isn't playing in games that they broadcast. 

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

9 minutes ago, WestHamCanadianinOxford said:

Open to the Premier League and La Liga - eventually wants to play for a "massive" club.

Nice things to say about his Canada teammates and Herdman

Decent interview

(I think people forget how small Europe is relatively - Ghent being 45 mins from Lille)

Lille's grounds are an 11 minute drive from Belgium. I doubt that David is established enough to have bought a permanent home or anything, but if a veteran player went from Ghent to Lille, he likely would keep the same house, considering most athletes live in the suburbs, and the suburbs of Lille are pretty much Belgium. In retrospect, him staying at Lille for a while is a great move, because he left Canada at 17 and effectively spent his first 5 years in Europe in the same spot- that's good for stability.

50 minutes ago, InglewoodJack said:

Lille's grounds are an 11 minute drive from Belgium. I doubt that David is established enough to have bought a permanent home or anything, but if a veteran player went from Ghent to Lille, he likely would keep the same house, considering most athletes live in the suburbs, and the suburbs of Lille are pretty much Belgium. In retrospect, him staying at Lille for a while is a great move, because he left Canada at 17 and effectively spent his first 5 years in Europe in the same spot- that's good for stability.

Yeah but only a matter of time before he leaves Lille especially when he's attracting interest from other clubs

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

Yeah but only a matter of time before he leaves Lille especially when he's attracting interest from other clubs

Yeah within the next year he's gone, I just think it's cool that he's been able to make a second home for himself instead of flying around Europe every other year and starting anew. I know it's tough for young players to fully adapt to Europe- you're effectively a high school kid one day, and a professional soccer player in a brand new country the next, so living in the same 45 minute radius from age 18-22 as you go from being an exciting raw prospect to an elite goal scorrer is probably a good thing, and probably helped him focus on getting better vs. focusing on adjusting to new surroundings.