Jonathan David

Vince193

When we talk about his goal scoring he's on pace for well over 20 in league play alone. Yes, we all know what happened last year so hopefully he's past those kinds of inconsistencies. Though with Lille you never know. I'd be surprised if his value is anything less than €40mil at the moment ($49.5 on transfermarkt). Lille bought him for €30mil? Yeah no way he goes for less than that even if his performance dips again like last year...and if he keeps his pace up he'll be north of €50mil in no time with plenty of suitors. Just my take.

2 hours ago, PegCityCam said:

This goal somewhat highlights my point about David's struggles with Canada. The goal comes from a ball played in through the middle that splits defenders as opposed to played wide which is how Canada typically works the ball up the field.

If a team is able to keep Canada wide (which is quite easy given our style) David is neutralized in a lot of ways.

Edited by mpg_29

6 minutes ago, mpg_29 said:

This goal somewhat highlights my point about David's struggles with Canada. The goal comes from a ball played in through the middle that splits defenders as opposed to played wide which is how Canada typically works the ball up the field.

If a team is able to keep Canada wide (which is quite easy given our style) David is neutralized in a lot of ways.

David has been at his  best playing with another striker or on the break.  If we play him, Tajon and Davies, you are relying on completely beating defenders with pace/and winning possesion back in midfield and starting quickly.  Not sure the midfield two we have access to has all of that especially against a midfield 3. 

4 minutes ago, VinceA said:

If we run a 4-3-3 with David up top flanked by Davies and Buchanan it would let us keep Adekugbe on the pitch which Herdman seems to want, and give us three bodies in midfield.

All players that like to go out wide...

This is why Larin ends up getting more points with Canada than David to the surprise of many. He's a point man for crosses.

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

All players that like to go out wide...

This is why Larin ends up getting more points with Canada than David to the surprise of many. He's a point man for crosses.

A better one at least.

I think David's club career has show you don't get the best out of him when you leave him alone in the middle.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

48 minutes ago, VinceA said:

He's currently scoring as a lone striker up top so maybe he's improving that part of his game.

I think he has improved in creating shots for himself, which is great.  

The goals that have been passed to him have been from mostly behind him if memory serves.  

He has support in the middle because the people around him ( for good or bad) are always looking to cut in. Bamba is a right -footer play on the left, for instance, so it makes sense. And David is good at coming back to the ball. I guess I am saying that you set up as a lone striker but in attack, they don't play that way to me.

Whereas Davies on the left and Buchanan , on the right, their dominant foot out, and against decent defenders that show you correctly, you are favouring getting to the byline, leaving the striker alone. Davies cutting in has its own issues.

But maybe we can work something. I appreciate getting to think about it.

Edited by WestHamCanadianinOxford

14 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Seems like such a nice guy...and genuinely affected by his rating. Let's cheer him up y'all! 🤣

https://instagram.com/stories/jodavid/2941127995747845001?utm_source=ig_story_item_share&igshid=MDJmNzVkMjY=

All Canadian players are underrated on fifa. Especially Millar… basically the lowest rated player in Basel’s starting 11 at 67. 

7 hours ago, frmr said:

A different perspective of David's goal. That's a high pressure penalty in front of a sold-out crowd against a bitter rival. And he slotted it in perfectly for the game winner. Good to see him score a penalty after hitting the post on his last one. Hopefully he can score 5 or 10 in a row now without a miss.

Could be why a couple of years ago he was tagged as The Iceman by TSN

11 minutes ago, frmr said:

There's no more despicable club on the planet than PSG. Anywhere but there.

Biases aside, he would put up absolutely phenomenal numbers with the kind of service he would receive there.  It would be a pretty crazy way to showcase his abilities.  Plus constant champions league footy deep into the competition every year.