Jonathan David

Vince193

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

This whole thing is awesome for him no doubt but short of a style of a play change for Lille, David, like I mentioned before, needs to declare his tenure in French football a victory and move on to a bigger club. I want to enjoy watching him play rather than see another teeth pulling season like this one.

Well with a very different team and likely different manager next season, Lille will probably be playing a very different style. But I agree, I'd like to see him move on. He's proven he can perform on the big stage.

Just caught up on everything now, congrats to David! He was a huge part of Lille winning the title, I’m shocked they won the league with how awful they were to watch at times. 

I hope they sell him this summer to a bigger club for a lot of $$$, though staying one more season and playing in the champions league wouldn’t be the worst thing. 

11 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

Screw this guy and his Twitter account. He has changed his handle several times and ripped David apart all year and now he has nothing to say. Called Belgium a farmers league and David was a fraud now he has the audacity to include his name in a celebratory video with his wonder boy Weah? Lol

13 hours ago, Gian-Luca said:

I guess it didn't occur to any of us to send a Canadian flag his way....oh well can't really begrudge him this, he's always maintained that he's proud to be Canadian and to be of Haitian descent.

https://theglobalherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2021/05/OOjvSLxlBKM-1.jpg

The Canadian flag was around his waist in this picture. He alternated between taking photos with the two. The Haitian-Canadian community is very tight-knit and proud, including here in Ottawa. 

11 hours ago, king1010 said:

So sounds like Lille’s coach Galtier is leaving to manage Nice whose new wealthy owners want to turn them into another PSG. Talk that he didn't want to stay for Lille’s firesale. Will be interesting if David stays and how strong the team will be next year in champs league. 

Will be interesting to see if any of Lille's players follow Galtier to Nice.  Not suggesting anything but I think it's likely and may make David's close season more complicated.  

David may feel differently about this campaign than I do.  He was tested, met the challenges and came through with a champions medal while looking good value.  But I came away too often after watching a match thinking that he would probably be a better fit in the opposing teams side than Lille. 

Nice video about 7 minutes long on Lille's season right up to winning the championship.  Some important David appearances in second half of the video.

https://twitter.com/losclive/status/1396888730120593411?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1396888730120593411|twgr^|twcon^s1_&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.passionlosc.org%2Fviewtopic.php%3Ft%3D2243start%3D263

Edited by Snowcrash
Forgot to add link

I have a feeling there is going to be significant turnover of players at Lille for next season. Massive debt and guaranteed champions league group stage money means the only financial incentive may be to get as much money for as many key performers as they can. 

1 hour ago, Macksam said:

Please someone tell him to take David with him....even though they beat them in the Europa League lol

I don't think David takes another intermediate step. I think he either stays or moves to England, his preferred destination.

Shocking that Lille actually pulled this off.  Massive upset.  The team looked to dysfunctional at times, however, they have some really great pieces.

Craziest of all...... guess which two guys lead the team in assists?  I'll spoil it for y'all, it's the two guys we've been accusing of hogging all season.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/24/lille-ligue-1-title-decade-christophe-galtier

Sanches is far from the only player who has benefited from Galtier’s management. The player he set up for the opening goal, David, also owes a debt to his coach.

While Burak Yilmaz’s recent heroics, especially against Lyon and Lens, have garnered the headlines, the development of David over the course of the season is perhaps Galtier’s finest achievement. The most expensive arrival to France this summer, the young Canadian struggled badly at the start of the season. Even when Lille were top of the table in January, that seemed despite his presence in the side, rather than because of it. With just two goals and one assist in the league, he hardly looked like justifying his €30m price tag – a huge figure for a club already under a great deal of financial strain.

His progression in 2021 to becoming a vital part of a title-winning side, is nothing short of miraculous. With 11 goals in the calendar year – including the winner against PSG in a closely contested match at the Parc des Princes and a late double against Marseille – David has been one of the league’s form players. By showing patience with the youngster, as well as belief in his partnership with the dynamic Yilmaz, Galtier once again demonstrated his ability to improve young attackers – as shown previously with Nicolas Pepé and Victor Osimhen.

2 hours ago, maccaliam said:

I have a feeling there is going to be significant turnover of players at Lille for next season. Massive debt and guaranteed champions league group stage money means the only financial incentive may be to get as much money for as many key performers as they can. 

It's easy to say there's going to be lots of turnover, but who's going to buy?  All the French clubs are in financial distress between the dual pandemic/MediaPro deal collapse.  England will probalby raid some players Ligue 1, but they'll be looking for deals and there's other clubs from them to poach from as well.  I'm in agreement they'll sell a few, but I think they'll try to retain some of the team and at least try to hold out another year (when the transfer market should rebound a bit) before selling off more.

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

It's easy to say there's going to be lots of turnover, but who's going to buy?  All the French clubs are in financial distress between the dual pandemic/MediaPro deal collapse.  England will probalby raid some players Ligue 1, but they'll be looking for deals and there's other clubs from them to poach from as well.  I'm in agreement they'll sell a few, but I think they'll try to retain some of the team and at least try to hold out another year (when the transfer market should rebound a bit) before selling off more.

Is domestic viewership in Ligue 1 football dismal? I'm guessing no, so some entity should pick up the rights and carry on business as usual. Ligue 1 should be fine by next season media wise.

10 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2021/may/24/lille-ligue-1-title-decade-christophe-galtier

Sanches is far from the only player who has benefited from Galtier’s management. The player he set up for the opening goal, David, also owes a debt to his coach.

While Burak Yilmaz’s recent heroics, especially against Lyon and Lens, have garnered the headlines, the development of David over the course of the season is perhaps Galtier’s finest achievement. The most expensive arrival to France this summer, the young Canadian struggled badly at the start of the season. Even when Lille were top of the table in January, that seemed despite his presence in the side, rather than because of it. With just two goals and one assist in the league, he hardly looked like justifying his €30m price tag – a huge figure for a club already under a great deal of financial strain.

His progression in 2021 to becoming a vital part of a title-winning side, is nothing short of miraculous. With 11 goals in the calendar year – including the winner against PSG in a closely contested match at the Parc des Princes and a late double against Marseille – David has been one of the league’s form players. By showing patience with the youngster, as well as belief in his partnership with the dynamic Yilmaz, Galtier once again demonstrated his ability to improve young attackers – as shown previously with Nicolas Pepé and Victor Osimhen.

I am  stunned sometimes by how things can look so different from one set of eyes to the next. 

On 5/24/2021 at 2:18 AM, Bdog said:

Just caught up on everything now, congrats to David! He was a huge part of Lille winning the title, I’m shocked they won the league with how awful they were to watch at times. 

I hope they sell him this summer to a bigger club for a lot of $$$, though staying one more season and playing in the champions league wouldn’t be the worst thing. 

Yeah prefer he stays at Lille because he does seem to be thriving there

30 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

I am  stunned sometimes by how things can look so different from one set of eyes to the next. 

He definitely showed patience with him. Although I am not sure how much his “improvement” was down to him or his manager per se. Plus, for those that watch him day in day out, you could say that the manager did not / has not set up the side to get the best out of their record signing. But you can see how a journalist can make such a conclusion based simply on the numbers in the first half versus second half and the aforesaid fact he showed patience. I do wonder how much patience he would have shown if they weren’t winning though. 

Edited by An Observer

19 minutes ago, An Observer said:

He definitely showed patience with him. Although I am not sure how much his “improvement” was down to him or his manager per se. Plus, for those that watch him day in day out, you could say that the manager did not / has not set up the side to get the best out of their record signing. But you can see how a journalist can make such a conclusion based simply on the numbers in the first half versus second half and the aforesaid fact he showed patience. I do wonder how much patience he would have shown if they weren’t winning though. 

I tend to agree but I will say that Lille did start to move away from the selfish, bomb-it-at-the-net style of play at the end of the year.  It was pretty telling that Bamba and Ikone both started on the bench in favour of a more dynamic midfield in the last (and deciding) game of the season.  It came a bit late for my liking but it seemed like there was a slight tactical shift late in the season.  

Agree that Galtier had a lot of patience in JD - and thankfully so.   Not sure a lot of other managers would have stuck with him that way.  So I think the article is true in that respect. It is like the author is just basing his view on the statistics and not really after watching the games.  

Edited by dyslexic nam

3 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I tend to agree but I will say that Lille did start to move away from the selfish, bomb-it-at-the-net style of play at the end of the year.  It was pretty telling that Bamba and Ikone both started on the bench in favour of a more dynamic midfield.  It came a bit late for my liking but it seemed like there was a slight tactical shift late in the season.  

Agree that Galtier had a lot of patience in JD - and thankfully so.    It sure a lot of other managers would have stuck with him that way.  So I think the article is true in that respect. It is like the author is just basing his view on the statistics and not really after watching the games.  

At the end of the day, I feel a lot better at the end of the season compared to at Xmas when I was starting to feel like he may have to go backwards to go forwards by going down a level either via loan or sale