General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

CNL doesn't seem to be part of the discussions, but that would be most interesting.

Most likely there will be a 2 groups of 4 (or 2 groups of 5) for the final round, depending on the new FIFA schedule and how many match days are lost. Either case would see us in the final round. 

Edited by Obinna

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

CNL doesn't seem to be part of the discussions, but that would be most interesting.

Most likely there will be a 2 groups of 4 (or 2 groups of 5) for the final round, depending on the new FIFA schedule and how many match days are lost. Either case would see us in the final round. 

Then if that is the case then I am all for it but an inevitable path to the inter continental playoff would have us going up against potentially New Zealand which either way you look at it, I love their chances well Canada's chances

3 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Then if that is the case then I am all for it but an inevitable path to the inter continental playoff would have us going up against potentially New Zealand which either way you look at it, I love their chances well Canada's chances

Agreed. NZ is a team we should beat on paper, but they have played in the WC and Confederations Cup in recent memory, so their program may have that psychological advantage over us. They would be the easiest draw for us, but same goes for them. Do you want to play a team like Chile/Peru/Uruguay or Canada?

I could convince myself we'd be a tougher match up than 5th place from Asia, but I am also biased. 

But for the inter continental playoff if it is CONCACAF vs Asia for that playoff spot, then I would definitely like our chances of not only getting that playoff spot but going up against whichever Asian team then we would be guaranteed a place at Qatar.

However, if it is CONCACAF vs OFC and we go up against Oceania, then we would still have a good chance

But then if it is CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL for that last playoff spot, our chances go out the window

1 minute ago, TGAA_Star said:

But for the inter continental playoff if it is CONCACAF vs Asia for that playoff spot, then I would definitely like our chances of not only getting that playoff spot but going up against whichever Asian team then we would be guaranteed a place at Qatar.

However, if it is CONCACAF vs OFC and we go up against Oceania, then we would still have a good chance

But then if it is CONCACAF vs CONMEBOL for that last playoff spot, our chances go out the window

Just wondering, did you use to post on the old voyageurs board under the name TG11?

Just now, SkuseisLoose said:

Just wondering, did you use to post on the old voyageurs board under the name TG11?

I mean yeah but I've evolved since then. More objective now than what I once was. But like you like everyone else on here I am a Canada national team fan. I mean I was born and raised in Canada even though I do have Ghanaian nationality but still I am a fan both of Canada and Ghana naturally.

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

I mean yeah but I've evolved since then. More objective now than what I once was. But like you like everyone else on here I am a Canada national team fan. I mean I was born and raised in Canada even though I do have Ghanaian nationality but still I am a fan both of Canada and Ghana naturally.

Are you using a burner account on a Canada soccer forum? Really? Kevin Durant would be proud.

Screen Shot 2020-05-06 at 11.59.36 PM.png

Edited by Kyle_The_Hill

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

As a Ghanaian fan.. Suarez handball, jerk or genius?

11 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

You might have evolved, but I would suggest you reflect more on the value of quality over quantity. 

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

How do you get to the conclusion that his mistakes dont lead to any goals based on save %??

Bring me a stat such as number of mistakes that led to goals or to scoring opportunities that shows hes in the top half of the league then we can say OK its not bad..but save % alone says very little

Save percentage says quite a bit.  Save percentage is the number of shots that are saved.  He saves a higher percentage of shots than the majority of other GKs in the league.  You need to shoot the ball in order to score.  When opposing teams shoot the ball, he is more likely to stop it than the majority of other GKs in the league.  Ergo, he is good at stopping shots which one might consider the number one job for a keeper.

However, lets assume that what you are seeing is true: he makes many mistakes that lead to goals or scoring opportunities.  For a young keeper, I guess that's to be expected.  Nevertheless, even with all these mistakes, he still saves more shots, on average, than all but five other keepers in the league.  If these mistakes led to a significant amount of goals last year, then were he to fix these mistakes, he would be one of the elite keepers in the league.  Not a bad prospect for a young keeper.  However, I don't think that not being an elite keeper in a league automatically means that he is out of his depth.

Unfortunately, what you are citing is confirmation bias.  After having seen him play, you believe that he makes mistakes on a regular basis.  Therefore, anytime you watch him going forward, you will watch him through that lens and anytime perfection is not achieved, that will reinforce your confirmation bias.  So, really, there isn't a single stat that I could quote that would change your mind.  I figured that going into this, but just thought I'd do the research to see where Crepeau actually is and was pleasantly surprised with what I saw.

Again, save % alone says very little as you are not taking into account the the quality of shots..its a weak stat to take alone and judge

Just with a quick research I found a couple better stats that show he was a top gk in the league last year so happy to see that..now on one of those stats hes near the bottom this year but its still early in the season so cant judge based on that..lets see how it goes this year

https://btsvancity.com/2019/11/18/between-the-sticks-revisiting-adjusted-save-percentage-and-mls-goalkeepers-/

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vQEb7FhoHDiIMRv3-mF4OfI3JkAIqfxLpKgWbdrqfj0FEXtGWXwCRtqNo7GJh9FqHbJnW5GPqYx48QX/pubhtml

https://twitter.com/letsallsoccer/status/1237457427643187205

3 hours ago, Big_M said:

Again, save % alone says very little as you are not taking into account the the quality of shots..its a weak stat to take alone and judge

Save % is used in many sports and of course it doesn't offer a complete picture of a players quality, no stat does, it is accepted as one of the easiest ways to measure one goalkeeper against another. So although you may not believe it as an appropriate stat to cite when assessing MC's ability it's ridiculous to argue against it.

28 minutes ago, TGAA_Star said:

Borjan will most likely start but there are also other goalkeepers for the future to consider such as Carducci, Pantemis or Leutwiler

Leutiwiler is not really one for the future. He is only a year or two younger than Borjan. 

If he grabs the starting job at Blackburn Rovers and hits incredible form I guess he could theoretically challenge Borjan, but I don't see it.

Nonetheless, Leutiwiler is a very suitable 3rd stringer for the national team. He is the back up keeper for a team in the English Championship. 

Pantemis and especially Carducci are keepers for the future though, along with Crepeau obviously.  

GULP!  That just hit me....Borjan could be done in a few years.  BAHH!!  Onstad was winning MLS keeper of the year at 37 and played for us until he was damn near 40.  Even Forrest, who had his carer cut short was 34.  Borjan could still be around well into the 2026 WCQ.    

Keepers have longer careers, but they cannot play forever.

Look at Tim Howard? He was a top 10 EPL keeper for years and years at Everton, had big moments in World Cups, but then what happened? He moved to Colorado around age 36/37 and it was swiftly downhill. It happens.

Borjan is turning 33 this year and will be 35 by 2022. 

I say let the best keeper lead us into 2022 and let the chips fall where they may. My guess is that Borjan will hold on to the number 1 jersey for a while, but post 2022 I think someone else will naturally emerge. Maybe Crepeau, maybe Carducci, maybe someone not even on the radar? Could be a dual international we didn't see coming!

All you can do is play the best until they are no longer the best. Give the back up spots to the future keepers if you want, but I don't support gifting caps to Crepeau or anyone else over Borjan, unless performance dictates. 

28 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

GULP!  That just hit me....Borjan could be done in a few years.  BAHH!!  Onstad was winning MLS keeper of the year at 37 and played for us until he was damn near 40.  Even Forrest, who had his carer cut short was 34.  Borjan could still be around well into the 2026 WCQ.    

He could be but I doubt it because most goalkeepers these days do not have that longevity internationally on the international stage unless you are Gigi Buffon or Tim Howard but still Borjan if he even gets to 2026 he would be 38/39 at least

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Keepers have longer careers, but they cannot play forever.

Look at Tim Howard? He was a top 10 EPL keeper for years and years at Everton, had big moments in World Cups, but then what happened? He moved to Colorado around age 36/37 and it was swiftly downhill. It happens.

Borjan is turning 33 this year and will be 35 by 2022. 

I say let the best keeper lead us into 2022 and let the chips fall where they may. My guess is that Borjan will hold on to the number 1 jersey for a while, but post 2022 I think someone else will naturally emerge. Maybe Crepeau, maybe Carducci, maybe someone not even on the radar? Could be a dual international we didn't see coming!

All you can do is play the best until they are no longer the best. Give the back up spots to the future keepers if you want, but I don't support gifting caps to Crepeau or anyone else over Borjan, unless performance dictates. 

That of course naturally makes sense but assuming Borjan and Canada qualify and if that's a very big if but if we qualify then Borjan would start off of experience of being the #1 but then Herdman if he is in charge will have final say anyway