General Discussion on CMNT

Scorpion26

8 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not interested in splitting hairs for the sake of argument here. Especially in light of this:

So it's not good for the reputation of the Gold Cup when teams don't take it seriously, but I'm also dishonest for framing it it similarly?

There are posts on here stating the Gold Cup is not important, although maybe in those exact words. The tennis example @Free kick gave, comparing a Grand Slam to an ATP 500 event, is exactly what I mean. ATP 500 is the fourth-tier of tournaments, and is overlooked by elite players outside of their mandatory minimum annual

If comparing the Gold Cup an ATP 500 event is ok (and I'm assuming by your "thanks" on that post that it is), then how can anyone then take issue with me saying that those 

Many top ranked tennis players play in some ATP 500 events.  Fourth tier i think are ATP 250.   Maybe a fairer comparaison would be Grand slam versus ATP 1000.  

Edited by Free kick

7 minutes ago, RS said:

I'm not interested in splitting hairs for the sake of argument here.

This is not splitting hairs:

41 minutes ago, RS said:

If it's not important then why bother having it?

This is taking the argument out of context. 

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Because they are literally telling you otherwise.

And I'm literally just following their logic to its natural conclusion.

2 minutes ago, Free kick said:

Many top ranked tennis players play in some ATP 500 events.  

Because they have to. There's a mandatory minimum number of ATP 500 events players have to participate in to avoid being docked rankings points.

Those are seen as tune-ups for the "real" events (Grand Slams and Masters 1000).

3 minutes ago, Obinna said:

This is not splitting hairs:

This is taking the argument out of context. 

I've never seen someone so vehemently argue a position that they purport to not support themselves. We could do this all day, but only one of us is actually sticking to the position we actually believe in.

1 hour ago, Obinna said:

Final roster

GK: Max, Dane, Leutwiler

D Miller, Waterman, Gutierrez, Singh, Johnston, Laryea, Brault-Guillard, Bassong

M: Kaye, Oso, Fraser, Paton, Baldisimo, Piette, Priso

F: Ayo, Cavallini, Akindele, Elva, Buchanan, Schaffleburg

1 - This team doesn't make it out of the group stage.
2 - There is a good chance that they go 0-3-0.
3 - Ayo still blows his ACL.
4 - Good chance that come September (y'know, when the games count?) our defence looks as disorganized as it did in the first minute against the US or most of the game against Haiti.  4 of the 6 (5 of 7 if you include Borjan) defensively responsible players come September would last have played together in June against Haiti.  If WCQ is so important, why are we using it to experiment?

We'll struggle in the first game against Honduras on Sept. 2nd (like we did against Haiti), make adjustments for the US game on Sept. 5th but probably still look disorganized (like we did against the US) and maybe have some plan by the time we get to El Salvador on Sept. 8th.

1 minute ago, RS said:

I've never seen someone so vehemently argue a position that they purport to not support themselves. We could do this all day, but only one of us is actually sticking to the position we actually believe in.

Nope. Just pointing out your intellectual dishonesty. I made the case for both positions and clarified the one I personally support.

Pretty clear at this point you're purposely trying to denigrate the argument by misrepresenting it and then doubling down by calling that misrepresentation "splitting hairs".

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Just pointing out your intellectual dishonesty.

This is truly laughable given some of the posts you've written on here over the past year, but thanks for the condescension.

I made the case for both positions and clarified the one I personally support.

Only after I responded to your post that made it look like you supported the opposite.

1 minute ago, El Hombre said:

1 - This team doesn't make it out of the group stage.
2 - There is a good chance that they go 0-3-0.
3 - Ayo still blows his ACL.
4 - Good chance that come September (y'know, when the games count?) our defence looks as disorganized as it did in the first minute against the US or most of the game against Haiti.  4 of the 6 (5 of 7 if you include Borjan) defensively responsible players come September would last have played together in June against Haiti.  If WCQ is so important, why are we using it to experiment?

We'll struggle in the first game against Honduras on Sept. 2nd (like we did against Haiti), make adjustments for the US game on Sept. 5th but probably still look disorganized (like we did against the US) and maybe have some plan by the time we get to El Salvador on Sept. 8th.

I agree, which is why I don't support this side of the argument. I am just making the case for it to demonstrate it's not the bullshit argument people are making it out to be. There is some merit for calling a squad like that. It wouldn't be all CPL players like @Bison44 suggests.

By the way, I think we'd still get out of the group, but I get your point that we wouldn't get far. I agree with that.

3 minutes ago, RS said:

This is truly laughable given some of the posts you've written on here over the past year, but thanks for the condescension.

Anytime. You deserve it.

I do my best to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (here and elsewhere). I really try to stay patient, level headed and try my best to understand other people's point of view, but in your case it's no longer worth it to extend that benefit.

5 minutes ago, Obinna said:

Anytime. You deserve it.

I do my best to give everyone the benefit of the doubt (here and elsewhere). I really try to stay patient, level headed and try my best to understand other people's point of view, but in your case it's no longer worth it to extend that benefit.

You're talking about the guy who just yesterday could've easily blasted you for your obvious attempt at spewing more COVID disinformation in this post here but instead took the high road and gave you the benefit of the doubt that you — somehow — innocently forgot to read the sentence immediately preceding the paragraph you decided to quote.

I've seen you be "patient" and "level-headed" while still posting some highly-questionable things in here. It's no longer worth it for me to extend you the courtesy of not calling you out on it any longer.

3 hours ago, Free kick said:

Its wasnt just @Unnamed Trialist !   

i was baffled and still am by the number of negative responses we were getting to the suggestion that we should not be inviting our essential player(s) to this event given that its only 6-8 weeks from WCQ.  

i thought it would be safe comment to say so.  But no,  the negative and cynical feedback we got surprised me.   

I wrote a post that said "I told you so" 3 hours before Phonzie's injury was announced. 

Because it was childish on Herman's part and irresponsible. 

We're just tearing through humans as if they were sackcloth, and the glibness in this board seems to insist most don't give a damn. 

Herdman Is still making medical statements about players that are grossly unethical, speculating when he's not the doctor and has no right to open his trap. 

All our player pool, not just those injured, are taking note,you can be sure of it. 

2 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I wrote a post that said "I told you so" 3 hours before Phonzie's injury was announced. 

Because it was childish on Herman's part and irresponsible. 

We're just tearing through humans as if they were sackcloth, and the glibness in this board seems to insist most don't give a damn. 

Herdman Is still making medical statements about players that are grossly unethical, speculating when he's not the doctor and has no right to open his trap. 

All our player pool, not just those injured, are taking note,you can be sure of it. 

It would be hard to think of a more hyperbolic response.  

We are tearing through like sackcloth?

Most Voyageurs don’t care about the health of CMNT players?

Herdman’s actions are childish, irresponsible and unethical? 

Damn.  You are taking “I told you so” to new and unprecedented heights.  

16 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

It would be hard to think of a more hyperbolic response.  

We are tearing through like sackcloth?

Most Voyageurs don’t care about the health of CMNT players?

Herdman’s actions are childish, irresponsible and unethical? 

Damn.  You are taking “I told you so” to new and unprecedented heights.  

Youre right, a bunch of immature dipsshit fans behaving like jerks has zero effect on the programme. 

Davies, "it's just a knock". 

Ayo, "well he walked off, he'll be fine" 

Larin, "looks like a dead leg to me". That last idiocy is on Herdman. 

The fact that he's incapable of saying "diagnostic reserved" shows his class. Patient - doctor confidentiality actually still has to be respected BTW. 

Voyageurs board : we can always call in Ricketts. 

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

19 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Youre right, a bunch of immature dipsshit fans behaving like jerks has zero effect on the programme.

Just curious who the dipshit fans are in this case?  Is it the ones hoping for the best or the ones doing a victory lap because they can now say "I told you so"?

The Internet: doesn't matter what your opinion is so long as you can prove that you were right.

22 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Davies, "it's just a knock". 

Ayo, "well he walked off, he'll be fine" 

Larin, "looks like a dead leg to me". That last idiocy is on Herdman. 

The fact that he's incapable of saying "diagnostic reserved" shows his class. Patient - doctor confidentiality actually still has to be respected BTW. 

Voyageurs board : we can always call in Ricketts. 

I wish there was an eye roll emoji to reply with.

4 hours ago, Obinna said:

nobody said Gold Cup "isn't important", it is just relatively unimportant compared to WCQ, which everyone would agree on I am pretty sure.

From Unnamed Trialist in the Gold Cup thread.

"I like you all, who couldn't give a damn if we're unnecessarily injuring players in a nonconsequential kickaround."

I think before the 60 man roster was announced plenty of people were fine with the idea of resting our starters for the Gold Cup. There were arguments for and against it to be made. But there were a couple people that seemed to take their argument to the extreme and that is what got a big reaction.

If someone said "I think we should not call Davies and David to avoid injury" then the reaction from the other side would probably be something like "They could get injured in training with their clubs as well. It can't be entirely avoided."

But when someone calls our continental championship an "nonconsequential kickaround" that is going to get a bigger reaction.