Stephen Eustaquio

52 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Rudi really, this misplaced fanboy mentality is a joke, don't know why you insist. No country has it easier to get players into draftable positions after the US, it's a fact. I have a buddy I've known from literally elementary school who coached high school in BC and regularly sent guys into Division One programmes, including Gonzaga.

A kid from Lithuania doesn't have a tiny fraction of the same chances to make an NBA draft.

There's some real galaxy brain stuff in here.

A. Maybe Canadian players are getting into the NCAA in droves because Canada is now creating many good basketball players? No, it must be solely based on our proximity to the U.S., who apparently don't have enough talented basketball players to fill their own college ranks and must look to a country that is "not good at basketball" to help out. Yes, that must be it!

Maybe the NCAA coaching ranks are filled with Canada fanboys as well.

B. Again, if a kid from Lithuania "doesn't have a tiny fraction of the same chances to make an NBA draft," could perhaps part of that reason, however small it may be, be that Canada creates more high-level basketball players than Lithuania does?

It's not fanboyism to note that Canada, as a whole, is a decent basketball nation that has improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade and has the potential to be among the world's elite. I'm the one who said that Canada needs to prove it at the (men's senior) international level at some point soon, but I'm also not disregarding the entire sport in this country simply because they haven't medalled at an Olympics, yet.

No one here is boasting about players who don't commit Canada's men's basketball team, by the way. That's a total red herring and an(other) example of arguing in bad faith.

53 minutes ago, RS said:

There's some real galaxy brain stuff in here.

A. Maybe Canadian players are getting into the NCAA in droves because Canada is now creating many good basketball players? No, it must be solely based on our proximity to the U.S., who apparently don't have enough talented basketball players to fill their own college ranks and must look to a country that is "not good at basketball" to help out. Yes, that must be it!

Maybe the NCAA coaching ranks are filled with Canada fanboys as well.

B. Again, if a kid from Lithuania "doesn't have a tiny fraction of the same chances to make an NBA draft," could perhaps part of that reason, however small it may be, be that Canada creates more high-level basketball players than Lithuania does?

It's not fanboyism to note that Canada, as a whole, is a decent basketball nation that has improved by leaps and bounds in the last decade and has the potential to be among the world's elite. I'm the one who said that Canada needs to prove it at the (men's senior) international level at some point soon, but I'm also not disregarding the entire sport in this country simply because they haven't medalled at an Olympics, yet.

No one here is boasting about players who don't commit Canada's men's basketball team, by the way. That's a total red herring and an(other) example of arguing in bad faith.

Love this!  Adding Premise 1 plus premise 2 does not automatically allow someone to make a broad conclusion. It’s poor debate skills and you poked a hole in these arguments!  

4 hours ago, Mattd97 said:

yeah guys, dont start this argument again. we already won once, no need to beat a dead and clearly wrong horse.  as unnamed trialist said, just cause there are a lot of good canadian basketball players doesnt mean canada is good at basketball -- thats an insane conclusion to come to

I am not even going to argue back his statement. We have good basketball players but we aren’t actually good 🤣

7 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Don't get me started, again. 

List the medals in Olympics and World Championships. Compare to other countries. Where does that put us? Canada is not even top 12 in the world.

We are not good at basketball, we have guys who play well who are on good teams in a good league.

When have we played with all our top guys? Outside the Rio qualifiers, which happened in 2015, I can't think of anytime when we played with ALL our top guys, and we absolutely bull dozed that tournament minus the lapses that occurred against Venezuela in the Semis. 

4 hours ago, jonovision said:

Has Canada ever had a decent result at any international tournament?

Do all our best players who play in the NBA care about international basketball? That's the better question.

4 hours ago, Canuckistan2019 said:

You guys have to realize a lot nba Canadian players don’t show up to play for. Canada and prefer having a full offseason. Most times the Canada team consist of few nba players with the rest being journey men playing in Europe or lower leagues.

talent pool wise Canada is stacked and is top 5 country in basketball 

This really doesn't need to be stated but when you have people like UT who like to avoid facts, it's unfortunately warranted. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Canadians have the easiest access to the NBA of any nation, due to ready access to NCAA.

Geez, all these dumbass excuses to replace just winning. Just medal. Anything. Then boast. Such big headedness, it's delusional.

I've been watching Canada play since at least the LA Olympics, we have barely built anything since then (in men). But I'll be thrilled when we do.

Still have your head up your ass? 

2 hours ago, Onelessstar said:

Just take the loss and move on.😉

He can't. He's neurotic and will double down even when he knows he's wrong. 

2 hours ago, El Diego said:

Canada's talent level in basketball is significantly better than the results of it's national team.

Not sure why we need pages to grasp this.

It's because of UT. 

6 hours ago, Tyson M said:

A soccer comparaison would be to say that the Netherlands or Portugal are not good at soccer bc they have never won the world cup... I think that is insane. Canada currently is rather clearly top 12 in the world in basketball, maybe even top 5!

We were shit at basketball for 30 years other than Steve Nash, but we are very good at basketball now as the landscape has changed in the last 10, even the last 5. You can’t look into the past to judge today

I love how worked up people are getting about this, when "good" isn't even a very descriptive word. For some people it might mean top 3, for some people it might mean top 30. For some people it might mean over a long period of time, for other people it might mean at this moment.

It has also just occurred to me that with all the hot button off-topics we have seen pop up multiple times on this board, I don't recall ever seeing THE soccer hot topic/debate on this board. Hopefully it stays that way.

Oh my gosh, I just realized THE soccer hot topic/debate could be called the "7-10 split", but I guess there aren't enough bowlers for that to catch on :D