CPL General

15 hours ago, Haligonian#1 said:

I think it is better to offer extra free tickets to your season tickets holders for them to distribute to whomever they want, then to sell cut-rate tickets or give away free tickets to less committed fans. This way you do not piss-off your most committed fans and get more bums in seats.

Absolutely. "Bring a friend" is a promotion for the club and a bonus for the season ticket holder. The only exception I would make is a targeted BOGO deal which can also be effective with non-STH's.

22 hours ago, Watchmen said:

There are 5 major banks in Canada, and it seems that none of them have opted to directly sponsor the CPL.  So blame them all, if you want.  I wouldn't bother to single one out because of a sponsorship in another country.

TD sponsors York as Greenpark's bank is TD.

BMO & CIBC have been previous sponsors of the CSA. CIBC appears to be back as a CSA sponsor as they had ads during the last WCQ window but I haven't seen an official announcement or seen CIBC listed as a sponsor on CSA's website.

They have announced a soccer friendly at Mosaic Stadium in Regina for August 3rd.  TFC2 to face Sunderland’s U23.  REAL District (landlord for Mosaic) reps quoted saying that they see a future CPL team at Mosaic someday, but that a smaller intermediate facility would be needed first.  Reps also boldly stated that they couldn’t see why they should have to wait for Saskatoon to launch first.

https://leaderpost.com/sports/soccer/friendly-game-of-footy-to-kick-off-queen-city-ex-in-august

Edited by bugsey2k

3 minutes ago, bugsey2k said:

They have announced a soccer friendly at Mosaic Stadium in Regina for August 3rd.  TFC2 to face Sunderland’s U23.  REAL District (landlord for Mosaic) reps quoted saying that they see a future CPL team at Mosaic someday, but that a smaller intermediate facility would be needed first.  Reps also boldly stated that they couldn’t see why they should have to wait for Saskatoon to launch first.

struggling to add the link, lol.  

I thought the Saskatoon group owned the Regina rights too?

10 hours ago, bugsey2k said:

https://leaderpost.com/sports/soccer/friendly-game-of-footy-to-kick-off-queen-city-ex-in-august

In 2017 Valencia played Cosmos at Mosaic. 

Isn't this a massive step down? 

On 5/27/2022 at 9:00 PM, Aird25 said:

If they built this and turned it into a soccer stadium it would sell out 10 times over 

As you know if you are from Victoria, they have done many events in the harbour. The symphony does a regular summer concert from a barge with people on the grass of the parliament building nd on boats around their floating stage. 

As ports are federal, you'd need federal permission. It could only be something temporary, and even then, as many boats are moored in there, you could not set up for overly long.

So often we get seduced by the gimmicks in Canada instead of being minimally serious and spending on infrastructure with legacy value.

15 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

As you know if you are from Victoria, they have done many events in the harbour. The symphony does a regular summer concert from a barge with people on the grass of the parliament building nd on boats around their floating stage. 

As ports are federal, you'd need federal permission. It could only be something temporary, and even then, as many boats are moored in there, you could not set up for overly long.

So often we get seduced by the gimmicks in Canada instead of being minimally serious and spending on infrastructure with legacy value.

That really wasn’t meant to be taken seriously 

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

It's important to note that although the above tweet only has an American flag next to MLS, Canadian MLS teams can also qualify via the MLS spots.

Another thing of note, if the Canadian Championship winner (or US Open Cup champion) qualifies another way (for example, winning the championship in MLS or CPL) then the runner up in the Canadian Championship (or US Open cup) gets the spot. It DOESN'T go to the next best team in the CPL.

Ex: If York United were to win the Canadian Championship and the CPL, they would enter the Champions League as CPL champions, and the runner up in the Canadian Championship would enter the Champions League as the Voyageurs Cup champs. If the Canadian Championship runner up also has another Champions League spot (for example, it's TFC but they also won the MLS Cup) then it goes to the "highest ranked" semi finalist. I don't see a definition for how the semi finalists are ranked precisely, but I imagine it's as if there was a table in the Canadian Championship.