CPL General

Just now, Big_M said:

Kind of sounds like "we need better attendance ASAP or we will look to sell the team"

“The CPL started in 2019 and we had a very successful launch that season,” said Miller. “The pandemic really set that back. It’s a start-up team in a start-up league and now we’re working to get fans back into the building and we really need to increase the attendance. We’re going to continue to work hard to make this a success, but we need more people at these games. We’ve been patient coming out of the pandemic, but we need to see a change.”

Bombers CEO

4 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Could go in the attendance discussion as well, I'll post it here:

I wonder how much of Miller's comments are really directed at the club rather than being about the fans. Valour sucked last season with only 3 wins in 20 games after the bubble. Plus the attendance for their last home game was just over  3,600, which is the highest this season. I don't think there's anything to worry about just yet.

They're also getting coverage on 680 CJOB with recaps, previews and interviews and the Winnipeg Sun has been covering them, and the national teams, more consistently.

Ultimately though nothing gets butts in seats faster than winning

Think the reality is that a community owned CFL club is only doing pro soccer if it benefits them in some tangible way and they can justify the investment to Blue Bombers season ticket holders on that basis. Hopefully there's scope for a viable initially league operated plan B at the Ralph Cantafio Soccer Complex if this goes south in a big way from here.

https://www.winnipegsoccerfederation.ca/cantafio-complex

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

I was curious and got to digging... the amount of players still on their clubs from the inaugural CPL season:

Forge 9 (10 if you count Welshman leaving and then coming back)

Cavalry 4 (rises up to 7 if you include Pepple/Escalante leaving for a season or two and Loturi playing earlier this season)

Halifax

Valour 2

York 1 (Ricci was also there year one, but left and came back)

Pacific 1

Edmonton: 0

Ottawa: didn't exist lol

32 minutes ago, Pottsy3 said:

I was curious and got to digging... the amount of players still on their clubs from the inaugural CPL season:

Forge 9 (10 if you count Welshman leaving and then coming back)

Cavalry 4 (rises up to 7 if you include Pepple/Escalante leaving for a season or two and Loturi playing earlier this season)

Halifax

Valour 2

York 1 (Ricci was also there year one, but left and came back)

Pacific 1

Edmonton: 0

Ottawa: didn't exist lol

People credited Calgary and Hamilton’s success in year 1 in part to the roster stability that Foothills and Sigma allowed coming into kickoff. 4 years later and no other teams seem to have learned. At least for Pacific I bet around half of those players are still in the league and performing well. A handful have moved onto bigger clubs outside the league

Edited by Aird25

8 hours ago, Moore204 said:

Ultimately though nothing gets butts in seats faster than winning

But ultimately your plan for fan support can't assume you'll be winning.  You should have winning seasons but you'll also have losing seasons.  The basic, necessary level of fan support has to be there regardless.

37 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

People credited Calgary and Hamilton’s success in year 1 in part to the roster stability that Foothills and Sigma allowed coming into kickoff. 4 years later and no other teams seem to have learned. At least for Pacific I bet around half of those players are still in the league and performing well. A handful have moved onto bigger clubs outside the league

Pacific had a lot of year one to two turnover, but since then they've built a pretty consistent core. While only Baldisimo is around from day one, an additional 9 players have been on the roster since the Island Games.

Edited by Pottsy3

2 hours ago, Pottsy3 said:

Pacific had a lot of year one to two turnover, but since then they've built a pretty consistent core. While only Baldisimo is around from day one, an additional 9 players have been on the roster since the Island Games.

True to a certain extent. We lost our manager and the 5 players with the most all-time appearances for the club just this offseason. Four of those players were some of the first names on our team sheet. 

4 hours ago, Aird25 said:

True to a certain extent. We lost our manager and the 5 players with the most all-time appearances for the club just this offseason. Four of those players were some of the first names on our team sheet. 

That also definitely affected the year one consistency numbers. McNaughton, Chung, Campbell, Hoj, and Blasco were ofc all there for the first three seasons.

Not sure where to post this - so hope this is the correct forum

CPL is missing a huge opportunity ( and I am not a collector BTW) with all the young players developing from this league to not link with a card manufacturer for sports cards ….collectors crave rookie cards and with the burgeoning talent in the CPL, cards of players in the earliest parts of their careers should have some cache for those people interested in this sector 

Even the old Sunlight cards were cool.  Make it half CPL and a CMNT star series.  Some sort of cross promotional thing, Gatorade, Oat milk, a deal with tim hortons etc.  It doesnt have to be a high end collectable either.  Rememeber the honey comb "stars in action" NHL promos??  I never ate so much honeycomb as when they were giving those things out.  

53 minutes ago, Markoaleks said:

CPL is missing a huge opportunity ( and I am not a collector BTW) with all the young players developing from this league to not link with a card manufacturer for sports cards ….collectors crave rookie cards and with the burgeoning talent in the CPL, cards of players in the earliest parts of their careers should have some cache for those people interested in this sector 

Yup, there's a thread on card collecting here:

https://www.canadiansoccernews.com/forums/topic/77709-canadian-player-soccer-cards/page/11/

And this has certainly been a topic in the past.

3 hours ago, Markoaleks said:

I have a complete, sealed set of PFC cards from 2019. ;)

Independent club model?

https://canpl.ca/article/aribim-pepple-to-luton-town-behind-the-scenes-of-a-cpl-transfer

...There are nine football operations departments in the CPL: One at each club, and one at the league. That latter group works with each team individually on recruiting and scouting international players, but it is also a vital cog when it comes to outgoing transfers.

That’s where a centralized CPL football department helps. Unlike managers such as Cavalry’s Tommy Wheeldon Jr. or York’s Martin Nash, Gage isn’t burdened by the daily grind of training a team and trying to win games as he works to recruit and sell players.

Gage and his department are free to focus on promoting CPL players to teams around the world, speaking to agents and recruitment staff to try and generate interest...