CPL General

11 minutes ago, Cheeta said:

Seems a bit harsh, no?  Certainly gives the requirement a seriousness, no doubt about it.

Would have thought a points deduction would have been enough of an incentive. Might produce the same result, losing a playoff position, but then again it might not.

Does anyone know if this ‘punishment’ was in place since Day 1 of the season or just added this week?

Edited by gwsmith63

Later in the thread it's made clear that the source is the league website:

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

* The minimum minute playing requirement for U-21 Domestic Players is a critical tenet of the League. As such, any team that fails to meet the 2,000-minute requirement over the course of the 2022 CPL Regular Season will be ineligible to participate in the 2022 CPL Playoffs. Any such team would also likely be assessed significant financial and other possible penalties.

Suspect the teams knew about it going into the season but it isn't stated explicitly.

16 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Later in the thread it's made clear that the source is the league website:

https://canpl.ca/u-21-minutes-played/

* The minimum minute playing requirement for U-21 Domestic Players is a critical tenet of the League. As such, any team that fails to meet the 2,000-minute requirement over the course of the 2022 CPL Regular Season will be ineligible to participate in the 2022 CPL Playoffs. Any such team would also likely be assessed significant financial and other possible penalties.

Suspect the teams knew about it going into the season but it isn't stated explicitly.

I could be wrong but I don’t recall seeing the last bit on the website before today. 

I had asked this question previously on here and most of the answers seemed to be a fine. There was no indication by anyone that missing the playoffs was the punishment. This seems to be a fairly recent development although I will defer to the ITK crowd who will know better.

Edited by gwsmith63

15 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Any such team would also likely be assessed significant financial and other possible penalties.

This makes sense.  If it was only missing the playoffs a team like Edmonton would have no incentive to comply.

Edited by Kingston

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Can anyone confirm whether minutes count for any player who was under 21 at the beginning of the season (or some other arbitrary date)? Or do the minutes no longer count after their 21st birthday? I assume the former but it makes a big difference for some teams.

Year of birth...anyone born in 2001 or after is a U21 for all of the 2022 season

3 hours ago, jonovision said:

Can anyone confirm whether minutes count for any player who was under 21 at the beginning of the season (or some other arbitrary date)? Or do the minutes no longer count after their 21st birthday? I assume the former but it makes a big difference for some teams.

Year of birth...anyone born in 2001 or after is a U21 for all of the 2022 season

A bit like leaving Forge fans baking in the sun last weekend when the opposite side of the lower tier seating was in the shade but off limits, CanPL need to also think about the optics of the timing of this particular transfer from the standpoint of people who are emotionally invested in the on-field performance of Pacific FC in the CONCACAF League:

Interesting to compare and contrast what has happened with what the plan was reported to be back in 2016:

...Some of the details that have come to light are that the league will begin with 6-8 teams all backed by owners who have current ties to the CFL or NHL. The league will also be fully sanctioned by FIFA so it will be as official as it gets, but with a strong Canadian flavor to the whole thing.

The league is planning on building academy systems to help young Canadian soccer players find their way to the pro leagues. Nearly all the clubs in South America and Europe have fully functioning academies and it is a trend that is taking hold in MLS. It will also reportedly develop a management school to bring more Canadian coaches and executives to the forefront of the industry...
Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

38 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Someone captured Henry spitting on Escalante during last night's game...

https://v.redd.it/l8k9nhax2kh91

Can you see any actual spit? Perhaps he did and disgusting if so, but it looks just as likely that he said something to him rather than spitting.
Has anyone (players, coaches, etc) claimed Henry spat? 

34 minutes ago, shermanator said:

Someone captured Henry spitting on Escalante during last night's game...

https://v.redd.it/l8k9nhax2kh91

We don't know if he's spitting or gesturing to spit. Or parodying someone else spitting. Or if it's a twitch. Or using a spitting motion to say a word with greater emphasis. Or twitching to spitting effect. Or really spitting but deliberately not on him since footballers are accurate spitters. Or spitting but in a way that may not be fully scumbag, ie, in proportional retaliation to an equally scumbag gesture.

Or if he's already a scumbag even without spitting. 

I did a class Friday on ethnographic method in the interpretation of semantic and non semantic forms of communication, I'd be happy to elaborate. 

After reading about Valour's potential player turnover, it would be my wish that the CPL, if it has not already done so, look to focus more on young Canadians for roster spots and maybe see if there are more who can return to play in Canada from points abroad. I am not thinking of top prospects who are established in a good club's system, unless as a loan.

Of course, relative salaries are a big stumbling block here. I wonder if it is possible to have individual players receive individual sponsorship toward income or salary to help facilitate this.

The goal is, of course, threefold, to increase the opportunities for Canadians, to improve the standard of play, and to increase the potential for more lucrative transfers if the young guys become really good.

• 2 weeks later...