CPL General

32 minutes ago, narduch said:

Pacific if they do well in the Concacaf League starting soon.

This is the last ever Concacaf League as well

D'oh, of course. I keep forgetting that those games are for the '23 CCL. Still waiting to hear who we will play.

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

They desperately need someone who can deal with and enhance the CPL in French Canada. Not another guy in his bubble who can go on thinking it does not matter.

Admittedly I know very little about the situation in Québec, but if would be owners exist, what more convincing could a new commissioner do other than sell it financially? Even without a team yet, is CPL not the most common path to pro over the last couple of years in the province?

12 minutes ago, yothat2 said:

well written article. all solid points and arguments.

Makes sense to me.  CPL budget cannot complete with MLS and Mexico league.  So complete with the Central American teams -- it has been competitive so far!

The article isn't really wrong, but my preferred solution would be to fix the CCL format. It doesn't make sense for Canadian teams to play in a Central American competition. I want the CCL to look more like it did 10 years ago with 4 team groups, not straight into a knockout against a big budget team. If you have 4 team groups, depending on how the numbers work out, perhaps a CPL team is drawn against an American MLS team, a Mexican team, and a Central American or Caribbean team. Then they would have 6 games, 2 of them should realistically be competitive, and then they get 2 cracks at home at an upset and possibly drawing a big home crowd, and 2 cracks at playing big clubs away as well.

I'm sure the CPL, Central American, and Caribbean teams would like to go to a format like that. It's just MLS and Liga MX teams that complain about having to lower themselves to play other teams in the region. If they are worried about the strain on teams playing so many games, I'd be happy enough for them to eliminate the Leagues Cup to free up some time in the schedule.

Hi all,

Ross County fan here.

My team are rumoured to be signing William Akio, Victor Loturi, and Moses Dyer from your league.

Could do you tell me a bit about them and if they have the potential to play in the Scottish Premiership?

We've had a decent amount of Canadians over the years. Richard Hastings, Terry Dunfield, and Andre Hainault plus we currently have brothers Harry and Ben Paton in the squad.

Thanks 

5 hours ago, Staggie said:

Hi all,

Ross County fan here.

My team are rumoured to be signing William Akio, Victor Loturi, and Moses Dyer from your league.

Could do you tell me a bit about them and if they have the potential to play in the Scottish Premiership?

We've had a decent amount of Canadians over the years. Richard Hastings, Terry Dunfield, and Andre Hainault plus we currently have brothers Harry and Ben Paton in the squad.

Thanks 

Neither Dyer (New Zealand) nor Akio (South Sudanese) are Canadian but you could argue they're in Valour's top 3 or 4. Valour isn't necessarily in shambles but dire straights would be one way to put it, so im not sure how much you can take away from them being our top guys. Akio is a fantastic community leader and just found out he has a decent YouTube following: 

Perhaps you can glean something from his channel. He hasn't quite found his form this year...his finishing is just lacking a little imo. 

Edited by PegCityCam
Spelling

12 minutes ago, PegCityCam said:

Neither Dyer (New Zealand) nor Akio (South Sudanese) are Canadian but you could argue they're in Valour's top 3 or 4. Valour isn't necessarily in shambles but dire straights would be one way to put it, so im not sure how much you can take away from them being our top guys. Akio is a fantastic community leader and just found out he has a decent YouTube following: 

Perhaps you can glean something from his channel. He hasn't quite found his form this year...his finishing is just lacking a little imo. 

Akio and Loturi are brothers.  Born in Kenya in a South Sudan refugee camp, grew up in Canada.  No doubt about Akio's ability but consistency is still not there.  Had heard rumours of Loturi going to Scotland, but not the Valour pair.

5 hours ago, Staggie said:

Hi all,

Ross County fan here.

Thanks 

If it happened Akio and Dyer would be missed here.  No doubt about it.

Akio is right footed striker though he can play the left line comfortably enough.  No greyhound but more than pacy enough to be a bother.  Very good acceleration.  He'll do his part at both ends of the pitch but better to leave him to attacking.  Can recognize opportunities in real time and would rather the ball at his feet.  He'll run past a defender but is better with the ball close. No afraid to take rsponsibility.  Won't often see him overthinking/overplaying it.  He'll noggin' the odd goal in but that's the exception.  A charmer to be sure.  Just one of those good guys you're lucky enough to meet in your time on this planet.  

Could see him doing well in Scotland.  Bit of work, bit of an eye opener some nights, definately a step up but yeah, might be a fit.

Dyer is a striker at heart me-thinks, but attacking central mid is where he's playing currently.  Good head, so-so pace and happy to go on/lead a raid if the opportunity is there.  Can pass the ball into the net as easily as making a nusance of himself and reliably effective whatever the role on the night.  Also one of those down to earth workhorses who lead by example.  Can "take out the trash" as readily as curling in a right footer from top of the box.  Whateve it takes. 

Dyer is more puzzling.  Has to be in the right structure to be most effective, so I wonder.  But then, I guess that's true of a lot of players.  Right place at the right time sort of thing. 

Both men can be hot and cold.  It's worth saying that it sure stands out when they're on. 

18 hours ago, Staggie said:

Hi all,

Ross County fan here.

Thanks 

Having watched Loturi and Akio play live for a few years I can help with them.

Loturi is a central midfielder by trade, a technically proficient deep lying playmaker. Cavalry have a plethora of defensive minded central midfielders this year, but when everyone is healthy, Loturi has been at the top of the depth chart along with former Hamilton and ICT midfielder Charlie Trafford. IMO his strengths are his passing, technical ability and tackling. He's filled in at RB the last few games and has been incredible defensively getting seemingly every tackle correct, although he doesn't have the pace to be a modern fullback bombing up and down the wings. I wouldn't consider him strong, although he has bulked up significantly since signing as a 17 year old in 2019. Given the physicality of the Scottish Prem I am not sure how well his game would fit in vs somewhere like Holland or Belgium where a greater emphasis is put on technical ability, possession and passing ability.

Akio played as a #9 with Calgary Foothills while in University but has been more of a winger in University and CPL. IMO he's the opposite profile to Loturi, an absolute specimen physically with great pace, but not the best touch or technical abilities. One of the more lethal finishers in the league, but hasn't really had much opportunity in front of goal this year. IMO he'd be a better fit in the Scottish Prem given his profile and physicality. 

19 hours ago, Staggie said:

Hi all,

Ross County fan here.

Thanks 

@StaggieHow reliable is the source of these rumours?  I had heard Loturi being scouted by a Scottish team but nothing of the Valour pair.  Losing those two would be the end of a sad season for the Winnipeg team 😢

Edited by K Edgar

2 hours ago, K Edgar said:

@StaggieHow reliable is the source of these rumours?  I had heard Loturi being scouted by a Scottish team but nothing of the Valour pair.  Losing those two would be the end of a sad season for the Winnipeg team 😢

Many thanks for all of your replies. We are certainly in the market for younger players with potential. Malky Mackay the manager has talked a lot about getting younger players in on long term contracts with the hope of selling them on to the English market so I think some of these players might fit the bill. We had a player Reagan Charles-Cook who was hopeless but since Malky took charge he's developed him and ended up top scorer in the league last season so that's the model we're aiming for as we know they'll get great coaching.

To be honest, Loturi and Akio are the only ones we've heard rumours of. Moses Dyer, Akio, and his agent are following Ross County Twitter and Instagram accounts so I think that's how those ones became more public but there could just be a friend/brother connection there.

Screenshot_20220620-200959_Samsung Internet.jpg

57 minutes ago, Staggie said:

Many thanks for all of your replies. We are certainly in the market for younger players with potential. Malky Mackay the manager has talked a lot about getting younger players in on long term contracts with the hope of selling them on to the English market so I think some of these players might fit the bill. We had a player Reagan Charles-Cook who was hopeless but since Malky took charge he's developed him and ended up top scorer in the league last season so that's the model we're aiming for as we know they'll get great coaching.

To be honest, Loturi and Akio are the only ones we've heard rumours of. Moses Dyer, Akio, and his agent are following Ross County Twitter and Instagram accounts so I think that's how those ones became more public but there could just be a friend/brother connection there.

Screenshot_20220620-200959_Samsung Internet.jpg

Ben and Harry Paton, and now potentially Akio and Loturi. I'll have to keep an eye on you guys