CPL General

43 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Independent club model?

https://canpl.ca/article/aribim-pepple-to-luton-town-behind-the-scenes-of-a-cpl-transfer

...There are nine football operations departments in the CPL: One at each club, and one at the league. That latter group works with each team individually on recruiting and scouting international players, but it is also a vital cog when it comes to outgoing transfers.

That’s where a centralized CPL football department helps. Unlike managers such as Cavalry’s Tommy Wheeldon Jr. or York’s Martin Nash, Gage isn’t burdened by the daily grind of training a team and trying to win games as he works to recruit and sell players.

Gage and his department are free to focus on promoting CPL players to teams around the world, speaking to agents and recruitment staff to try and generate interest...

If you can't see how this is actually a good idea instead of trying to make a point... I don't know what to tell you.

4 years in and we're starting to really see the CPL vision come to fruition, especially in this transfer window. Give Canadian players that would have otherwise not had the opportunity a chance to play professionally, develop them, and have the most promising players transfer to bigger clubs.

From that viewpoint, the CPL has to be considered a resounding success so far, no? 

There was probably plenty of haggling to be done over percentages on sell-on clauses etc. Only slight potential downside for him over the career trajectory he has followed is that leaving TFC Academy before the age of 16 and signing his first pro contract with York United means he won't fit MLS's homegrown player rule for being a domestic player right across the league unless I am missing something about how those rules were drafted.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

39 minutes ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

There was probably plenty of haggling to be done over percentages on sell-on clauses etc. Only slight potential downside for him over the career trajectory he has followed is that leaving TFC Academy before the age of 16 and signing his first pro contract with York United means he won't fit MLS's homegrown player rule for being a domestic player right across the league unless I am missing something about how those rules were drafted.

That rule is a fucking joke anyway. 

Is there a single Canadian on an American MLS team benefitting from that rule?

14 minutes ago, RS said:

Ralph Priso, Jacen Russell-Rowe and Jacob Shaffelburg.

Can't immediately think of any others.

Not sure about JRR but even in the Priso trade TFC sent an International roster spot as part of deal.

Edited by narduch

36 minutes ago, narduch said:

My main point still stands that it's a stupid rule with little benefit

You're not wrong. On paper the rule seems ok but in practice when long-time MLS homegrowns like Crepeau and Henry are considered internationals it's obviously very flawed.

17 minutes ago, narduch said:

MLS team websites actually do show it.

Priso and Shaffelburg are listed as homegrowns (without "international" beside it) on the Colorado and Nashville websites, respectively.

I'm not sure how accurate that is given that Shaffelburg definitely doesn't fit the criteria to be considered domestic in the U.S. under the Homegrown rule, although he did spend a decent amount of time there during high school so maybe he's eligible through one of MLS' loopholes or via the American immigration system (ie. Green Card or something similar).

Priso should fit the criteria, from the way I understand it, but the trading of an INTL spot muddies the waters there.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Imagen

To date, with all the teams except Pacific and At Ottawa on track.

Pacific has 10 games left, they've played 64% of their season. So they are only 100 minutes behind.

At Ottawa has 11 games left, they've played 60% of the season, but have only played the u21s 45% of the required season total.

A good rule would be to require teams to fulfill a certain % by midseason, to force them to not treat the rule cynically, to plan for the U-21 minutes more diligently, and to ensure those young players are getting minutes over the course of the entire season, and not just being thrown in to save face towards the end.

14 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Ottawa will be in tough. Depending on how the cut-off is made, they don't have a whole lot of U21 options on their roster.

Valour will have crossed the line yesterday with the minutes from Rea and de Brienne.

AO ‘magic’ number is 100 per game. 

If they make Top Four of course. 

Can anyone confirm whether minutes count for any player who was under 21 at the beginning of the season (or some other arbitrary date)? Or do the minutes no longer count after their 21st birthday? I assume the former but it makes a big difference for some teams.

4 minutes ago, jonovision said:

Can anyone confirm whether minutes count for any player who was under 21 at the beginning of the season (or some other arbitrary date)? Or do the minutes no longer count after their 21st birthday? I assume the former but it makes a big difference for some teams.

Can’t confirm JV but, like yourself, I’d assume the former. 

Seems a bit harsh, no?  Certainly gives the requirement a seriousness, no doubt about it.

Would have thought a points deduction would have been enough of an incentive. Might produce the same result, losing a playoff position, but then again it might not.