CPL General

@Big_M: Thanks for this!  I am a huge fan of the Premier Podcast.  I just wish I knew French so I could listen to half of them, though I did listen to the Joe Belan interview.

Quebec needs to have a team in CPL, preferably at least two in the next couple of years.  This is easily the biggest untapped market for Canadian talent, though HFX, for one, at least seems to be figuring it out with some of their winter signings.  AS Blainville have been fun to watch during the last two Voyageur's Cups, I hope they can find a way to make it to the CPL.

Blainville would be competitive in the current cpl with the quality of their players and staff..and we''ve seen it with their cup performances..Macagno is the best Canadian coach in the nation..their president Pereira kept talking about finances when the cpl subject came up and repeated over and over thats the obstacle even for a d2..but their little stadium of 1500-2000 looked very nice when packed in V Cup and would be good for D2..maybe a couple investors could come in and make a partnership..I listened to a discussion of american lower league club operators on the subject of fan ownership and talking about the model of a fan+private ownership model..that could be interesting and we will probably see more of it as fans want some decision making but often the issue of lack of money comes up when you want to step to the pro level

Very interesting interview with Belan who talks about many subjects including a d2..at this point a d2 should sound more interesting for many investors as d1 would be very hard financially and even more so with this situation..but for Quebec its time to get a cpl 1 team asap

https://open.spotify.com/episode/4YfDz3hjRBi3M87H0i5iDg

Speculating, but you know...with the smash the country is taking financially (amongst other things) so far in 2020 I would think the CPL expansion fee has probably injested a lot of helium.  That is to say, gotten a hell of a lot lighter over the last few months.

No matter how bad things get there's always a silver lining.  That's the way I look at it.  It's a Winnipeg thing.   

Not just Quebec but all other regions are being looked at also well at least from what I've seen/read online: 

St John's

Moncton

Laval

Of course Quebec City

Kitchener/Waterloo area

Mississauga 

Regina

Saskatoon

Durham area

Niagara area

From a poster on Reddit r/CanadianPL who has demonstrated accurate insight in the past.

CPL exploring a tournament style restart to season in single location

The league is looking at putting all 8 teams in one place, to mitigate travel cost and exposure to COVID19.  Each club is making a strong pitch to host this event, with Winnipeg the logical front runner because of it’s geographic advantage, and only 33 active cases in the province.  Vancouver Island is another strong candidate because of relatively small case numbers.  This would be a closed door, made for TV event.  

Format and structure are being explored, with Canada Day the target for kick-off.  Afterwards, the league hopes to play a compressed balanced schedule in empty stadiums with some concerns over our case numbers in Ontario.

Professional sports teams allowed to open training facilities effective immediately (with restrictions in place) in Ontario.

Edited by Ivan
correction/clarification

IFAB institutes temporary amendment to allow five substitutes per game

The International Football Association Board has agreed to a temporary change to the Laws of the Game that allows five substitutions for leagues resuming play following the coronavirus pandemic.

The temporary amendment “comes into force with immediate effect,” for leagues that have started or intending to start with a scheduled completion before Dec. 31, 2020. Major League Soccer would fall under those parameters. There will still only be three substitution windows for those five changes to be made. Subs can also be made at halftime.

IFAB said the decision was made with players’ welfare in mind with the likelihood of matches “played in a condensed period in different weather conditions.”

The temporary amendment is at the discretion of each individual competition organizer, while IFAB and FIFA will determine at a later stage whether this temporary amendment would need to be extended further.

The substitution rule in soccer needs to change period especially with players that suffer head injuries. Three subs a game is a joke , it’s 2020 for heaven’s sake! This 5 subs a game should be a permanent thing . I would also give teams to allow of the 5 subs two subs can re-enter a game once subbed off . Is it just me or does soccer seem to be one of the few sports that we have seen players actually die on the field? It’s even happened in the EPL once or twice already . Can’t ever recall a player dying in an NHL game or an NBA game but  it’s happened a few times in top soccer  leagues around the world.

Edited by SoccMan

25 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The substitution rule in soccer needs to change period especially with players that suffer head injuries. Three subs a game is a joke , it’s 2020 for heaven’s sake! This 5 subs a game should be a permanent thing . I would also give teams to allow of the 5 subs two subs can re-enter a game once subbed off . Is it just me or does soccer seem to be one of the few sports that we have seen players actually die on the field? It’s even happened in the EPL once or twice already . Can’t ever recall a player dying in an NHL game or an NBA game but  it’s happened a few times in top soccer  leagues around the world.

5 substitutions will just result in even more time wasting. It will also make it possible for big teams to start a worse team against small teams and then if it goes to shit bring on their 5 best players and turn it around. The rule would only give advantages to big teams with lots of depth and hurt smaller teams who lack it. It should stay at 3 otherwise you might as well just go to rolling subs and fuck all the small teams over quicker.

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that one of these substitution windows will probably be in the first half and two in the second?  It would make sense if a player has to go off because of injury early, so a team isn't down to ten from, say, the 11th minute until the half.

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

He's so proud of his Canadian roots he has never bothered, with the time and money to do so, to even visit Nova Scotia. Not once. It is all typical self-aggrandizing Landon. He was a prat when he played, a good player who had a strong mentality for the game but a lousy character (and as soon as he was off the NT and out of the picture, you can calibrate the real worth of the guy). Even has the gall to say he has like thousands of interview requests but jumped at the Canadian one because we are so special to him. 

But really, never visit your father's home town, in all those years, the highest paid US pro? I don't buy it as I have never done with this guy.

8 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

From a poster on Reddit r/CanadianPL who has demonstrated accurate insight in the past.

CPL exploring a tournament style restart to season in single location

The league is looking at putting all 8 teams in one place, to mitigate travel cost and exposure to COVID19.  Each club is making a strong pitch to host this event, with Winnipeg the logical front runner because of it’s geographic advantage, and only 33 active cases in the province.  Vancouver Island is another strong candidate because of relatively small case numbers.  This would be a closed door, made for TV event.  

Format and structure are being explored, with Canada Day the target for kick-off.  Afterwards, the league hopes to play a compressed balanced schedule in empty stadiums with some concerns over our case numbers in Ontario.

They are discussing doing the entire lower league promotions in knock-off playoffs in Spain, and the rumour is that it would all be played at the stadium Canada played New Zealand, Pinatar. Sort of the same idea. You need a site  with quality, isolated training facilities, to not have to have training teams too close. Better in any place where the stadium and possible hotels are not in an urban core. I do not know which site in Canada best fulfills all that--what are the quality alternative fields in Winnipeg?

I have to say the idea of a Canadian Premier League never even crossed my mind especially if you were to ask me this question years ago. I would have said you were crazy but seeing how this league has been taking off, yeah sure it is more or less in its infancy. However, it is at least taking the proper steps in the right direction so that is something. However, for this Premier League, if you really want to see it take that next step into evolution then the only way that can happen is of course the FIFA World Cup itself. However, since the 2026 FIFA World Cup will be here in our backyard in Canada...the tournament itself could be used as a launching pad towards this Canadian Premier League (CanPL) not only evolving but more and more Canadian players not only wanting to stay here in Canada. But of course foreign based players from other countries perhaps even one day wanting to play in the Canadian Premier League.

Look at what USA 94 did for the USA as a country...it basically helped the MLS become what it is today. I'm just saying by us hosting in 2026 it could help make the CanPL one day into a juggernaut.

Am I right in thinking Ottawa still hasn’t shown their jerseys? I know we have no idea when games will start, but that would make me so anxious if I was an Ottawa fan waiting to get my hands on one.

5 hours ago, Trois Reds said:

I'm going out on a limb here and saying that one of these substitution windows will probably be in the first half and two in the second?  It would make sense if a player has to go off because of injury early, so a team isn't down to ten from, say, the 11th minute until the half.

I think they mean you can sub 5 players, but only up to 3 different times.  So you could put in 2 players twice and a 5th later, but you can't put on 5 players at 5 different times.  The time you do it would still be up to you.  And if you put in 3 players at 3 different times, then you just don't get to use the last 3 subs.  An attempt to prevent time wasting by substitution.