CPL General

This is really puzzling to me.  TSN who carries MLS will barely even mention CPL.  But Onesoccer seems to have plenty of MLS centered guests.  BEZ, Manning, Cobi Jones, Demerit, Lalas, Donavon etc etc some of which dont have anything to do with the CDN clubs.  I get that Wheeler is a TFC guy, and he is struggling to produce filler, but GEESH.

Plus with these videos on youtube we can see the numbers of viewers. The vast majority of these videos are getting 3 digit figures for views. They are still trying to attract an audience anyway they can.

On 5/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, The Real Marc said:

TSN isnt “playing politics” when the demand is in the hundreds. They’re just running a business. They’ll cover it when Enough viewers give them a reason to

No one can argue with that because that is just the reality of the situation 

7 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

No one can argue with that because that is just the reality of the situation 

On 5/27/2020 at 4:16 PM, The Real Marc said:

TSN isnt “playing politics” when the demand is in the hundreds. They’re just running a business. They’ll cover it when Enough viewers give them a reason to

I disagree. Soccer is the most participated sport in Canada and by many metrics in the under 30 demo the most popular sport. Starting a brand new league is pretty amazing and doesn't happen much. XFL got more coverage on tsn and that had zero interest and folded almost immediately. Isn't even Canadian. If your point is it doesn't have much interest how do you explain not covering the launch or first game? You dont know the interest yet? It's like putting on your jacket and then taking it off before leaving the house because you said it got dirty outside. It comes down to a simple thing. TSN only pushes properties they've invested in. They're half owned by the same people who own MLSE and the other half is ESPN an American company. Its simple dont try and argue it. The CPL deals with it and moves forward

Edited by SpursFlu

The only thing all say about this is that being that the CPL has only just completed it’s very first season I think both  of the sports networks are taking a wait and see attitude towards it. However , yes this doesn’t explain why then TSN was showing the XFL and that’s even stranger showing the XFL when they have a big contract with the CFL. Also keep in mind Canada has two domestic pro basketball leagues and both these leagues are not televised on any of the two sports networks, moreover, just like the CPL I’ve hardly ever seen any type of highlights of both basketball leagues on either of the two networks. One can argue that basketball is just or more popular than soccer in Canada after witnessing how the whole country got behind the Raptors during their championship run, with TV numbers that I’ve never seen for any type of soccer including, woman’s World Cup, men’s World Cup or any other type of soccer competition.

Edited by SoccMan

17 minutes ago, SoccMan said:

The only thing all say about this is that being that the CPL has only just completed it’s very first season I think both  of the sports networks are taking a wait and see attitude towards it. However , yes this doesn’t explain why then TSN was showing the XFL and that’s even stranger showing the XFL when they have a big contract with the CFL. Also keep in mind Canada has two domestic pro basketball leagues and both these leagues are not televised on any of the two sports networks, moreover, just like the CPL I’ve hardly ever seen any type of highlights of both basketball leagues on either of the two networks. One can argue that basketball is just or more popular than soccer in Canada after witnessing how the whole country got behind the Raptors during their championship run, with TV numbers that I’ve never seen for any type of soccer including, woman’s World Cup, men’s World Cup or any other type of soccer competition.

TSN is partially owned by ESPN and they carry a lot of ESPN programming.

Sportsnet doesnt let its EPL and now Bundasliga coverage/contract etc stop it from showing CPL or MLS highlights.  I didnt see the mention of CPL on the ticker, but did the TSN weekly soccer show (mainly focused on David) have any mention of CPL firing up?? They talked about Davies and Germans soccer, which is basically an advert for Sportsnet coverage.    I cant see how talking about CPL for 5min or having it on their would effect their MLS ratings.  Its just puzzling.  

6 minutes ago, Bison44 said:

Sportsnet doesnt let its EPL and now Bundasliga coverage/contract etc stop it from showing CPL or MLS highlights.  I didnt see the mention of CPL on the ticker, but did the TSN weekly soccer show (mainly focused on David) have any mention of CPL firing up?? They talked about Davies and Germans soccer, which is basically an advert for Sportsnet coverage.    I cant see how talking about CPL for 5min or having it on their would effect their MLS ratings.  Its just puzzling.  

They have Canadian soccer rights so pumping up Davies plays in to that property. So in this case we benefit 

3 minutes ago, SpursFlu said:

Wait and see = wait and hopefully it goes away. If it happens to survive swimming upstream, we'll begrudgingly get on board

I don’t think any execs at any network are hoping the CPL goes away. Why would they? It’s not in competition with anything they’re producing because the CPL as a broadcast product is not even in its infancy yet.

And why would they begrudgingly get on board? Broadcast decisions are based on ability to make money so if they get on board they’ve obviously determined they can make money.

6 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

I don’t think any execs at any network are hoping the CPL goes away. Why would they? It’s not in competition with anything they’re producing because the CPL as a broadcast product is not even in its infancy yet.

And why would they begrudgingly get on board? Broadcast decisions are based on ability to make money so if they get on board they’ve obviously determined they can make money.

Because MLSE doesn't like people eating their market share. Why wouldn't they want it to go away. All the way in Vancouver the media tries to convince us to cheer on the Raptors and Blue Jays. Why wouldn't they think people in Ottawa, Hamilton, Winnipeg focus their attention and money on TFC

On 5/27/2020 at 7:16 PM, The Real Marc said:

By that logic, what was TSN's reason not to cover or make any mention of the opening game that was viewed by 17,000 plus people in the stadium and thousands more on CBC? It's naive to think with 100% certainty that politics isn't playing a part. I'm not saying it absolutely is but it definitely could be and probably is considering the indirect evidence just outlined.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

If your point is it doesn't have much interest how do you explain not covering the launch or first game? You dont know the interest yet? It's like putting on your jacket and then taking it off before leaving the house because you said it got dirty outside. It comes down to a simple thing. TSN only pushes properties they've invested in. They're half owned by the same people who own MLSE and the other half is ESPN an American company. Its simple dont try and argue it. The CPL deals with it and moves forward

That's an easy explanation. It's a upstart minor league in what is a niche spectator sport in this country (we're not talking kiddy soccer here, TSN doesn't care about those participation rates!)

If you have limited TV space and ad selling ability, you don't risk it on something that a) you don't know the interest and b) you know is going to be minimal.

Did big media cover the first game of our national basketball league a few years back?

There is no argument about why TSN doesn't cover it when it draws flies for free on youtube. TSN will show it once it makes them money on ad sales.