CPL General

On 4/28/2020 at 9:51 AM, Big_M said:

Dont forget this is Canadian Soccer News and not The Voyageurs..so probably The Voyageurs cannot be held accountable for what happens on this forum..and I believe it was one of the reasons for the move..so the question is who is the owner or director of CSN

delete

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

8 minutes ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

The forum was always the heart and soul of the Voyageurs.  The forum was the Voyageurs.  It's where every decision concerning the group and it's activities were made.  The membership always knew what was happening and all were welcome to participate.

So let's see if I understand this correctly:  The Voyageurs no longer have a forum.  They are simply a registered non-profit group with a single Director ?  

So what you are saying is the Voyageurs forum, was simply moved over here and renamed.

Jeffrey is making more sense:    "It is their pet board, and we are hear to feed their numbers, or so they think. This is the deal that was made when we migrated here. We are their cannon fodder. So their essays of sporting wisdom with 16 readers  each,  take priority over the entire history of the Voyageur forum and decades of using it to drive Canadian soccer knowledge and support."

Who oversees the Director ?  Who oversees the accounting ?  How is input made ?  Who is in charge of the Voyageurs  ?  The Director, CSN,  or some other shadowy  individual/group ?

If we have no control over our forum, then we have no control over the Voyageurs.  

I guess you missed a part when it was moved here

Correct on the 1st bolded part

No one is above the Director, he is in charge of The Voyageurs

Now since this forum is CSN whoever is at the top of CSN could make final calls on the forum 

I believe the Director was concerned about possible lawsuits with comments made on the Voyageurs forum and also about the cost of running that site so decided to move it here. So officially this is not Voyageurs forum but CSN

I love the fact that SpursFlu was obviously being sarcastic to the max in support of some of you guys on the thread, and that some of those same guys were so sensitive to any attacks that they didn't even pick up on the sarcasm at all until he had to specifically tell yall. Haha, this thread perfectly encapsulates why so many people left this forum to go to the V's Discord or FB group. RS the one making the most sense here as usual. You guys should read his posts more carefully, good stuff as always, respect to what you do here and off this forum.

My quick two cents: a ban does sound way too harsh for Lofty. Mods should post a quick explanation. Maybe it's an accumulation of things, who knows. No, the term Chinese virus isn't explicitly racist if you're simply trying to label it based on its origin, but if you are still using this term today, you probably may have implicit racist beliefs that you don't want to admit or tell us about it. Nobody knows except you yourself unless you tell us you are, but it's not the worst guess that you may harbour some of those beliefs, you let us know if you want to.

We all know the Spanish flu and German measles are misnomers, since they don't reflect the country of origin of the virus, don't lie that you didn't know that, or if you didn't, go read up. I'm personally fine with Wuhan virus, since it accurately reflects the origin of the virus, but the term "Chinese virus" is far too broad to have any meaning whatsoever. Imagine a coronavirus that originated in a market in Vancouver's Downtown Eastside, and people like Trump and Xi pounced on it to label it the "Canadian virus", instead of the "Vancouver virus" or "COVID-20". I'd bet the majority of you in this thread would be in your social media of choice bashing Trump or Xi or any American or any non-Canadian using the term "Canadian virus" to correctly point out just how stupidly broad that term would be, when we all know what a craphole East Hastings is and has been.

China has the population of Canada 40 to 50 times over, 40 or 50 Canada's. It's just stupidly broad to use the term "Chinese virus" for a virus that originated in a specific market in a specific city in a nation of 1.3 billion people. Unless you're one of those funny people believing all those conspiracy theories about the origins of the virus itself as well.

On 4/28/2020 at 1:20 PM, Big_M said:

I guess you missed a part when it was moved here

Correct on the 1st bolded part

No one is above the Director, he is in charge of The Voyageurs

Now since this forum is CSN whoever is at the top of CSN could make final calls on the forum 

I believe the Director was concerned about possible lawsuits with comments made on the Voyageurs forum and also about the cost of running that site so decided to move it here. So officially this is not Voyageurs forum but CSN

delete

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

13 minutes ago, Aird25 said:

Is there anywhere that people still talk about soccer?

Why tho, there ain't that much soccer being played at the moment cuz of the big bad govt you know ;)

V's FB group and Discord's pretty good btw, CPL reddit too. But I did think the union discussion was quite interesting and relevant. My two cents on that is that I wasn't persuaded by any arguments against a union in this thread at all. We are talking about billionaire owners vs. minimum wage players. I mean, thank you for the league and all that, we love you owners, but I think the owners can ride this pandemic out far easier than the players can, with their rent and car payments and etc.

To me, if any of us were a CPL player, we would 100% want a union to help us guide us through the worst economic recession, which will be made official in about 6 months from Statistics Canada, since very likely the Great Depression. If any of us were a CPL owner, I think we would be far more worried about the finances of our primary companies that made us billions and about average attendance for our respective clubs in 2019 than a hundred thousand dollars here and there with respect to players' salaries and etc that the union wanted to discuss, obtain information, and negotiate upon. As they rightfully should.

Only 2 teams have billionaire owners and of the other 6 one 1 is community owned and of the other 5 3-5 of them dont have a big primary business..without even talking about how bad their businesses are hit currently..so half of more are worried about the money to spend and should be..its just not as simple as saying hey they are billionaires its all good

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

To me, if any of us were a CPL player, we would 100% want a union to help us guide us through the worst economic recession, which will be made official in about 6 months from Statistics Canada, since very likely the Great Depression. If any of us were a CPL owner, I think we would be far more worried about the finances of our primary companies that made us billions and about average attendance for our respective clubs in 2019 than a hundred thousand dollars here and there with respect to players' salaries and etc that the union wanted to discuss, obtain information, and negotiate upon. As they rightfully should.

Or guide them through a very bad health crisis.  A union would help make sure there is a standard of safety for all teams, and let the players have a voice in that implementation of any plans to start the season.  

2 hours ago, ironcub14 said:

...To me, if any of us were a CPL player, we would 100% want a union to help us guide us through the worst economic recession, ...

There's little a union can do to help during a pandemic. This was already being organized long before anybody in Wuhan had an unfortunate bowl of bat soup. It's all about going after significantly higher salaries by threatening strike action as part of a future collective bargaining negotiation. 

5 hours ago, Winnipeg Fury said:

For all intent and purpose, the Voyageurs are dead.

We can still use the name, sell scarves etc........but the Voyageurs as we knew it as a group, are dead.

No, the Voyageurs are most certainly not dead. Just because the forum isn’t the lifeblood of the group like it was 10 years ago, doesn’t mean that the spirit of the group and what it’s trying to accomplish are gone. Message boards are a dead medium, so it’s only natural that the V’s don’t lean as heavily on one as they did in the group’s formative years. 

With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely, because I have a ton of respect for the leadership role you took on back when the V’s were in their formative years, with the Cup etc.), your take on this is wrong. 

I agree that we need to know what happened to Lofty’s account, as it was an unprecedented action, but I don’t think it means as much as you seem to be implying in here.

The Voyageurs are bigger, stronger and more diverse than ever. That’s not going to change because a single message board account was deleted.

23 minutes ago, RS said:

No, the Voyageurs are most certainly not dead. Just because the forum isn’t the lifeblood of the group like it was 10 years ago, doesn’t mean that the spirit of the group and what it’s trying to accomplish are gone. Message boards are a dead medium, so it’s only natural that the V’s don’t lean as heavily on one as they did in the group’s formative years. 

With all due respect (and I mean that sincerely, because I have a ton of respect for the leadership role you took on back when the V’s were in their formative years, with the Cup etc.), your take on this is wrong. 

I agree that we need to know what happened to Lofty’s account, as it was an unprecedented action, but I don’t think it means as much as you seem to be implying in here.

The Voyageurs are bigger, stronger and more diverse than ever. That’s not going to change because a single message board account was deleted.

This goes far beyond Lofty's account.

My 'take on this is wrong.'  Says who ?  The invisible Voyageurs clique ?   There is ZERO transparency.  It's a complete joke.  How could my take on this be wrong when I have not voted on anything and know nothing.  We can't even get an answer on who the moderators are.

We have a Director of the Voyageurs who answers to whom ?  

Of course the forum isn't the life blood of the V's, ....it was taken from us.  Message boards are a 'dead medium', ....then what is the medium for the Voyageurs ?  Who decided we should have our voice cut off, with nothing left to replace it ?  The invisible V group that answers to nobody  ?

EVERYTHING used to be transparent.  Now nothing.  EVERYTHING used to be voted on, now nothing.

Do we have financial statements ?  Tell me, who are the people running the Voyageurs ?  Did I vote on them  ?  Who oversees the Director ?  Who are the moderators ?

Sounds more like some small invisible clique calling themselves the Voyageurs, making decisions, without any democratic input or accountability.  

Big Brother, telling us everything is 'bigger and better.'  Just move along and don't ask any questions.

I have no idea who else has moderator access in here. I do, but use it sparingly - last time was when I closed the ridiculous York 9 2020 thread that had devolved into a political shitshow. Prior to that I don’t recall ever doing any moderation on here (aside from fixing some thread titles) as I don’t really care for the role. It was given to me when I used to post articles on here years ago.

That said, I’m trying to find out what happened to Lofty. I suspect he either deleted himself or a mod accidentally wiped his account when trying to deal with his unsavoury post from the other day.

If this message board is a dead medium then facebook is even more dead..barely anything posted or discussed there..and saying lets get an invite to ppl for v's discord..thats the medium, needing an invitation to be on..lol give me a break..here is much more interesting to post and discuss as everyone can see and post..dont need a facebook account or an invite

13 hours ago, gator said:

You might want to read my post again, did I say you are incapable of being racist or are there no racists in West London? Whatever fits your narrative because you were obviously annoyed by him, maybe while your digging up articles you can find me one that names another club in Britain which has named its stadium after a person of colour! Cheers!

You are correct, that is not what you said.  But I also incorrectly assumed that is what you meant when you said "I don't think  there are many people supporting QPR and having lived in that part of London that are racist!"  Apologies.

2 hours ago, RS said:

I have to echo that. 

To be clear, this isn't meant to devalue the importance of the various social media platforms out there, their importance to us cannot be over-stated.  I just think we have to recognize that the Vs interact over a greater variety of theatres than we once did and have been doing so for years now really.  People will gravity to the where they feel most comfortable with and that's fine, more than fine, just so long as we're still finding connection.

I also think it doesn't hurt to reconginze that it's a very small group of individual liasons that do too much, and we need for them to continue doing more than their share in bringing our fractured community together for our common purpose.  It is the thankless dedication of the volunteers who have kept this experiment going longer than I expect anyone could have imagined. 

Allez les Rouges.

P.S.  I want my football!

1 hour ago, CanadianSoccerFan said:

Over to you Mr Clanachan

Think CanPL is going to be a waaay harder sales job if it comes to government aid. 

Of course, wouldn't hurt to try with Canada co-hosting of the WC Finals on the horizon.  Especially if there's going to be assistance for the MLS franchises.  Just saying. 

P.S.  Not suggesting there is going to be assistance for MLS, but if there was that would strengthen an argument for CanPL receiving aid. 

Edited by Cheeta

On 4/28/2020 at 8:43 PM, Big_M said:

If this message board is a dead medium then facebook is even more dead..barely anything posted or discussed there..and saying lets get an invite to ppl for v's discord..thats the medium, needing an invitation to be on..lol give me a break..here is much more interesting to post and discuss as everyone can see and post..dont need a facebook account or an invite

delete

Edited by Winnipeg Fury

22 hours ago, Big_M said:

Dont forget this is Canadian Soccer News and not The Voyageurs..so probably The Voyageurs cannot be held accountable for what happens on this forum..and I believe it was one of the reasons for the move..so the question is who is the owner or director of CSN

A very good question.

Can we get an answer as to who is the owner/director of CSN ?

Reappearing for a moment here.

Took me about 2 seconds to lift Lofty's ban. Seriously. Mod control panel, Member management, search "Lofty" and remove ban. No clue why those "looking into it" didn't just fix the issue.

Not sure why he was banned, but I keep getting emails from here with reports and shit so I clicked into this bitchfest and was genuinely confused, as yeah, a straight-out ban seems weird as shit in an essentially unmoderated board.

As there is no way to delete your own account, I have repeatedly asked to have my account deleted or at least have my modship removed, because cancer (which they won't treat during the pandemic) is likely to kill within the next 6 months or so, and I don't have time or patience to deal with the shit here.

@RS I noted you mention that you've mod capabilities. Can you please just click on my damn profile and click "ban as spammer"? That'll make it so I no longer receive emailed reports.

That'd be appreciated thanks.

Edited by Rintaran
typo

Thank you @Rintaran and very best wishes in your ongoing battle.

A few points:

1. I did not accidentally delete myself! I was banned. When I tried to login I saw a page that just said BANNED in big black letters.

2. I did not receive any communication prior to being banned. I have still not received any communication on why I was banned. In other words, I still don't know who banned me or why.

3. On the BANNED page there was a "contact us" link. When I first saw that I was banned, I clicked on this link and sent a polite message asking why I had been banned. To date I have received no reply.

4. Thank you to those who posted their support above, particularly the accurate comments regarding the term that people are speculating was the cause of my ban. It is appreciated.