CPL General

1 hour ago, The Real Marc said:

That's an easy explanation. It's a upstart minor league in what is a niche spectator sport in this country (we're not talking kiddy soccer here, TSN doesn't care about those participation rates!)

If you have limited TV space and ad selling ability, you don't risk it on something that a) you don't know the interest and b) you know is going to be minimal.

Did big media cover the first game of our national basketball league a few years back?

I don't think anybody is talking about extensive highlights. What's TSN's excuse for not even doing a 10 second blurb on the league opener? Like what they do when a Canadian athlete participates in alpine skying championships in Austria, or when they show Rugby highlights. Again, 17,000 fans showing up in a stadium for a league's debut where even the prime minister tweeted on it would get more interest than the aforementioned things.

Edited by Macksam

6 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

They have Canadian soccer rights so pumping up Davies plays in to that property. So in this case we benefit 

Which Canadian soccer rights? Everything belongs to OneSoccer now.

Your correct but I believe TSN has fifa and I think based on them jumping on the Davies train. I'm pretty confident you will see them buy the rights to show world cup qualifying from Onesoccer

But technically yes your right, I stand corrected

3 hours ago, Watchmen said:

For those using the XFL on TSN as a comparable, the XFL was buying it's airtime in the US.  I can't imagine TSN was paying them anything for it.

Mediapro may have been doing that with the CanPL games on CBC last year. The big win for CanPL in the Onesoccer deal is that somebody else is picking up all or most of the tab for that sort of thing along with the production costs.

11 hours ago, gigi riva said:

People complaining about the Soccer coverge here in Canada  Once Canada start's sshowing signs of improvement and and winning then you will see the TSN's and Sportsnet starting to pay attention

Nobody is complaining about soccer coverage here in Canada. We're talking about a broadcaster's glaring non-coverage of a very specific event for a league. 

5 minutes ago, Macksam said:

Nobody is complaining about soccer coverage here in Canada. We're talking about a broadcaster's glaring non-coverage of a very specific event for a league. 

Not just that one event, look at TSN now, both sportsnet and CBC have had stories about CPL firing up in PEI, BC etc...I cant find anything on TSN.  Thats not news??  

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

So that's: each team plays every other once. Take that table and the top four, and play a round robin, three games in total. Then take the two best teams of those four, and they play a final. 11 games.

I would take the bottom four and have them do a round robin as well, to decide 5th to 8th, like in FIBA basketball tournaments, other world championships. The idea is to play the game. Also, fans would watch their teams. Also: teams need games to gel, new players fit in, new coaches to work out things. Also, players would appreciate the play. Also: your field turf could handle it. Plus, it allows you to decide things like golden boot and best keeper for those 10 games all teams play.

Having all teams play at least 10 means you all at least play over 35% of the league, instead of some playing only 25%.

9 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

...Having all teams play at least 10 means you all at least play over 35% of the league, instead of some playing only 25%.

But not so much drama for a reality TV show? My query would be whether the stage 1 winner carries something forward in points terms to stage 2? Guess the rumoured 5% salary "trim" for a performance bonus means there is a shift in salary from players on teams that exit at stage 1 to those on teams that qualify for it.

2 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

But not so much drama for a reality TV show? My query would be whether the stage 1 winner carries something forward in points terms to stage 2? Guess the rumoured 5% salary "trim" for a performance bonus means there is a shift in salary from players on teams that exit at stage 1 to those on teams that qualify for it.

In any case, nowhere in the history of the game has a performance bonus been worked into a contract as a reduction in pay, "unless".

It is always over and above the signed contract, always. No idiot would sign a contract if you had a discount on your contract for bad performance. The only exception I have ever heard of is where a player gets a clause saying his contract will be continued in case of relegation but the club has the right to lower it by a certain %, which is now fairly standard, all multi-year contracts build in a relegation provision. as relegation has a direct affect on revenue.

It is very screwed up thinking and malicious for them to construe it otherwise, as a further pay cut, and then have people discussing how it fits in so nicely with the reality tv mode (where all bonues are fictional regardless). Assinine. 

The players have almost zero leverage, because the league isn't a viable business yet. Tread gently was an understatement according to PB. The question that Kurt Larson the league's hired gun/shill poses at the end of this tweet is a gentle way of saying they can either take it or leave it.

If the federal government is subsidizing salaries it's not as generous as he spins it. An obvious question for the media to direct at CanPL HQ would be whether there is any word yet on whether this 25% "trim" in the cap and front office salaries is temporary for 2020 only or also applies to 2021 and beyond in a never let a serious crisis go to waste sort of way? Players on multiyear deals will soon know the score on that.

5 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

The players have almost zero leverage, because the league isn't a viable business yet. Tread gently was an understatement according to PB. The question that Kurt Larson the league's hired gun/shill poses at the end of this tweet is a gentle way of saying they can either take it or leave it.

If the federal government is subsidizing salaries it's not as generous as he spins it. An obvious question for the media to direct at CanPL HQ would be whether there is any word yet on whether this 25% "trim" in the cap and front office salaries is temporary for 2020 only or also applies to 2021 and beyond in a never let a serious crisis go to waste sort of way? Players on multiyear deals will soon know the score on that.

First, the players have all the leverage they want. They've already used it, and it is already levering. I love it when they argue someone has no power, then a little pressure is applied and someone starts screaming about it being too much. 

Next, part of that power to leverage comes from having signed contracts, which are legally binding. As if a legally binding document was not applicable for employees for a new company because it was just starting out.

Three, but of course, let's give a lot of credit to those clubs that kept signing even into the confinement period, who were basically taking on such obligations willingly while it became clear the season would not go ahead as planned. That was good faith, and I am sure players must recognise it. Just as those just about to sign who have yet to are left out, and realise it would have been better to be in than out. 

Finally, Kurt Larson. I don't think he's a shill because he's designated as such, he does not represent the league, or even Mediapro, he's simply a character in the cast. He played out his little rants with certain success last year, but he is really third rate in all respects. As is that Oliver Platt, what a dud. As Mediapro evolves I am pretty sure that part of their team will also mutate for the better.

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

....Three, but of course, let's give a lot of credit to those clubs that kept signing even into the confinement period, who were basically taking on such obligations willingly while it became clear the season would not go ahead as planned....

Do we know at least some of those weren't delayed announcements of contracts that had already been signed pre-lockdown? CanPL tends to space out announcements like that.

Having said that it would be interesting to know if today's Ryan Telfer signing was enabled to happen by the Emilio Estevez transfer. Think there is supposed to be a mechanism that allows transfer fee money to be spent in that sort of way over and above the cap. That would be a case of Y9 pushing the boat out a bit under the current circumstances.

Beyond that it's more Gareth Wheeler and Nigel Reed that get on my nerves than Larson and Platt. At least the latter two clearly do know the game inside out even if there's still always room for an upgrade down the road. The forced  Borges is gorgeous type stuff from Wheeler was painful to listen to last season and Nigel R lives off having a posh English accent that appears to impress Canadian sports execs who probably aren't knowledgeable enough to gauge his soccer IQ level.