CPL General

2 hours ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Because of the legal structure of the club they have to publish FS.

Sure I figured such. Interesting to see

Decent revenue considering Valour had, no voyageur run, no playoffs, no concacaf league, and a pretty poor season overall 

Edited by SpursFlu

I think it's not a trickle of talent I think we'll see an explosion of Canadian talent. It might include women but Canada has the 6th most registered soccer players on the planet. I believe us to be a pretty athletic lot. So if you now finally mix in professional soccer I think we won't need much international talent to raise the level of play in CPL. I think we'll do it organically 

Edited by SpursFlu

13 minutes ago, Club Linesman said:

CPL is to raise the level of Canadian soccer, not other countries.  Strict limit on foreign players to ensure only skilled players are signed from abroad and eventually increase the Canadian content as development permits.

Yeah but at the same time International players are going to want to play here especially if they see that the level of play in the CPL is something they want to be a part of but with international players and Canadian domestic players the league makes even more money

On 5/14/2020 at 9:19 PM, Ansem said:

Posting this here

Anyone saying the league won't be viable?

Those are some decent numbers. Like Duane mentions, a sale here and there and it has the potential to go in the black. Not bad for a first year. I'm guessing Valour has one of the better, possibly even best, financials in the CPL but still, you can see the potential. 

Edited by Macksam

1 hour ago, TGAA_Star said:

I wonder if VAR will end up being introduced into the CanPL at some point?

When bad calls in the CPL are displayed on all sporting stations across the country (potentially the world), are trending at the top of twitter with celebrities even commenting on it, and are the number one talking point among sporting pundits and the general Canadian sports fan, sure. Until this is the norm, no need for VAR because not a lot of people care and the CPL isn't prestigious enough for it to even matter. Obviously the prestige and popularity go hand in hand.  

Edited by Macksam

The way it's implemented right now, VAR sucks.  The only leagues I've seen it done properly has been the German and Australian leagues, who come to a decision without replay sometimes (they actually talk to the VAR official), and when they do look at a screen, they're looking and making a decision within a minute.  Seriously, if VAR has to be used, do it quickly and add the time at game's end.  I've seen multiple sessions in different leagues where a goal that was scored is waved off after 4-5 minutes of staring at two angles and they then add two minutes of extra time.  If it's not obvious in 30 seconds, keep your decision, continue the game.

There were some pretty, uh, strange calls and non-calls by some of the refs in the CPL last year, and I think adding VAR would make things worse at the moment. 

Speaking of referees, did anyone else notice that most of our good CPL referees last year were the women?  They seemed to command more respect (and make fewer "what was that?" type calls). 

Edited by Trois Reds

VAR in England sucks because they use it for too much. In other leagues you'll watch an entire game and not even realize VAR is being used. Shouldn't be used in judgement calls. I don't need to go from one person's judgment to the next person's judgement. Life isn't perfect and life isn't fair, just get on with it. It's only a soccer game

Edited by SpursFlu

37 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

The way it's implemented right now, VAR sucks.  The only leagues I've seen it done properly has been the German and Australian leagues, who come to a decision without replay sometimes (they actually talk to the VAR official), and when they do look at a screen, they're looking and making a decision within a minute.  Seriously, if VAR has to be used, do it quickly and add the time at game's end.  I've seen multiple sessions in different leagues where a goal that was scored is waved off after 4-5 minutes of staring at two angles and they then add two minutes of extra time.  If it's not obvious in 30 seconds, keep your decision, continue the game.

There were some pretty, uh, strange calls and non-calls by some of the refs in the CPL last year, and I think adding VAR would make things worse at the moment. 

Speaking of referees, did anyone else notice that most of our good CPL referees last year were the women?  They seemed to command more respect (and make fewer "what was that?" type calls). 

I guess you bring up an interesting point but VAR in the Canadian game will be introduced. Give it time. Give it like 3 to 5 years. I mean in Major League Soccer they already have it so what is to stop it from being introduced into the CPL?

But as far as female referees, I think that's a first

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

Speaking of forum contributors. Has anyone else noticed that you've never seen Robert, Trois Red and TGAA_Star in the same place at the same time?

But as far as contributors, I think that's a first

They are not the same person.

3 hours ago, SpursFlu said:

VAR in England sucks because they use it for too much. In other leagues you'll watch an entire game and not even realize VAR is being used. Shouldn't be used in judgement calls. I don't need to go from one person's judgment to the next person's judgement. Life isn't perfect and life isn't fair, just get on with it. It's only a soccer game

Totally. In MLS they say it's for "clear and obvious errors" but that's not the way it's working out in implementation.

Makes me think that maybe you have 3 VAR refs who simultaneously and independently look at all the angles. They have some kind of time limit like 60 seconds. Then they must make a vote : yes, no, or not sure. They only interrupt the ref -- and the game -- if they are unanimous in their decision. Their unanimous decision overrides the on-field ref. He doesn't get a look, or input, or a say in it.  This might be a way to enforce "clear and obvious" or avoid going from one judgement to another as SpursFlu said.