CPL General

10 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's so proud of his Canadian roots he has never bothered, with the time and money to do so, to even visit Nova Scotia. Not once. It is all typical self-aggrandizing Landon. He was a prat when he played, a good player who had a strong mentality for the game but a lousy character (and as soon as he was off the NT and out of the picture, you can calibrate the real worth of the guy). Even has the gall to say he has like thousands of interview requests but jumped at the Canadian one because we are so special to him. 

But really, never visit your father's home town, in all those years, the highest paid US pro? I don't buy it as I have never done with this guy.

He was quite vocal about not wanting Canadian teams in MLS with the phrase "mooching off us" being used AFAIR. This is probably about preparing the ground for a possible future application to be the coach of Halifax Wanderers once he is no longer flavour of the month in San Diego.

14 hours ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

Am I the only person in Canada who was NOT surprised about how good the level was on the pitch?  Sometimes I feel like it.  I've seen some impressive talent from my years spent living in the GTA, and was pretty surprised at the time by how good some of the players were when I visited Calgary and watched the local men's league in 2016.  Maybe having watched the Australian league for the last ten years gave me a comparison, but I knew we had the talent to start at least on their level.  My biggest on-field concern when CPL started was the coaching, and I'm not really worried about that any more.

Hearing all the pundits and Canadian soccer personalities who mentioned how surprised they were at the level of play makes me think a lot of them weren't watching anything outside of MLS/USL/Big 5 Euro leagues.  Heck,  go to a college/university game and you can see it.

Edited by Trois Reds

Well none of us well critics who criticized the CanPL expected it to be as big as it is in terms of the level of competition. I know I sure as hell didn't but it appears that not only are the games competitive but also just the overall level of play after 1 season has surprised me.

On 5/8/2020 at 3:38 PM, Unnamed Trialist said:

He's so proud of his Canadian roots he has never bothered, with the time and money to do so, to even visit Nova Scotia. Not once. It is all typical self-aggrandizing Landon. He was a prat when he played, a good player who had a strong mentality for the game but a lousy character (and as soon as he was off the NT and out of the picture, you can calibrate the real worth of the guy). Even has the gall to say he has like thousands of interview requests but jumped at the Canadian one because we are so special to him. 

But really, never visit your father's home town, in all those years, the highest paid US pro? I don't buy it as I have never done with this guy.

That's a bit harsh. Comments on his playing aside, he did say a lot of the family had moved south so may have not had relatives to visit. Also, his dad and mom went their separate ways when Landon was quite young so visiting him would be hard enough, let alone his Dad Tim's home town, which Tim left when he was a young man. His dad is an alright guy. Spoke to him several times back in the early 2000's. Proud of his son and liked to say that Landon played soccer like a hockey player. 

Edited by Ed_S
added context

14 hours ago, Ed_S said:

That's a bit harsh. Comments on his playing aside, he did say a lot of the family had moved south so may have not had relatives to visit. Also, his dad and mom went their separate ways when Landon was quite young so visiting him would be hard enough, let alone his Dad Tim's home town, which Tim left when he was a young man. His dad is an alright guy. Spoke to him several times back in the early 2000's. Proud of his son and liked to say that Landon played soccer like a hockey player. 

I'm sure you have a more accurate take than I do. I did not like him as a rival player, and didn't like his character, I think he's false. 

Of course in this case there is no problem with him playing for the US, the problem is what seems to be hypocrisy, it all comes out now that he's in marginalised retirement.

On 5/9/2020 at 5:57 PM, Trois Reds said:

Am I the only person in Canada who was NOT surprised about how good the level was on the pitch?  Sometimes I feel like it.  I've seen some impressive talent from my years spent living in the GTA, and was pretty surprised at the time by how good some of the players were when I visited Calgary and watched the local men's league in 2016.  Maybe having watched the Australian league for the last ten years gave me a comparison, but I knew we had the talent to start at least on their level.  My biggest on-field concern when CPL started was the coaching, and I'm not really worried about that any more.

Hearing all the pundits and Canadian soccer personalities who mentioned how surprised they were at the level of play makes me think a lot of them weren't watching anything outside of MLS/USL/Big 5 Euro leagues.  Heck,  go to a college/university game and you can see it.

This. I wasn't surprised so much as validated. You don't even have to go that far, university I mean. I played Tier 1, ROPSAA, Which is the top level for high school in Peel region, which includes Sauga and talent rich Brampton and you could see the talent at display in that competition. This was 15 years ago mind you, but it can only have improved since then. 

5 hours ago, Macksam said:

This. I wasn't surprised so much as validated. You don't even have to go that far, university I mean. I played Tier 1, ROPSAA, Which is the top level for high school in Peel region, which includes Sauga and talent rich Brampton and you could see the talent at display in that competition. This was 15 years ago mind you, but it can only have improved since then. 

But people well pundits are mostly surprised but mainly because they didn't expect Canadian soccer to come this far especially to the point of CanPL even being what it has become but just the level of play in that league

14 hours ago, Macksam said:

I actually played in ROPSAA for a certain Brampton school that made OFSAA finals four years straight nearly 30 years ago for one year. I swear at least 5 or 6 players just from my school could have made the CPL easily if it was around. Two actually made the CMNT.  I played right bench during most games, but I enjoyed watching how good everyone around me was.  There were some good players throughout Peel even then.

Edited by Trois Reds

39 minutes ago, Trois Reds said:

I actually played in ROPSAA for a certain Brampton school that made OFSAA finals four years straight nearly 30 years ago for one year. I swear at least 5 or 6 players just from my school could have made the CPL easily if it was around. Two actually made the CMNT.  I played right bench during most games, but I enjoyed watching how good everyone around me was.  There were some good players throughout Peel even then.

St Augustine was a powerhouse back when I played. 

Edited by Macksam

16 hours ago, Macksam said:

Ya always had trouble winning against those Peel Region schools ,when I  coached high school soccer  a few years  back. But it’s not surprising that these Peel Region high schools have so many good players , Peel Region has so many kids  growing up playing soccer at some decent youth soccer clubs and academies that these Peel Region high schools have so much ready made talent to pick from.

Edited by SoccMan

8 hours ago, TGAA_Star said:

A top division club in Europe...let's see there's clubs in England, Germany, Italy, France, Spain, Netherlands, Portugal

His definition of major European country may be different from yours. Amer Didic to somewhere they know how to pronounce his name correctly is the first possibility that crosses my mind given he is known to want to move on and the recent CMNT call up would help raise his profile. Croatia could easily be called major after the world cup final appearance, for example.

Edited by Ozzie_the_parrot

1 hour ago, Ozzie_the_parrot said:

His definition of major European country may be different from yours. Amer Didic to somewhere they know how to pronounce his name correctly is the first possibility that crosses my mind given he is known to want to move on and the recent CMNT call up would help raise his profile. Croatia could easily be called major after the world cup final appearance, for example.

Well that's true