CPL General

7 hours ago, matty said:

come on you know sea to sea derby is cringe. (not the idea of the rivalry just that name would be)

Actually, as an east coaster, I don't mind it at all.  And the reality is that until Moncton joins the league (or the Charlottetown AnneOfGreenGablesPotatoLobsters), Halifax won't have an organic derby within the region.  And we generally have no big gripes with any region - we are too friendly for that (plus wherever you are - we go there for work...).

So why not a coastal rivalry?  Not going to pretend it is some hateful history, but a friendly competition amongst mariners  is fine by me. 

6 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

Actually, as an east coaster, I don't mind it at all.  And the reality is that until Moncton joins the league (or the Charlottetown AnneOfGreenGablesPotatoLobsters), Halifax won't have an organic derby within the region.  And we generally have no big gripes with any region - we are too friendly for that (plus wherever you are - we go there for work...).

So why not a coastal rivalry?  Not going to pretend it is some hateful history, but a friendly competition amongst mariners  is fine by me. 

Like I said I have no issue with the idea of this as a rivalry, I'm just saying if it was called "The Sea to Sea Derby" it would be fairly corny. I know Best Coast is trademarked, but I would hope they'd use a term better than "derby".

The only thing I would say about this as a rivalry is that it's almost too easy in a way to create.

Edited by matty

13 hours ago, KW519 said:

I view the 905 derby as an imaginary derby the league is pushing upon us to try to create hype around the game.

Oh no! Heaven forbid the league, "try to create hype" of any kind.

Sweet merciful heaven, spare us the degenerate lewdness of marketing to casuals, I may faint!

13 hours ago, gator said:

I suppose you're not going to like the "Sea to Sea Derby" when Halifax and Pacific play??

Hey, we (the fans) are already planning to use the #sea2sea hastag for the game! :P

13 minutes ago, ted said:

Oh no! Heaven forbid the league, "try to create hype" of any kind.

Sweet merciful heaven, spare us the degenerate lewdness of marketing to casuals, I may faint!

Hey, we (the fans) are already planning to use the #sea2sea hastag for the game! :P

So you think it's a good idea for the league to force a derby on us that's fine. What's with the petty religious sarcasm? Get to the point if you've got one, you're a grown ass man 

45 minutes ago, KW519 said:

So you think it's a good idea for the league to force a derby on us that's fine. What's with the petty religious sarcasm? Get to the point if you've got one, you're a grown ass man 

How is the meeting of the two closest teams in the league NOT a derby?!?!

My point is to mock the absurdity of your point using language appropriate to a mythical past where fine ladies would swoon when they were offended. If it's not clear, I am saying you are a delicate Victorian lady in this metaphor.

2 minutes ago, ted said:

How is the meeting of the two closest teams in the league NOT a derby?!?!

My point is to mock the absurdity of your point using language appropriate to a mythical past where fine ladies would swoon when they were offended. If it's not clear, I am saying you are a delicate Victorian lady in this metaphor.

So my statement was absurd in your eyes, which made you use language from some mythical past, but i'm the offended victorian lady? It's not clear to me, and at this point it's completely off topic. Private message me if you wanna continue trying to take shots at me

23 minutes ago, Chad_Impact said:

Can't say I'm a fan of the league trying to force rivalries either, let alone name them. It took forever to get the media to stop referring to Montreal-Toronto as the 401 derby and change it to the Canadian classic/Classique Canadien. (still not fully gone)

Who's forcing a rivalry of the only two teams in Ontario? This game was always going to be a derby as was Edmonton/Calgary. If there are ever two teams in Quebec that will also be one. Any teams in Canada where fans driving to an away is reasonable will be considered derbies in the North American context.

And for the record: the moment it was confirmed that there would be a team here and in Halifax, we (the fans) started thinking of it as a #sea2sea derby because it's hilarious for the fact that "away" support will be rare and pretty magnificent in it's likely small numbers (if at all).

Edited by ted

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

The league is forcing the derby on you? Use whatever verbiage you want. They’re just trying to sell the match. 

It’s not forcing a rivalry.  One is going to develop anyways, they’re just helping it along.

Calgary/Edmonton , Toronto/Hamilton and Winnipeg / Saskatchewan  and Toronto/ Montreal are always going to be rivalry games.  It’s just sports culture in Canada.

It’s very smart marketing for York9 to promote 1,000+ of its supporters to travel to Hamilton and vise versa.  This is part of building a brand and league identity.

4 hours ago, dsqpr said:

Much better than the permanent "star" thing IMHO. You win the league and the next season you wear this badge of honour on your shirts. Nice.

I don't think many clubs outside the States use a permanent star for a single league championship. A badge like this is probably more common for the current title holders. As far as I know stars are usually reserved for major trophies or significant achievements like 10 league titles. Everyone does it differently though

1 hour ago, C2SKI said:

I don't think many clubs outside the States use a permanent star for a single league championship. A badge like this is probably more common for the current title holders. As far as I know stars are usually reserved for major trophies or significant achievements like 10 league titles. Everyone does it differently though

Known as the Scudetto in Italy. I'm not sure any other major European country does it, though.