CPL General

3 hours ago, matty said:

@Unnamed Trialist would be against someone like Tottenham owning a team? Also just curious what if an American MLS owner or Liga MX owner wanted to own a CPL team?

I tried to carefully phrase what I said: I reject direct or majority ownership from a Canadian MLS team. If it were participating, minority, having an interest, that would be just fine and I'd have no problem at all. 

No US MLS team could possibly be threatened by a CPL team, not even imagining a hypothetical Windsor CPL and Detroit MLS. So in that regard, in terms of risk, I find no problem. It is probably unlikely. As for American owners, why not, I have no problem nor see any since they'd be accepting the CPL terms. 

As for a foreign team: I'd accept it. It is not really the model in the old European system, but it does pertain to the new model Manchester City is pushing. It is their way of growing their business model, since otherwise they lag behind the other 8-10 top European teams in terms of fan base, merchandising, and need another edge. So Spurs, indeed. 

What we really need is for a club like mine, Barça, to come in as the league sponsor, paying to have its name on the league (I mean like Belgium is Jupiler League, or Spain's 2nd division is 1-2-3, which is a Banco Santander product). That would be a real first: a club sponsors an entire league and then, as part of that, contributes to setting up a skeleton academy structure for each club using their know-how. I thought of this last summer in fact, wish I had some better business skills.

1 hour ago, KW519 said:

Why is york vs forge being called a derby? Hamilton is a good hour and 3 regions away from York. Almost as bad the 401"derby" between 2 clubs 6 hours away from eachother

Some of the London Derbies in England are an hour apart or very close to it!

32 minutes ago, gator said:

Some of the London Derbies in England are an hour apart or very close to it!

Still within London though correct? From my understanding a "derby" is of clubs from the same city or region. United Liverpool isn't even called a derby and it's one of the biggest rivalries in football. They're less than a hour away from each other too. Just not into these fabricated rivalries/derbies in North America ...I would rather the rivalries form organically from history between clubs and not some guy on socia media telling people "x" club is our rival, and we're calling the match "y" without ever kicking a ball. 

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

Why is york vs forge being called a derby? Hamilton is a good hour and 3 regions away from York. Almost as bad the 401"derby" between 2 clubs 6 hours away from eachother

A "derby" is more about your closest rival than the actual distance.

Forest vs. Derby (ironically!) is called a derby even though they are different cities. Southampton vs. Portsmouth is another good example.

Forge vs. York 9 is a legit "derby".

Edited by dsqpr

41 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

A "derby" is more about your closest rival than the actual distance.

Forest vs. Derby (ironically!) is called a derby even though they are different cities. Southampton vs. Portsmouth is another good example.

Forge vs. York 9 is a legit "derby".

That's fair. Both cities in the rivalries are located beside eachother though right? I would assume there's a lot of sport and cultural history behind them as well.

Hamilton and York Region don't share too much history, and have never played a match against eachother. Why are they considered rivals? I'd think York 9's closest rival would be TFC for obvious reasons. 

I view the 905 derby as an imaginary derby the league is pushing upon us to try to create hype around the game.

11 minutes ago, KW519 said:

That's fair. Both cities in the rivalries are located beside eachother though right? I would assume there's a lot of sport and cultural history behind them as well.

Hamilton and York Region don't share too much history, and have never played a match against eachother. Why are they considered rivals? I'd think York 9's closest rival would be TFC for obvious reasons. 

I view the 905 derby as an imaginary derby the league is pushing upon us to try to create hype around the game.

It is a legit derby this year. If CPL starts a team in "Toronto" of course that would become York's "derby". There is no way of telling how things will unfold but with York taking 1500+ fans to Forge on April 27th I'm thinking the start of a rivalry is definitely there. I mean, whomever wins that game is going to be gloating: the league will only ever have one opening match!

Does anybody think the CFL Bomber/Roughrider rivalry is not real just because of the 6 hour drive? It is real!

17 minutes ago, KW519 said:

I suppose you're not going to like the "Sea to Sea Derby" when Halifax and Pacific play??

4 hours ago, grande said:

I do not understand why the same league that hated "fake European" names like "City FC" or "City United" is embracing something as equally fake European as "Al Classico".  It's as dumb as Sporting Kansas or Real Salt Lake.

9 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

It is a legit derby this year. If CPL starts a team in "Toronto" of course that would become York's "derby". There is no way of telling how things will unfold but with York taking 1500+ fans to Forge on April 27th I'm thinking the start of a rivalry is definitely there. I mean, whomever wins that game is going to be gloating: the league will only ever have one opening match!

Does anybody think the CFL Bomber/Roughrider rivalry is not real just because of the 6 hour drive? It is real!

The start of a rivalry could certainly be there with the travelling support and bragging rights up for grabs. Forge will likely bring big numbers and pack the away section at Alumni too.The league should leave it at that and let things develop naturally. 

31 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

We complain when the CSA do no marketing, we complain when the CPL do lots of marketing, we are a tough crowd!

i actually don't get why people complain that the csa doesn't market. if the mnt is playing a game in toronto there's subway ads, ads in the star, sun, and now, and loads of full colour posters around downtown in the weeks leading up to the game.

aside from not tweeting recently, wnt is pretty well promoted usually.

i have no idea about the vancouver story atm or how montreal was in 2017

Edited by matty

27 minutes ago, matty said:

i actually don't get why people complain that the csa doesn't market. if the mnt is playing a game in toronto there's subway ads, ads in the star, sun, and now, and loads of full colour posters around downtown in the weeks leading up to the game.

aside from not tweeting recently, wnt is pretty well promoted usually.

i have no idea about the vancouver story atm or how montreal was in 2017

That is good to hear matty. Sounds as though they are upping their game. The proof of the pudding is of course in the attendance numbers.

50 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I do not understand why the same league that hated "fake European" names like "City FC" or "City United" is embracing something as equally fake European as "Al Classico".  It's as dumb as Sporting Kansas or Real Salt Lake.

The Al Classico was a joke brought up by supporters years ago that has caught fire in the local community. Lots of people find it humorous and ultimately it was a supporter driven and naturally grown name. It’s not something some marketing intern made up cause they thaught they were being clever. It is just a lame funny pun that took off.  

56 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

I think it is quite clever. It is obviously a pun so the similarity to the original is inevitable.

Kudos to whomever thought of it!

59 minutes ago, Watchmen said:

Except it's not the same at all... Al Classico is clearly intended to be satire.  Calling a team Real Salt Lake is just douchey because it's not ironic, it's just a plain rip off.  

2 hours ago, dyslexic nam said:

Yeah, I don't know if ManUnited and Liverpool is considered a derby, but it has all the hate of one.  

Rivalry, yes, derby, no.

Ever since Liverpool were the dominant team in England in the 70s and 80s and Alex Ferguson joined Man Utd and said he was going to knock Liverpool off their f'ing perch...and did.

Edited by dsqpr

2 minutes ago, Keegan said:

Except it's not the same at all... Al Classico is clearly intended to be satire.  Calling a team Real Salt Lake is just douchey because it's not ironic, it's just a plain rip off.  

you forgot to mention stupid as fuck when you consider what "Real" means and why non-Salt Lake teams bare the name

1 hour ago, dsqpr said:

We complain when the CSA do no marketing, we complain when the CPL do lots of marketing, we are a tough crowd!

That’s because this is all part of the delusion of the “Everything would be perfect if they’d just listen to me” crowd. Nothing is ever the right approach because it didn’t come directly from my mouth. 

32 minutes ago, rob.notenboom said:

That’s because this is all part of the delusion of the “Everything would be perfect if they’d just listen to me” crowd. Nothing is ever the right approach because it didn’t come directly from my mouth. 

come on you know sea to sea derby is cringe. (not the idea of the rivalry just that name would be)

Edited by matty
misremembered our motto which i thought translated to "coast to coast" in english