CPL General

11 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

I don’t care what you think about politics. And I certainly don’t have to discuss my leanings with you. You aren’t God to make the sort of pronouncements you do, as if you can speak with any kind of authority about what I think. You have no idea who I am, what I do, or what I believe. You are constantly spouting off like a child, and for a guy who likes to preen around like an academic or an intellectual, it’s pretty unbecoming. With aggressive and leperous posts like yours, it’s no reason some people avoid these boards. 

I am really puzzled .... I have no clue who unnamed trialist or most anyone on this board is.. but why this vitriol at people responding, when it was someone else who first accused Barcelona of being fascist? 

I have said my piece, let's get back to talking about the league. I just don't get this board sometimes.

26 minutes ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

According to Tommy on the Two Solitudes, Cavalry are at 1500+ season tickets right now. Still good, but thought they'd be higher at this point.

I am really curious what the numbers are for York.

Is that 1500 season ticket holders, or 1500 seats? 

Even if its only 1500 seats it’s not horrible, but 1500 holders could be 3k or more. 

3 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You are right. I only talked about politics in the context of explaining who the owner of MediaPRO is, it was neither gratuitous, preachy or overly technical. His politics make up a lot of who he is, and defines his character and way of doing business. That is possibly relevant to the CPL contract. And Macksam started spouting idiocies about "fascism".

It is also all common knowledge for those of us who have followed Roures or know him (my wife just told me today she has been in meetings with him, and observed how he was a very unassuming guy, poorly dressed, badly kept, and very straight-shooting). I personally like the mentality in part and dislike it too, it can sort of go either way, he is not really a fully stable businessman I wouldn't say, he is in an aggressive building mode, like Richard Branson 30 years ago. 

Bro, I just wanted to make you smile and laugh. Had I known it would have derailed this thread and ruined your day in particular, I would have refrained. Perhaps one day I will explain my reasoning for why I said what I said but....not today.

Edited by Macksam

39 minutes ago, matty said:

guys i've said it before and i'll say it again, the political stuff (among other stuff) on these forums is gonna come back and bite this group in the ass with soccer finally going full on mainstream in canada. let the shit get buried and don't dig it up

Here here. Politics really doesn’t belong here. 

Yes in general I this group swings to conclusion very quickly as snippets of information is released.  The roller coaster is frustrating some time.

With most non player movement changes I think it’s a good idea (and I’ve been guilty of course) of not jumping to conclusions because information tends to dribble out. 

24 hour rule is not a bad idea

Well sure, people are jumping to conclusions.  But I think some of that is on the league.  They're incredibly vague about a lot of things at times.  Salary cap? "Seven figures! (if you include the coaches)".  Schedule? "Here you go! (for the opener...now check back in 7-10 days)"  Broadcaster? "It's Jaw-Dropping!" Great! Where can I watch and how much is it worth? "It's Jaw-Dropping!"

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

Well sure, people are jumping to conclusions.  But I think some of that is on the league.  They're incredibly vague about a lot of things at times.  Salary cap? "Seven figures! (if you include the coaches)".  Schedule? "Here you go! (for the opener...now check back in 7-10 days)"  Broadcaster? "It's Jaw-Dropping!" Great! Where can I watch and how much is it worth? "It's Jaw-Dropping!"

Are we going to be watching football in a professional Canadian league in the spring, for the first time in 30 years?

I get where you are coming from and I largely agree with you but this is the main point for me.

12 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Are we going to be watching football in a professional Canadian league in the spring, for the first time in 30 years?

I get where you are coming from and I largely agree with you but this is the main point for me.

Sure, I get that.  I understand the excitement, and that not everything is going to be perfect and it doesn't matter because markets that haven't had soccer in forever are suddenly going to again.  I just think that it's also ok to ask questions from the league, because given how soccer has been run in this country for so long "just trust us" isn't really an acceptable answer either.

2 hours ago, Watchmen said:

.... Salary cap? "Seven figures! (if you include the coaches)". ...

Operating budget north of $1 million is how they muddied the waters on that one. Only just over two months until we are finally into the realm of reality rather than aspiration and some people should finally come down out of the stratosphere where CanPL is concerned. What will be interesting to watch unfold on the Mediapro deal to gauge the shape of things to come is how the initial set of three games are handled in broadcasting terms. Will it be the mainstream cable broadcasting spectacular of a filled THF contrasting with a less than capacity BMO Field for TFC vs the Timbers that many visualized on here when the Forge vs York 9 game was announced, or will they be using it as a way to push subscriptions for the webstream channel app that Mediapro is developing for them?

20 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Operating budget north of $1 million is how they muddied the waters on that one. Only just over two months until we are finally into the realm of reality rather than aspiration and some people should finally come down out of the stratosphere where CanPL is concerned.

What I saw was an operating budget of $1.1m to $1.5m. Sorry but I can't remember the source. Of course player wages would be included in this, along with all other operating costs.

As a fan I have no problem with these numbers. It makes good sense to start conservatively in year one and see how the support shakes out, then push on from there.

If I am in the stratosphere it is because we are finally getting a professional league; it has nothing to do with the CPL finances.

You would think the operating budget is somewhere in the range of $50m per year for all clubs together, given the $500m comments. Albeit likely weighted lower in the early years. My guess is $5m per club.

MediaPro is covering say 30-40% of this toward TV production. I assume there is some municipal investment on some of the stadium upgrades. It would be interesting to see what type of sponsorship money they'll be able to put together, but I would think another $200m over 10 years is possible. Paul Barber got $4m a year USD in 2011 from Bell for the shirt sponsor for the Caps as a reference point. I'd like to think you could see shirt-sponsors in the $1m-$2m range, plus general sponsorship to get you there.

It's pretty easy to start seeing this as a profitable enterprise if 70%+ of the costs are covered before gate revenue.

Edited by youllneverwalkalone
spelling

6 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

You would think the operating budget is somewhere in the range of $50m per year for all clubs together, given the $500m comments. Albeit likely weighted lower in the early years. My guess is $5m per club.

MediaPro is covering say 30-40% of this toward TV production. I assume there is some municipal investment on some of the stadium upgrades. It would be interesting to see what type of sponsorship money they'll be able to put together, but I would think another $200m over 10 years is possible. Paul Barber got $4m a year USD in 2011 from Bell for the shirt sponsor for the Caps as a reference point. I'd like you could see shirt-sponsors in the $1m-$2m range, plus general sponsorship to get you there.

It's pretty easy to start seeing this as a profitable enterprise if 70%+ of the costs are covered before gate revenue.

The MediaPro has me worried that the league is going to be taking a massive hit on ad money. Essentially MediaPro appears to control have everything the would be related to broadcasting including ads which would hint CPL isn't making any cash off of deals MediaPro makes. If that's true, I don't think the league will be profitable for a few years if live numbers are only around 4.5-5k, even with kit deals and stadium ads.

Edited by matty

Just now, matty said:

The MediaPro has me worried that the league is going to be taking a massive hit on ad money. Essentially MediaPro appears to control have everything the would be related to broadcasting including ads which would hint CPL isn't making any cash off of deals MediaPro makes. If that's true, I don't think the league will be profitable for a few years if live numbers are only around 4.5-5k.

First, we don't know there isn't a revenue share. But, second, if not they still get a good product on TV that will legitimize the league and lead to other revenue streams. At very least, it's one massive cost they don't need to worry about.

10 minutes ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

First, we don't know there isn't a revenue share. But, second, if not they still get a good product on TV that will legitimize the league and lead to other revenue streams. At very least, it's one massive cost they don't need to worry about.

The second point is true but there's no guarantee of that and it's limited to localized deals rather than larger sized ones. Like a deal with someone like Sky or ESPN or even TSN to broadcast might not be an option for the league at all while a deal with say Poweraid to have it on benches is. Production value also doesn't always = new revenue or profitable, like shit the OG XFL was groundbreaking with its production.

I think the trade was worth it but I do think it might see the league making less than it could have in a few years.

56 minutes ago, matty said:

The MediaPro has me worried that the league is going to be taking a massive hit on ad money. Essentially MediaPro appears to control have everything the would be related to broadcasting including ads which would hint CPL isn't making any cash off of deals MediaPro makes. If that's true, I don't think the league will be profitable for a few years if live numbers are only around 4.5-5k, even with kit deals and stadium ads.

Are you serious? How is the CPL is getting nothing out of the deal?

FFS a few months ago we were discussing how the league might have to pay for broadcasts and and now somehow you imagine that a $200M deal is a bad thing?!!?

2 hours ago, matty said:

huh? massive hit on ad money? in what sense?