CPL General

Just for a day, I wish I still worked on the Score app. I could apply some pressure, not that they really listened to me anyways.

Fantastic news though about the league getting it's own spot on the website. I instantly went in and clicked on every link. Will have to make it a regular site to check.

15 minutes ago, Alex D said:

I miss the score and I enjoy how their app has lived on like a cockroach in a nuclear blast. 

I still think The Footy Show with Sharman, KJ, Budgie and Paul James was one of the best dedicated soccer shows we have had in this country.  

I guess it was one of the only dedicated soccer shows we have had in this country, but I stand by my assertion.

2 minutes ago, dyslexic nam said:

I still think The Footy Show with Sharman, KJ, Budgie and Paul James was one of the best dedicated soccer shows we have had in this country.  

I guess it was one of the only dedicated soccer shows we have had in this country, but I stand by my assertion.

Does anyone remember that show that was hosted by Brendan Dunlop, I think probably on SportsnetWorld, probably shortly after Sportsnet bought The Score. It was a daily show, and I think maybe even an hour long? It was good enough (but I might just be remembering that it was a show I had to support as a soccer fan), but the branding was weird because it was for SportsnetWorld and FoxSportsWorld at the same time. So it was something like "FoxSportsWorld Soccer report on SportsnetWorld".

Someone mentioned Kara Lang as a commentator recently in the TV thread. I think she got her start on that show, and she definitely showed jitters early on. It was a bit painful to watch.

I probably got everything in this post horribly wrong.

2 hours ago, Kent said:

Does anyone remember that show that was hosted by Brendan Dunlop, I think probably on SportsnetWorld, probably shortly after Sportsnet bought The Score. It was a daily show, and I think maybe even an hour long? It was good enough (but I might just be remembering that it was a show I had to support as a soccer fan), but the branding was weird because it was for SportsnetWorld and FoxSportsWorld at the same time. So it was something like "FoxSportsWorld Soccer report on SportsnetWorld".

Someone mentioned Kara Lang as a commentator recently in the TV thread. I think she got her start on that show, and she definitely showed jitters early on. It was a bit painful to watch.

I probably got everything in this post horribly wrong.

I remember that! Yeah, she was pretty nervous in front of the camera back then. 

18 hours ago, Ansem said:

Both Twitter and email (on the app, click on your profile, then settings, then "Request a League")

Submitted my request through the app after having to sign up for an account. Got a response this morning saying there is no plan to add CPL but the request will be forwarded to the product development team. 

The assumption being made is that none of the seats are being held back from season ticket sales on the Ticketmaster system. Time will tell, if that's valid. The one thing I find a bit eye catching in an if it seems too good to be true it probably is sort of way is that 190 out of 380 looks a little too neat and tidy for a split between sold and unsold at the highest price tag in the "Officer's Club". This analysis does show however that a few fans paying a lot can make relatively small crowds viable overall and that may be the method in their apparent madness.

22 minutes ago, KW519 said:

I think it's cool, unfortunately this is Canada where people are softer than baby shit. People in liberty village-Toronto are still crying about TFC fans being drunk and loud on the street before and after matches, as if they're entitled or something. I doubt anything like this goes over well

i mean we do complain about people complaining so you're pretty much right

51 minutes ago, matty said:

i mean we do complain about people complaining so you're pretty much right

That's one of my favourite complaints (complaining about someone complaining ?). ?

Edited by dsqpr

thought: the cpl has to be the first professional league ever where it's first national team call up and first season ending injury to a high profile player have happened more than a month prior to the league's first ever game

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

I mean all that's left is the jerseys and how to watch from home.

Well, also the small matter of the big kick off, 28 matches per team, VCup matches against MLS franchises currently located in Canadian cities, and CL qualification and matches!

Let the games begin!

11 minutes ago, dsqpr said:

Well, also the small matter of the big kick off, 28 matches per team, VCup matches against MLS franchises currently located in Canadian cities, and CL qualification and matches!

Let the games begin!

I was talking about pre-launch though.

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

while i get the tweet is trying to play up the importance of a media deals and how they help rising sports (like women's soccer), it's also kind of insulting to the league which has existed in one form or another since 1988 (it's in its 8th year under it's current name and format, not 5th).

Edited by matty