CPL General

1 hour ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

I still laugh at Barça fans who honestly believe that Pique is better known than Shakira, the cultural ignorance is amazing.

I think Pique is better known than Shaqiri, other than in Liverpool and Switzerland. :)

20 minutes ago, RickC said:

I think Pique is better known than Shaqiri, other than in Liverpool and Switzerland. :)

Sheesh. She had a dozen worldwide hits before he was out of grade school. Even now she has almost three times more Twitter followers, when she is from the pre-Twitter era and has been professionally rather dormant for a few years.

Being a football fan should not automatically make you into a dumbshit, there has to be more to it. Like, you really love football, then have a serious iodine deficiency in your diet, and this goes on for a long time, and you end up with goiter and are affected by cretinism. That would be a legitimate excuse. Just liking football should not be enough.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

2 hours ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You have never visited Barcelona, obviously.

Barça is not even more important or significant than Gaudí, imho, who is just one single architect. 

I still laugh at Barça fans who honestly believe that Pique is better known than Shakira, the cultural ignorance is amazing.

i've been to barcelona and i think there is a possibility that in the internet age that knowledge of and the imagery of barca is better known globally than the city itself. there are people in doha, hong kong, and belfast who know more about the accomplishments of messi and pep than they do about gaudi and have never seen a photo of the sagrada familia.

that's why i used the eminem comparison, it's something that sounds weird and stupid but there's a weirdly strong possibility that one is a bigger deal than it's home town/genre.

Edited by matty

13 minutes ago, matty said:

i've been to barcelona and i think there is a possibility that in the internet age that knowledge of and the imagery of barca is better known globally than the city itself. there are people in doha, hong kong, and belfast who know more about the accomplishments of messi and pep than they do about gaudi and have never seen a photo of the sagrada familia.

that's why i used the eminem comparison, it's something that sounds weird and stupid but there's a weirdly strong possibility that one is a bigger deal than it's home town/genre.

Yes, but a lot of people in the world really do not give a flying fuck about football. There are hundreds of other great sports, and people who prefer to play rather than watch, and rivals who hate the team in question. 

A person who goes to Barcelona, or London, or Milan, and is not interested in football: that is normal. But someone who visits these cities and could care less about Gaudí, or Westminister, or the Last Supper: basically this person is an idiot.

Edit: I am talking about myself, in part. I have never seen the Last Supper, but I suppose one day, when I go back to Milan, I will.

1 minute ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Yes, but a lot of people in the world really do not give a flying fuck about football. There are hundreds of other great sports, and people who prefer to play rather than watch, and rivals who hate the team in question. 

A person who goes to Barcelona, or London, or Milan, and is not interested in football: that is normal. But someone who visits these cities and could care less about Gaudí, or Westminister, or the Last Supper: basically this person is an idiot.

Oh I 100% agree if you visit Barcelona and skip all the cultural landmarks in favour of just visiting the Camp Nou there is something wrong with you and yes there are people who do not give a fuck but I think it's possible that over the last decade the number of people who think of Messi when they hear "Barcelona" has surpassed those who think of the actual city, as dumb as that sounds, because of the massive push of the Barca brand and the success they've seen.

BTW just to be clear I'm in no way saying Barca and Real Madrid are bigger than Spain. Spanish art in the 20th Century alone dismisses that notion.

5 minutes ago, matty said:

Oh I 100% agree if you visit Barcelona and skip all the cultural landmarks in favour of just visiting the Camp Nou there is something wrong with you and yes there are people who do not give a fuck but I think it's possible that over the last decade the number of people who think of Messi when they hear "Barcelona" has surpassed those who think of the actual city, as dumb as that sounds, because of the massive push of the Barca brand and the success they've seen.

BTW just to be clear I'm in no way saying Barca and Real Madrid are bigger than Spain. Spanish art in the 20th Century alone dismisses that notion.

Look, here I am a person in the arts, teaching university level in art and design schools, curating and writing about both, who regularly does exactly what I am criticising: spending all day more focussed on football than on culture. But I think I am a bit screwed in the head.

34 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

Sheesh. She had a dozen worldwide hits before he was out of grade school. Even now she has almost three times more Twitter followers, when she is from the pre-Twitter era and has been professionally rather dormant for a few years.

Being a football fan should not automatically make you into a dumbshit, there has to be more to it. Like, you really love football, then have a serious iodine deficiency in your diet, and this goes on for a long time, and you end up with goiter and are affected by cretinism. That would be a legitimate excuse. Just liking football should not be enough.

Take a look up and see the joke flying right on past you.*

*this is not to be taken as an endorsement of the quality of said joke. :P

3 hours ago, SthMelbRed said:

Take a look up and see the joke flying right on past you.*

*this is not to be taken as an endorsement of the quality of said joke. :P

I'm just too much of pain to have to deal with jokes I don't get, I'm just obstinate that way, so sorry. I was being lazy, and I read that 3 times.

I tell my son only I am allowed to be funny at home.

On 3/19/2019 at 11:11 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

Look, here I am a person in the arts, teaching university level in art and design schools, curating and writing about both, who regularly does exactly what I am criticising: spending all day more focussed on football than on culture. But I think I am a bit screwed in the head.

curating is a pain in the ass isn't it? do it myself for video works

3 hours ago, matty said:

curating is a pain in the ass isn't it? do it myself for video works

I spent this afternoon working on a catalogue for the Venice Bienale, this time as a translator, while following the ticker on FCB Women's quarter final Champions League match, and at the half reading  articles on whether we should buy Jovic to replace Suárez. That pretty well sums my life up. 

2 hours ago, KW519 said:

Since when is caring about food security soft? You can stfu too if you think there's anything funny or soft about it. 

Perhaps I should have included the post that triggered your soft sensibilities. 

@admin Another poster in the York9 thread made a rather clever jab about a potential Venezuelan player being enticed by having three hot meals a day and this snow flake here got his panties in a twist and started mentioning kids in Manitoba and other things that had nothing to do with the clever aforementioned bant.

Pointing out the irony was too good to pass up. 

Joking about people not having regular access to something as basic and necessary as food isn't funny. It's sick.

The fact that someone has to point that out to you is possibly even more sick. 

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, I'm sure there are other places on the internet where that kind of talk is welcome. But I really don't think you've found your audience here, buddy. 

13 minutes ago, m-g-williams said:

Joking about people not having regular access to something as basic and necessary as food isn't funny. It's sick.

If you want to go down that rabbit hole, I'm sure there are other places on the internet where that kind of talk is welcome. But I really don't think you've found your audience here, buddy. 

Comedy tends to border on a dark fine line of truth. There was nothing sick about admiring the cleverness in @Winnipeg Fury‘s post and getting bemused by KW519’s over reaction.

Most comedy is based on the misfortune of others. And when we laugh we certainly appreciate that "there but for the grace of God go I".

Trying to virtue signal by getting all sanctimonious about what was a throw away quip is ridiculous.

2 hours ago, Macksam said:

Comedy tends to border on a dark fine line of truth. There was nothing sick about admiring the cleverness in @Winnipeg Fury‘s post and getting bemused by KW519’s over reaction.

it's not much of an overreaction in the context, it's pretty tame (i've done more annoying shit on here). plus making this point a month after the first post and several days after the later is just antagonistic for no reason.

Edited by matty

Well worth a listen as this podcast covers many of the regular talking points on here:

http://loyalcompanyrv.libsyn.com/lcrv-episode-184

Paul Beirne {45:00} points out at the end that what will make or break the league will be the number of renewals after year one. He emphasizes the importance of the game day experience related to fan group generated atmosphere in that context.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

8 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Paul Beirne {45:00} points out at the end that what will make or break the league will be the number of renewals after year one.

This is going to seem knit-picky, but he doesn't limit it to renewals after year one. He just says that renewals are an important indicator of success because it shows that people are enjoying the experience. Every other quote I've seen in the past has emphasized that the owners were in it for the long haul, and that they were aware it might take time to grow. The way you worded this made me think that owners might not be willing to stick it out if season 2 numbers are not up to snuff, but I don't think that was meant to be implied in his response.

Edited by C2SKI

On 3/20/2019 at 10:21 PM, m-g-williams said:

....and they're going through all their alt-right talking points/jabs....

one of the things I hate most about these forums....

edit: looks like some of the messages were deleted, but I was referring to pepe frog memes, folks calling others 'snowflakes', accusations of 'virtue signalling'.... expecting to be called cuck next...

Edited by yellowsweatygorilla

1 hour ago, yellowsweatygorilla said:

....and they're going through all their alt-right talking points/jabs....

one of the things I hate most about these forums....

alt-right?

Are you still here, bringing politics into the main forum? Every time you say something you look even more stupid, which I must say is quite an accomplishment.