CPL General

Still not how sure I would feel about DAZN. I guess at the end of the day if your a new league you have to take what you can get...but I think putting it online in relatively new and obscure service like DAZN is going to severely limit it's exposure to Canadians. At the very least I hope CPL has a plan to share game highlights on social media/youtube and hopefully Sportsnet and TSN would be able to show highlights as well.

16 hours ago, Copes said:

I haven't heard anything [about academies], and it seems like it isn't in early plans since most of the clubs are drawing pretty heavily from regional development programs. I suspect its a hope, but much like Promotion and Relegation, its something that will be established as the league grows.

Last night at the announcement of Marcel de Jong, I interviewed him for LSB TV and asked him about that. It was something hinted at in his introduction and I got the sense he is expecting some sort of academy to be created and is planning to be a part of it.

This would align with what Josh Simpson has been saying and I fully expect that once they get the club up and running, this will be built shortly thereafter. 

1 hour ago, mpg_29 said:

Still not how sure I would feel about DAZN. I guess at the end of the day if your a new league you have to take what you can get...but I think putting it online in relatively new and obscure service like DAZN is going to severely limit it's exposure to Canadians. At the very least I hope CPL has a plan to share game highlights on social media/youtube and hopefully Sportsnet and TSN would be able to show highlights as well.

Obscure? They have the rights to NFL Sunday Ticket and Redzone, that's pretty huge. 

57 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Maybe just coincidence, but USL 1 appear to have suddenly felt a need to let people know what they are doing:

ESPN+ is not available in Canada so I wonder how that affects the Canadian teams. Fury matches used to be broadcast on YouTube but that seems counter-intuitive if the rest of league matches are available on a paid streaming platform.

22 minutes ago, BuzzAndSting said:

ESPN+ is not available in Canada so I wonder how that affects the Canadian teams. Fury matches used to be broadcast on YouTube but that seems counter-intuitive if the rest of league matches are available on a paid streaming platform.

Pretty unsurprising that a US league wouldn't have the lone Canadian team's best interests at heart.  I am still baffled how this was seen as a better option than CPL...

Just now, dyslexic nam said:

I guess I misunderstood.  I thought this was a new development (and barrier) to watching Ottawa play. 

Could be, the tweet mentions both USL Championship and USL1 being on ESPN+ so who knows how Canadians will follow the Fury and the academy teams. It just seems to isolate the Fury in particular even more.

1 hour ago, BuzzAndSting said:

Could be, the tweet mentions both USL Championship and USL1 being on ESPN+ so who knows how Canadians will follow the Fury and the academy teams. It just seems to isolate the Fury in particular even more.

When you say "the academy teams", I assume you mean "TFC II" right? Since Vancouver and Montreal folded their reserve teams.

53 minutes ago, Kent said:

When you say "the academy teams", I assume you mean "TFC II" right? Since Vancouver and Montreal folded their reserve teams.

I'm not sure! I really should do some research but I thought the Caps and Impact were still running some lower level/age group teams and they would be moving to the USL structure.

Regardless the conversation is about USL matches being streamed on a service that isn't available in Canada so at this point that affects the Fury and TFC2.

3 hours ago, mpg_29 said:

Mediapro are massive, they have a tv station, produce tv shows and movies, like Woody Allen's Vicky Cristina Barcelona (which I frigging hate), and have basically come to dominate football rights in Spain, also international rights. They have the international rights for La Liga, and Spain rights for all UEFA club competitions, they'll also bought the rights for Ligue 1 in France starting in a few years.

They are rather aggresively trying to build a media empire, also looking at printed press, sports press. 

The owner Jaume Roures was an anti-Franco militant during the dictatorship, like in Trotskyist parties (here that is pretty normal), and is still a on the left politically, let's say the NDP would be a bit too soft and moderate for him. He was a great friend and colleague of Cruyff, is a vehement supporter of Catalan independence, his partners are rather talented art collectors and media people (I say this because I can judge what they collect). So he is a sort of hard-knocks self made maverick but knows his stuff.

For them to pick up CPL is really quite amazing since they actually believe there is something there, I find that impressive. I imagine this is about them positioning themselve in a small market in North America to make the next step towards going after MLS rights, or maybe our World Cup rights.