CPL General

Not sure if it means something or not but the market value for each team is in British Pounds and Cavalry is already at 653K (pounds) ( Transfermark ). Our transfer window opens February 7, so more signings (more expensive than now) are most likely on the way)

Dropping the conversion rate, safe to assume that it might end up being Max $1M CAN cap after all with maybe a floor of $700k-$850K?

Only takeaway is that I'll guess that there will be both a floor and max cap.

Edited by Ansem

1 hour ago, Ansem said:

Not sure if it means something or not but the market value for each team is in British Pounds and Cavalry is already at 653K (pounds) ( Transfermark ). Our transfer window opens February 7, so more signings (more expensive than now) are most likely on the way)

Dropping the conversion rate, safe to assume that it might end up being Max $1M CAN cap after all with maybe a floor of $700k-$850K?

Only takeaway is that I'll guess that there will be both a floor and max cap.

Transfer value is very different from annual salary. For example, I am finding a listing of Paul Pogba's salary as 15 million pounds, but his transfer fee was over 100 million Euros a couple years ago. Conversely, some people will transfer on a free despite getting paid a salary.

I wouldn't try to draw conclusions on the salary cap based on transfer value from transfermarkt.

1 minute ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Suspect that will be one year guaranteed with two club held option years rather than a European style three year contract. Something for the media that cover this stuff to investigate but they tend to be too cozy with the powers that be to ask awkward questions.

That might be the case, but do you have any particular reason to assume it is in fact 2 club option years?

2 years + option could be likely and/or the full 3 years.

Not many playing overseas would bother coming here for a 1 year + 2 optional years. Unless the optional years are more in line with the rest of FIFA (more equal), the MLS one sided optional are highly unattractive to players, let alone for a brand new unproven year.

Wouldn't be surprised at the full 3 years if that helped bring the cost down

Edited by Ansem

3 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

Suspect is not the same meaning as assume. They would be crazy to hand out three years guaranteed at this point to anyone other than the highest profile foundational players. Different story after the league is up and running and they are making decisions about players that have already shown what they can do in a CanPL context.

Why is this crazy. Camilo has shown the difficulty in selling a player with option years. If someone is willing to commit three years for $50k per year, that's a good piece of business I'd say. Now you can start building value in that player.

8 hours ago, youllneverwalkalone said:

Why is this crazy....

If you only have 20 roster spots for non-U-Sports players and are operating under a modest salary cap, you cannot afford to get tied into multiyear guaranteed commitments with players that quickly turn out to not be the answer you were looking for as inevitably happens with a lot of signings even when it isn't year one of a newly starting league.

Edited by BringBackTheBlizzard

12 hours ago, baulderdash77 said:

I’m surprised more of the USL guys aren’t moving over.  There have been some but not as many as I thought there would be.

Some will be moving into option years, but overall, if it is safe to assume that the players signed before training camp will be amongst those that the CanPL clubs rate most highly, the quality of signings so far points to something similar to what Fury Fanatic was describing when the Fury announced they were steering clear given how many L1O and PLSQ sort of level players have already been signed.

7 hours ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

If you only have 20 roster spots for non-U-Sports players and are operating under a modest salary cap, you cannot afford to get tied into multiyear guaranteed commitments with players that quickly turn out to not be the answer you were looking for as inevitably happens with a lot of signings even when it isn't year one of a newly starting league.

Your cup is always half empty. There are many ways to mutually terminate a multi year contract and we are not talking about a lot of money. In my opinion, the current "salary cap" is in no way reflective of the capitalization of the league or pockets of the owners. They are, rightly, focused on infrastructure and revenue streams not adding big player names. Tickets are selling themselves and the league is providing what it must be: a stable home for Canadians who have otherwise fallen through the cracks.

I'm not sure how that addresses what I wrote.  Another way to think about this is that by the end of year two some of the teams that have usually been at the wrong end of the standings may well be looking for the third head coach in their history and may well be onto a second GM type figure. You don't want future coaching and front office staff to still be stuck with legacy players at that point from decisions made back before the league even kicked off when there are effectively only twenty roster spots and only some of those players will be receiving the salary levels envisaged for starters. One plus two option years helps you keep a core group of players together with a coach when they bring you success, while also making it possible on the flip side to have a clear out when a new coach comes in and wants to move things in another direction with his own preferred set of players when things go in the other direction.

55 minutes ago, BringBackTheBlizzard said:

I'm not sure how that addresses what I wrote.  Another way to think about this is that by the end of year two some of the teams that have usually been at the wrong end of the standings may well be looking for the third head coach in their history and may well be onto a second GM type figure. You don't want future coaching and front office staff to still be stuck with legacy players at that point from decisions made back before the league even kicked off when there are effectively only twenty roster spots and only some of those players will be receiving the salary levels envisaged for starters. One plus two option years helps you keep a core group of players together with a coach when they bring you success, while also making it possible on the flip side to have a clear out when a new coach comes in and wants to move things in another direction with his own preferred set of players when things go in the other direction.

I certainly hope that's not the arrangement. Something else I hate about MLS is the year-by-year turnover. Players should have some guarantees/longer term stability. If a team wants to jettison players, they will need to work out arrangements either with other clubs or mutual termination. Teams should stick with players longer and nurture them. 

MLS is the way it is in large part because of having a salary cap and a fixed roster size. If you have an open-ended budget and no rigidly fixed limit on roster size as tends to be the case in European leagues, it's no huge problem if you wind up with some fringe players you would prefer not to have, because you can still sign new ones. CanPL is more like MLS than a European team in this regard because it has a salary cap and a fixed roster size...