CPL General

3 hours ago, dbailey62 said:

That's great. Pleased for him. Under different circumstances and with more minutes, he might have worked out well here.

Any word on his court issues? Have they been put to rest yet or is he still facing potential jail time? 

You mean him and another guy beating someone up?

In Spain you only do jail time if you are someone's political enemy, so you rot in remand. Don't even need a trial. Anything mere violent is treated softly. 

1 hour ago, Initial B said:

Sounds like it's the BC version of OPDL.

Would be interesting to see if they try to use the foundation of it and  position it as their D3 League? The D3 League's are run at the provincial league and as such there has been much discussion about the most obvious void, BC. With VMSL, FVSL and VISL along with the spring PCSL there are the clubs for it, but is there the desire for it, that's the real questin ?

1 hour ago, Cblake said:

Would be interesting to see if they try to use the foundation of it and  position it as their D3 League? The D3 League's are run at the provincial league and as such there has been much discussion about the most obvious void, BC. With VMSL, FVSL and VISL along with the spring PCSL there are the clubs for it, but is there the desire for it, that's the real questin ?

They tried a few years ago and the answer was "no".  Maybe something has changed, but it doesn't sound like it.  I'm still of the opinion that TSS Rovers and Victoria Highlanders should be leading the charge on a proper BC D3 league and leaving USL League Two.

5 hours ago, Big_M said:

Aketxe would only be a starter in the third tier of spain or lower..played around 40 minutes in the last 6 matchdays..can do something special once in a while but theres just not enough in his play to continuously be a starter

I'm glad you are an expert on the Spanish 2nd tier. Cadiz has 12 midfielders on their roster and he is basically tied in 4rd place for most minutes. And they are in a promotion playoff spot. Only a DM, a wing and a CM have more.

Seriously, it is one thing to be bothered about his play at TFC, another to simply lie and slag him gratuitously. He is playing at the same level as Hoillet was last year. 

No lie or bringing him down..at 2nd tier or higher he got 15 starts or more in a season once and it was at a dead last athletic bilbao b..over the last 6 matchdays Izquierdo, Vallejo, Salvi Sanchez, Fernandez and Agra were preferred to him as starters at cam and wing and the first 4 have more minutes than him in the league and dm's Garrido and Jose Mari also have more minutes

7 hours ago, Big_M said:

No lie or bringing him down..at 2nd tier or higher he got 15 starts or more in a season once and it was at a dead last athletic bilbao b..over the last 6 matchdays Izquierdo, Vallejo, Salvi Sanchez, Fernandez and Agra were preferred to him as starters at cam and wing and the first 4 have more minutes than him in the league and dm's Garrido and Jose Mari also have more minutes

Congrats on that hour you wasted on their website.

Anyone who thinks arguing Ath Bilbao ending dead last is a meaningful argument obviously has no idea what they are talking about. Your gloating is just a huge neon sign flashing ignorance hanging over your head. No B teams of top flight Liga sides survive in the second division, they all end up dropping out--because they play teenagers against guys who are internationals for teams ranked way higher than Canada. But how many of those teens go on to solid top flight careers? Dozens in fact. Not to mention: Bilbao's second team, like the first, only plays Basque players, no non Basques are signed--amazing to think they were even in Spanish 2nd. 

Then you cherry pick the last 6 fixtures to suit your silliness, instead of looking at the whole season, which would be minimally honest. 

I know TFC fans were frustrated by the player, made worse by his salary, but given the season, and how many players underperformed, including those making way more than Ager, it is simply specious to try to make an argument about him being a bust and whatever he does a disaster. 

But there is no need to be pathetic. Just admit he did not work for you, like basically most of the squad last season and most of all previous squads before 2016. The guy plays regularly on a team with ambitions to get into the best league in the world. I don't think, as we stand, that TFC is better than Cadiz, a team one of the greatest players Concacaf ever produced is a legend at.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

Make that 7 straight as a sub..stayed on the bench today in a 3-0 win

Its simple facts..a d3 player could still be a starter in mls like piette who is doing well..but teams wont want to keep an offensive player on an international spot for long if he isnt making much of an impact 

On 12/21/2018 at 12:31 PM, SpursFlu said:

It was a Carl Robinson signing. Just keep stock piling players who do the same thing

You think signing Aketxe (a midfielder who can shoot from distance) was a case of stockpiling players who do the same thing. What other midfielders that can shoot from distance does the team have? And then you say they should have gotten a solid CB, to go along with Moor, Mavinga, Hagglund, Zavaletta (Hagglund and Zavaletta we’re both solid in 2017), and Morrow who can fill in there as well.

Hind sight is 20/20. Aketxe didn’t work out. Not much more for me to say on that. Wait, what thread are we even in here?

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

Its simple facts..a d3 player could still be a starter in mls like piette who is doing well..but teams wont want to keep an offensive player on an international spot for long if he isnt making much of an impact 

You mean like Gio and Jozy last season, right? I didn't realise they were both being sold in the off-season.

You can't make this stuff up, frankly. If you TFC fans were half as demanding of your coach and FO as you are of this or that player, you could be taken seriously. 

Just to get back on topic: it will obviously be important for CPL to keep a lid on things and not overpay for anyone, or put too much expectations into a few "star" or international players. You have to be dominated by the modest lower middle class---the stars will end up emerging out of that, we will all be surprised, I am sure. So much so that I do think we will see one of our better younger Canadians in CPL called into a MNT camp.

Edited by Unnamed Trialist

16 hours ago, Big_M said:

16 minutes ago, Unnamed Trialist said:

You mean like Gio and Jozy last season, right? I didn't realise they were both being sold in the off-season.

You can't make this stuff up, frankly. If you TFC fans were half as demanding of your coach and FO as you are of this or that player, you could be taken seriously. 

Giovinco had 13 goals and 15 assists last year (in MLS regular season alone), and Altidore is domestic.

Edited by RS

8 hours ago, shamrock said:

And both are still well above average, even after a mediocre season. 

.... and Altidore started the year playing on an injured foot during the CCL which finally couldn't take anymore stress requiring in-season surgery! He finished 2017 and scored his MLS Cup winning goal on that same injured foot. Quite inspirational actually!

On 12/22/2018 at 2:13 AM, Unnamed Trialist said:

I'm glad you are an expert on the Spanish 2nd tier. Cadiz has 12 midfielders on their roster and he is basically tied in 4rd place for most minutes. And they are in a promotion playoff spot. Only a DM, a wing and a CM have more.

Seriously, it is one thing to be bothered about his play at TFC, another to simply lie and slag him gratuitously. He is playing at the same level as Hoillet was last year. 

To me, this is just more proof that we mustn’t judge league level too seriously. In some instances, such as this, the importance of the quality of league takes a backseat to the style of the league. It gets further complicated on the club level, since each club has a certain style of play or mental character, and sometimes a player fits and sometimes he doesn’t. 

Even though he didn’t work out at TFC, I have not fallen into the trap of thinking he isn’t a good player. Clearly he is, as evidenced by his minutes in Cadiz, in a familiar environment, where they are using him to his strengths no doubt. 

And merry Xmas to everyone out there today!

4 hours ago, BillyBob said:

Murray krismays, jowayu Noell.

Random questions,

Will the CSA and CPL accept solidarity payments?

Also, 

I already know about League 1 Ontario and PLSQ.

I heard rumours about other similar leagues getting set up in BC and Alberta, has anyone else?

The CPL acquired L1O, we stil ldon't know about PLSQ. I know there is a plan of creating a semi-pro in BC since a while, maybe the CPL can create it, if they're willing to create semi-pro all around the country (which is a good thing). Maybe A West semi-pro (BC andAlberta) may be more realistic?

On 12/25/2018 at 3:13 PM, Dominic94 said:

They had tried to start a Semi pro league in BC but didn’t get enough interest for ownership.

Some of the requirements were too high. They'll have to try again, maybe with a BC/Alberta angle this time.

Would like to see these regional Division 3 league's re-branded "CPL3".

Edited by CDNFootballer

1 hour ago, CDNFootballer said:

Some of the requirements were too high. They'll have to try again, maybe with a BC/Alberta angle this time.

Would like to see these regional Division 3 league's re-branded "CPL3".

Shouldnt there be a 2nd division with a proper pyramid system before you start calling leagues CPL3?

• 2 weeks later...

Love the deducted points due to suspected witchcraft! I guess my team(Pacific FC), if we gather some Salt Spring Island fans, could be the most likely to be accused of this in the future. Or at the very least have the most fans supporting alternative medicine alternatives:)

On the recent signings and such, I have continued to be pleasantly surprised. I honestly had a really low bar on the initial roster quality, but some of the teams are already showing a solid core. I can visualize a few lineups that are quite nice. York seems to have a solid base. Valour FC, if nothing else, look like they will be a solid, bunch of experienced minor pros. 

I like that it continues to be mostly Canadian and a lot of guys who are part of the level of players that become lost without a domestic pro league. The guys that may not make the national team, but can provide adequate depth and fill in some roles. 

I am excited to see more young talent like Marcel Zajac jump on board.