CPL General

I think all this speculation about what type of internationals will be signed is a product of being trained by MLS to think of each roster spot as having specific rules that a player must match this, this, this, and this in order to be signed. I think the international spots will be used by CPL teams to sign international players, and that their age, experience, position on the field, leadership qualities, etc, will vary from player to player.

Edited by Kent
Sometimes my iPad gives me a number when I want a letter.

Whoa.

While one part of me finds this hilarious, the other part of me is worried the Fury might fold over this. People rich enough to own sports teams don't like to be dictated to, the only way Goudie was going to switch was on his own terms

Whatever you think about the Fury for skipping out on CPL, they would be a loss to Canadian soccer

Edited by Complete Homer

To clarify, this was a unilateral move by Concacaf. Canada Soccer approved Ottawa to play in the USL, but Concacaf believes that the CPL's existence nullifies the "exceptional circumstance" which previously permitted it to play in the US.

On another note, I'm excited to have a club to support in the this season. I'm excited the city I grew up in will finally be part of Canadian soccer history, even if it has to get dragged kicking and screaming into it.

Just now, Zem said:

To clarify, this was a unilateral move by Concacaf. Canada Soccer approved Ottawa to play in the USL, but Concacaf believes that the CPL's existence nullifies the "exceptional circumstance" which previously permitted it to play in the US.

On another note, I'm excited to have a club to support in the this season. I'm excited the city I grew up in will finally be part of Canadian soccer history, even if it has to get dragged kicking and screaming into it.

So it's Vic tossing his weight around?

Just now, Gopherbashi said:

So it's Vic tossing his weight around?

I mean, it's probably justified. The "exceptional circumstance" was probably that there wasn't another league at a comparable level in Canada, but now there is. Clubs can't just play in another country's league just because they feel like it, there needs to be a clear reason relating to opportunity and/or level of play.

Also, Concacaf has a board of directors which makes decsions like this, so it probably wasn't just Montagliani.

23 minutes ago, Zem said:

I mean, it's probably justified. The "exceptional circumstance" was probably that there wasn't another league at a comparable level in Canada, but now there is. Clubs can't just play in another country's league just because they feel like it, there needs to be a clear reason relating to opportunity and/or level of play.

Also, Concacaf has a board of directors which makes decsions like this, so it probably wasn't just Montagliani.

Yes, well said!

1 hour ago, Zem said:

But would they not have to do the same thing to TFCII, who also play in the USL, if not it would give the Fury what they need to challenge it, wonder if this means the CPL would have to take them in if the CSA insists on them doing it? 

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

But would they not have to do the same thing to TFCII, who also play in the USL, if not it would give the Fury what they need to challenge it, wonder if this means the CPL would have to take them in if the CSA insists on them doing it? 

I think that the TFC II situation is a bit different; it’s essentially a reserve club which should play in D2 or lower, while Ottawa isn’t. Ottawa never had an available route to D1 before because there wasn’t a Canadian D1, hence the sanctioning exception that was made for them. I think they are in trouble. When a nationally sanctioned D2 comes around, I’m confident that TFC II will be required to move there too. 

1 minute ago, Ams1984 said:

I think that the TFC II situation is a bit different; it’s essentially a reserve club which should play in D2 or lower, while Ottawa isn’t. Ottawa never had an available route to D1 before because there wasn’t a Canadian D1, hence the sanctioning exception that was made for them. I think they are in trouble. When a nationally sanctioned D2 comes around, I’m confident that TFC II will be required to move there too. 

TFC II is actually playing in the USL D3 league this year but I don't see them being pushed to L1O. I just wonder how the courts will see it if it ends up there.

1 minute ago, Cblake said:

TFC II is actually playing in the USL D3 league this year but I don't see them being pushed to L1O. I just wonder how the courts will see it if it ends up there.

It’s impossible to predict the judicial process. I would say that a court case can generally take years, the Fury don’t have that sort of time. Their only play is to try to seek an injunction, which is a possibility, but injunctions are understandably not easy to get; a regular Court decision makes whole, by remedying a past or ongoing wrong, but an injunction prevents an imminent one, and so naturally they are tougher to get. Worth a shot for the Fury I guess, but they won’t have it easy.

20 minutes ago, Ams1984 said:

Time for Ottawa to call themselves a reserve club of Montreal.

8 minutes ago, Gopherbashi said:

Time for Ottawa to call themselves a reserve club of Montreal.

The Fury hasn’t really actively promoted the affiliation with the Impact.  If they were now to be a “reserve” side for them, I’d cancel my season tickets.

3 hours ago, Complete Homer said:

Whatever you think about the Fury for skipping out on CPL, they would be a loss to Canadian soccer

100% agree, especially considering how much canadian content they've played/given minutes to

We all want to see them in the CPL, i do hope OSEG finally makes that decision now that they have their backs against the wall